SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wittynicknamehere

Floods, destroyed highways, broken overpasses and train tracks...

And yet not one post about it yet here. The #1 Highway from Abbotsford BC to Hope is closed. The Coquihala Highway has many parts washed right out. The road is completely gone. Mud slides, rock slides, flooding: you name it. Over 250mm of rain fell in a short period of time along with high winds. The entire city of Merritt BC was evacuated: my husbands cousin lives there. The Sumas Valley south of Abbotsford and going into the US is under water. Sumas WA is flooded. If the pumps can't keep up in the valley, the Fraser River runs the risk of bursting and the whole valley will become a lake. I have family in Abbotsford and luckily for them: they are safe for now. They live on the north side of a mountain facing the city, but are at the bottom of the mountain. I called to make sure there were no slides. They said there was, but on the south side of the mountain that affected two homes. They feel their side is more rocky so the believe they're safe from a slide. I don't have the same confidence. The entire Fraser valley is now cut off from the rest of Canada. With the main route of of there closed to the floods and washed out highway, supplies coming from ships overseas are all stuck in the harbours. Trucks cannot get out. The backlog of rigs west of Kamloops BC is starting. There is an area on the #3 highway that was also affected. But even then: it connects to the #1 which is closed at Hope. It's a huge disaster which the province has had enough of this year. They suffered through the worse forest fires in their history and now the worst flooding they've ever seen. I don't know why Mother Nature hates BC so much. It's a stunning province. If anyone in Canada thinks this won't have a domino effect, think again: our supply chain is very broken right now.

On the upside: Canadians who can cross into the US from the Peace Arch (or other exits to the US), do not have to follow Covid protocol, but I'm pretty sure they'll have a strict timeline and route to follow to get back into Canada another way. BUT: I don't know how they'll get back into Canada as we have to have a negative PCR test to get back in.

Comments (37)