SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bablabla75

7.5 vs. 9 ft Christmas tree? How hard is it to decorate a 9 ft tree?

Sarah
2 years ago

We're about to close on our new house after a lifetime in small, crappy apartments. We're finally replacing our ancient 4-ft tree with something large that will fit nicely in our fancy new living room. We expect to have it for a long time, so we're willing to spend some money, but I'm conflicted on what size to get.

Our living room has 14' ceilings that slope down on the sides to 10'. According to every site on the internet, we should get a tree that's 10 feet or more. I'm reluctant to do that because it sounds like a lot of work to decorate and store. I thought I could round down to 9', but that still sounds like a big hassle to decorate. I'll have to have a stepladder, and it'll be a hassle to string the lights and do everything else. So I convinced myself that a 7.5 foot tree was the right choice, but I wonder if I'll regret that later and would have wished I'd spent a few hundred more dollars on the 9 ft.

I mocked up some trees in a photo of the living room, based on the convenient fact that our doors are 8' tall. Here's how that looks:

I feel like the 9' definitely looks better. But also... maybe it's going to be too much work. We aren't showy people, and I don't need to have some tremendous fancy tree that "befits" our room. I really enjoy decorating the tree every year, but my husband doesn't care too much, so I'll mostly be doing it alone unless/until our toddler grows up and is interested in doing it too. So I'm concerned that if I get the better-looking 9 ft tree, it'll become so inconvenient that it might materially harm an activity I really enjoy. I don't want to get to the point where decorating the Christmas tree is work and not fun.

Has anybody had experiences with a 9 ft or 7.5 ft tree that they could share to help me decide on this? Is a 9 ft too much work and I'd be happier with a 7.5?

Additional relevant facts:

• Maybe that isn't exactly the best place for the tree. We haven't decided. That's one option and a convenient place to mock it up in the living room.
  • I don't want a pre-lit tree. I'm picky about my Christmas lights because I am cursed with the ability to see LEDs' strobe, which I find distracting and unpleasant. I also like a certain kind of twinkle that is hard to find. So I want the freedom to change lights out without having to replace the tree.
  • We're considering one of Balsam Hill's flip trees. That seems to add about $500 to the price and buys us convenience, but also it means we have a very large tree to store the other 11 months of the year. Our new house is big, so I guess we'd have the space, but I just worry I may regret that choice later. Our house is single story, so stairs/attics/basements aren't really a concern.

Thanks!

Comments (80)