FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
raggiosole

Living room layout - Need Help

Raggio Sole
2 months ago

This is the living room and corresponding dimensions. I am lost in terms of the proper furniture layout. I am in the process of purchasing sofas, coffee table, etc and need help deciding proper placement. I would love to keep the room open by placing 2 different leather sofas, one big and one small one, right in front of each other with a round coffee table in between. Should I fit a chair in there too? Am I doing it right? I previously had a big leather sectional in the room and it made the room seem smaller and blocking the entry into the room. I’d love to hear what the experts would do. Leather sofas are expensive and really don’t want to mess this up again. I definitely need help with this. Thanks in advance!

Comments (110)

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Jen.

@RLRELOCATION here is the pic of that coffee table on the new rug that just arrived as well.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

what if you stained it black? then I think what if we wait for the sofa so there is a better scale?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

Then I do this, and think maybe those are too refined.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

I am more into cozy farmhouse than refined modern, so that table is not doing it for me

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

Ugggh. on the coffee table, rug is MUCH better and get the Bluestone. For heavens sake, that is what scale drawings are for. : ) A 28 x 56 table in front of a 90 inch sofa is just perfect. You made a less expensive choice, it's "busy" ..it's brown tones like the sofa, also not great. Return it.

Here's just two of the many times I've used that ........Two in the first pic, butted together!

In general · More Info

Alone here : )

General · More Info

Oh! here too, though you can't see it: )

Interior Design Work · More Info

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

Beautiful pictures. Thank you @JAN. I love the bluestone look for sure! Since the Four Hands coffee table is expensive and it might not be delivered soon enough anyway, I ended up purchasing a 60” beautiful bluestone slab from a local bluestone rock yard. My husband will cut it a bit if too long and he is going to make the table base as well. He can either weld the steel base, just as the Four Hands coffee table, or he can build the bas out of wood, whatever I want him to do. So, do you recommend sticking with a metal base or is a wood base similar to the pics below an option in my room? I just need to let him know and he will execute 😉

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

The beauty of the Four Hands Is the open quality and the simplicity. Why make it more complicated? Just make certain the top has SUPPORT

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

steel base for sure.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

Sounds great! Will do. Thank you. Leather sofa will be delivered this week, coffee table will be completed this week as well. I will post pics when everything is in place. In the mean time, I am thinking about the two floor lamps to place in the room, one next to the tv and the adjustable pharmacy lamp to go next to the leather sofa. I have this lamp in the pic below but I think it is way too short and won’t coordinate with the table anyway. Also what do you think about this pharmacy lamp from pottery barn?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

oh boy the plan is in full action <3

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

What are you going to do with the fan light?

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

The fan light will be replaced. I am thinking about one of those 3 options below.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

not that fan for sure. the wheel is too large, scale is everything here. you have 9 or 10-foot ceilings so you really have to think about how low it will hang, and how that affects the appearance so either a semi flush or another fan. as this fixture will be in the main traffic area of the room.

• njmomma
    last month

I like the black fan! #1 but @RL Relocation is correct. Your ceiling may be too low for it.

• PRO
  • Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

Yes, I really like that fan @RL. I also like that black 3 light fixture. What should I do for the 2 floor lamp style? I am tackling those next

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

i like the one you got, I think the other needs to wait for the sofa to be in the room honestly.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    24 days ago

The sofa and coffee table are in place. Here are a few pics. I LOVE the room now and I would have never set it up this nice without all your help. Thank you so much!! Could you now help me to finish the room? I need help with side tables and lamp.

1. Is the side table I have between the two swivel chairs ok? I already owned it and not sure if it looks ok there.
    2. Which style side table should I place next to the leather sofa? How about black metal legs with white marble top? Round or rectangular?
    3. Which adjustable pharmacy lamp next to the sofa should I go with?
    4. Which floor lamp should I place to the right of the tv? I returned the one I had, it was too greenish and it was 62” tall and made the room look so short.
      If you guys send me links to the stuff you think I need I will just purchase them and move on. Thank you!!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    24 days ago

Nice! Lose the dumpy fan : )

All on the sofa can reach the cocktail.....a little accessorizing please? Kids/practical : ) A stack of books, a basket for magazines,,,,,, remotes ...texture.

Emphasize a little. What is between the chairs? Seems fine though can't see closely.

I'm picky on l amps.beware huge shades. ......and square shades.

Get some ART OVER THE FIRE,,,,,,, Pull some color from that, for pillows......and even a couple pouf ottomans : ) at the chairs

Lights on Shades of Light

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    23 days ago

Love it. I am guessing you will center the rug once the tree is gone? I think you really need to change that fan out, it's going to make a big impact on the room. I would also pull the sofa and chairs off the wall a little. Little nesting tables might be nice next to the sofa, some pillows with texture, and maybe a sheepskin ish throw blanket on the sofa? Lamps are hard and slightly personal. I like the floor lamp that Jan posted bc it looks adjustable.

You could do a seme flush or small chandelier or you could do a 44-inch fan I love the wave from Minka Aire.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Awesome! I am going with the plan then. I got all the lamps Jan suggested. I really like them. I got the Minka Air Wave fan and those nesting tables. Previously, Jan recommended an adjustable pharmacy lamp between the fireplace and sofa. Should I still get one? If so, which style? Are any of these any good?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    23 days ago

wait on the additional lamp, so we can really see what it looks like. I am so excited you got the minka fan love that fan.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    23 days ago

ottoman? also I redid the fireplace hahaha

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    23 days ago

The two standing lamps were for both sides of couch...put a TABLE lamp between the chairs. Yes to fan. yes to ottoman or pouf.

Good GRIEF LOL Have we taught you nothing ???: ) RL and I will not rest unti;l the kludgy fire wall is cleaned up and UN I FIED

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Got it. So, I will purchase one more of those standing lamps, so I have one at each sofa end. Thank you for pointing that out! Unifying, centering and cleaning the fire wall is definitely part of the plan and I will update as we move along for sure. Everything just takes time for us since it’s all DIY projects and kids are around 🤪

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    22 days ago

Oh, that is too funny Jan! this room will be a showcase when finished lol.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Update:

we installed 8 recessed ceiling lights as well as a new ceiling fan;

floor lamps and table lamps are here;

little nesting tables are here.

Here are lots of pics showing different possible configurations. What should I do? (any light that doesn't work in here I can move it to a different room)

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    6 days ago

More configurations:

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    6 days ago

More configurations:

• Kathy Furt
    6 days ago

I personally don’t like the small end tables with any of the lamps. Have you tried having the couch face the tv with the coffee table in front of it? It still looks unbalanced to me. But I’m no pro!!

• Kathy Furt
    6 days ago

I like the floor lamps without end tables at all

• Kathy Furt
    6 days ago

And you need a mirror over the fireplace

• pat1250
    6 days ago

Following

• liasch
    6 days ago

This option looks best to me, working with what you have. I would not bracket the couch with the two floor lamps.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

For heaven sake..............the purpose of the cocktail was it's easy reach. The little wood table is too small. Return it.

Move the entire arrangement forward a bit, get the couch on center with the bog window..........and just do as below.

Nothing will feel perfect until the fire wall is unified..........: ) Putting the standing lamps at end corners?? Simply draws an eye to a not great wall. Stop.

Keep ONE of the two table lamps - I'd keep the navy/gray

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Perfect. Thank you for the feedback. @JAN when you say the navy/gray table lamp, do you mean the one with the two-tone base?
    We’ll tackle the fireplace wall next :-).

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 days ago

I mean the two tone base , yes )

• liasch
    5 days ago

Jan, do you think this works? I don’t think it works particularly well.

• Amanda Smith
    5 days ago

How about a large oval mirror over the fireplace to break up all those rectangles and to add some balance?

• Amanda Smith
    5 days ago

• Amanda Smith
    5 days ago

Have you tried floating the sofa in the room opposite the tv wall with the the chairs on the other wall, lamp in between the chairs, tree in the opposite window?

• Amanda Smith
    5 days ago

I would remove all those items from the mantel. I wouldn’t aim for symmetry on the mantel since that wall is not symmetrical. You need items in an asymmetrical arrangement.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Does it work......... she asked above

way back when I did this, over 150 comments ago.....:. The inches do not lie. It is to scale. 1/4 inch to one foot.

None of us can fix the bones/flaws in the space, and by that I mean the things beyond selection. of furnishings. UNIFY the flooring to hardwood - the tile ? WHY???

Unify the disjointed wall of fire.

But the inches above do not lie." "

EVERYTHING ELSE IS BEATING A DEAD HORSE : )

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 days ago

LOVE IT

But loose the frilly on the mantel, pull the sofa and chairs in a bit. And something about the table lamp is too stout. Maybe it's a reading lamp? Anyway it looks absolutely amazing.. and I love the fan

:)

• liasch
    4 days ago

That looks good… I like the painting over the fireplace idea. I guess my problem with the table lamp on the left-hand side of the couch is it looks like it’s floating in space but perhaps it looks better from the whole room view.

• Amanda Smith
    4 days ago

I also like the painting there. The wall looks balanced now. Nothing will look right in that room until the wall looks balanced, imho.

• Kathy Furt
    4 days ago

Ok so the room is too small to move the couch? Got it

• Amanda Smith
    4 days ago

Looks to me like the sofa will fit facing the fireplace if the chairs go in each corner.

• everdebz
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Above is your photo showing 'cage' lantern frames--- of coffee table, 2 lamps, dining light - it has a very nice look. Over mantel, simple art/ canvas piece that suits the neutrals on that wall in particular will work fine. RL's black frame/ art 'creates' a 3 item triangle shape that's pleasing imo.

• everdebz
    4 days ago

H 13.96" standard, low, or angled mounting. Contemporary with a little flare of retro. Includes Integrated light kit with painted cased white glass. 4'' and 2'' downrods.

Casablanca 44" Wisp Pewter Ceiling Fan With Light and Remote · More Info