SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funlife22

Mystery Apricot Tree ID Help

funlife22
2 years ago

Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago (2019) I was asked to help an acquaintance with her yard-full of apricot trees. She asked me to pick as many as I could because she couldn't keep up with them all (lucky me!). Among the trees was one in particular that had by far the best apricots. They were good sized (probably around 3 inches), freestone, and the skin was an unusual pale yellow color with some light green tint with no orange or red blush that I saw. When fully ripe, the greenish tint was either very subtle or not visible. The flesh was also pale yellow, and they were soft and very juicy but still had nice texture and were easily bruised, but not mushy. The flavor was outstanding, super sweet and yet mild, like cotton candy. These are by far the best apricots I have ever eaten. It seemed to have ripened a little later than the others, and was a big mature, productive tree that definitely had to be at least 20 years old. The tree is in Santa Fe, which is on the edge of zone 6/7. The tree couldn't have been happier or healthier from what I could see and the fruits were in perfect condition. The owner did not know the name of the variety.

Now, I have a place to plant an apricot tree, and I'm hoping to figure out what kind of tree that was. I've scoured the web and haven't found any cultivars with pictures or descriptions that really match. It seems to be some kind of white apricot, but all of those that I've found online either appear a bit too orange or gold, or have an orange blush or the wrong flavor description. I'm hopeful that someone here might have an idea. I could probably get some wood from the tree to graft, but I've never grafted before.

Big thanks ion advance for any feedback. :)

Comments (5)