SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

Root-pruning a small potted evergreen

bart bart
2 years ago

I have a small evergreen tree that needs to be re-potted ; I forget what it's called, but I think it's the plant in this picture: https://www.123rf.com/photo_14109780_dwarf-evergreen-tree-in-a-green-plastic-pot-growing-on-a-sunny-patio.html. Now, I have no real knowledge of true "container gardening"; up until now I've just grown stuff up in pots until I could plant it out at my land. But I'd like to keep some stuff for my terrace; from comments I've seen on the rose forums I understand that to grow large plants in pots for years requires that periodically it's necessary to pull them out of their pots, prune the roots, and change the soil.

The pot in which this plant is presently growing is about 36 cm diameter by 30 deep (14 inches by 12). It would be nice to keep it in that size pot,but is it too small? Most of all, just how does one root-prune? Do I just sort of "shave" off a layer of surface roots all around the root-ball?

Many thnks in advance. I'm putting this up on the rose forum,too, mainly because trying to navigate Houzz in order to locate container gardening and tree forums is irritating; why can't they make anything straight forward???

Comments (3)