SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Should I keep the Oak or the Beech?

I'm clearing out trees on the western side of my property, planning to put in fruit and nut trees in the Spring.

In my yard, though, there are 4 larger trees. I'm definitely removing two of them, but I'm thinking that I MIGHT keep one of the other two for a little bit of a wind and sun break for the new orchard.

Here are the two I'm looking at:

You see a tree stump on the far left (was a red oak), then a wild American holly tree that looks like it's right next to what I THINK is a beech, but it's really about 15' behind it.

Then on the far right of the picture is a red oak, and another smaller oak just behind and to the left of it (but in reality, also about 15' behind it). The smaller one that you see to the left of THAT one is farther back and will be coming down.

In reality, the beech is about 15' south of the oak.

The oak is about 24" in diameter, the beech is closer to 18" in diameter.

I'm not sure if this picture helps, but the oak is a bit taller than the beech:

I'm guessing that the beech is around 60' tall, and the oak is around 75-80' tall.

I'm planning to keep the holly trees, they only get a little bigger than the orchard trees I'm planning so they should fit in well and give some color through the winter.

The orchard will be just past where these two trees are, on the western side of them.

So the question is, would you take down the beech, oak, both, or neither?

Comments (9)