SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_346141131

Design help for over-the-toilet cabinet for powder room

Kelly Kay
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have the difficult dilemma of finding a good "looks meet function" solution for my powder bathroom.

While remodeling our kitchen, we unexpectedly ended up rolling our powder bath into it, thanks to most of the first floor needed new tile (entire remodel began due to a burst pipe), so we have to figure this out and fast.

The powder bath is about 8' foot long and barely 3' wide (without base trim installed). The walls are not straight and the bathroom doors opens to the inside of the bathroom, so we cannot move and cannot expand into any other areas. The room has 9' ceilings so it does feel a bit bigger.

I'm ripping off old wallpaper and will likely paint the walls a dark color or possible eventually wallpaper once I figure out the over-the-toilet cabinet situation and medicine cabinet one.

We had a dated clamshell shaped pedestal sink and are replacing it with a modern one. This is because the wall is not straight for a vanity and the door opens into the sink area so smaller is better. This means there is zero storage inside the bathroom without a cabinet.

This is a 1st floor powder bath and the main floor doesn't have a good closet (the only closet is barely 2' wide) so the old cabinet I have is used to store everything from cleaning products, to extra toilet paper and hygiene products. The medicine cabinet holds the main medicines everyone in the family uses so we don't have bottles opened everywhere.

Now, while I know that some floating shelves would likely look amazing, the things I'm storing are not pretty, therefore I don't want to see them or have them get dusty.

I've shown a picture of the old cabinet, which worked good for storage but makes the area feel small. I think part of it is the cabinet is almost in the middle of the wall (with a 20" of clearance above it). If I moved the current cabinet higher (and paint or re-stain it, and get new doors), would that help? I'm thinking to start the base of the cabinet closer to kitchen upper cabinet height (about 6" higher than current position or 56" up from the floor) and then extend it to the ceiling? Would filling in that space make it feel larger?

I'm also trying to figure out how to redo the medicine cabinet. I'm wondering if I get a new door and make the framing around it smaller if that would work? I have electrical in the wall over the sink so I cannot recess a cabinet there, as well as I'd have to patch the old cabinet.

Finally, once I do figure out the cabinet layout, do I make it dark and hide it (my other cabinets in my house are now a very dark, almost black stain) or paint it trim or other light color to make it pop since I plan to have these walls very dark (lighter colors are too shadowed in here and other than being dated, I liked the darkness of the old wallpaper).

Trying to get the biggest bang without having to redo everything as again, this was a last minute "Oh crap, we are replacing the floors and ripping out the plumbing so we should replace these while fixtures are out" sort of scenario.

(Yes, I plan to get a new light as well, to modernize the room.)

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!