SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kl23

New bathroom on main floor

kl23
2 years ago
last modified: last year

I've moved my laundry room to a better place an am converting it to a 3/4 bath on the main floor. I am attaching a draft plan. I want to implement the plan within the year. The size of the interior space is 142" x 70" and 8ft high. The water heater is already there and shoved up against the wall as illustrated. It's all on a concrete slab. The only exterior wall is the thick wall on the right side in the plan that is the back wall of the shower. Those are full height walls between the vanity and toilet and between the toilet and shower. I'd like to have a curbless shower. I need to break up the concrete floor to install a sewer line for the toilet. I know it will be expensive and messy. I also am not all that skilled with materials selection. I'd like to have help from HOUZZ users in the whole process.

Comments (342)

• Sharon Levandowski
    last year

I finished my dining room. I’m done for now. This fall i will do my office. Your memory is great. :)

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

Today after work I called the Warmly Yours company for help programming the floor. They did a great job. The electrician is coming tomorrow to investigate why the shower floor isn't heating and why the floor sensor isn't connected, but I love the feeling of warm stones at my feet. 

Then the iRobot guy and I figured out my Braava has a loose plug-in to the base station. Otherwise, the cute little bugger cleaned my new floor tonight. I have it scheduled to clean in there every morning. Hmmm... I should probably schedule for evening so it doesn't startle the trades.

And... The painter painted the blue tile edges in the shower arch the SW Silverplate. I like it. It's a good fix.

• Related Discussions

Question on new circuit from new subpanel to 2nd floor bathroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you Ron. The bid I received from my contractor to do this seems outlandish and I was trying to see if there were other options. I thought it might be more cost efficient to not have to open up the walls on two floors etc. I agree it looks better than having the conduit running horizontally up the house. But right now the bid is too prohibitive for the extra subpanel/circuit. The radiant floor itself is a minimal addition.
    ...See More

Favorite wall color for a tiny main floor half bathroom?

Q

Comments (27)
    I am drawn to the first floral you posted. although I worry that my tastes tends toward to "granny" sometimes and with the pink tile want to be careful to avoid that. I hear what you are saying about a frame providing more impact, so definitely open to replacing the mirror with a framed one. I'd also like something else (a print? ) above the toilet, the medicine cabinet is empty and is not necessary for the room.
    ...See More

Shower floor & main bathroom floor tile that will work w/ this design?

Q

Comments (2)
    Are those metallic elements really approved for use in a shower? I anticipate green streaks to follow. 0.o Love the overall look here. If those tiles are really wet-approved, then I guess you have two main choices for the floor. 1) a marble-look porcelain tile with not too much veining. seems like it would harmonize here. 2) simple white or light gray tiles that don't really compete with the other elements here. I'd lean light gray, as I think it would make the white parts feel even whiter, and there are some tiles that are very light "concrete" looks that would have a midcentury feel that would fit perfectly. plus, gray is better upkeep (less discoloration over time) than white, especially the grout. Gonna be a great-looking bath!
    ...See More

3/4 bathroom on main floor - no bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    It's your house. We have a 3/4 bath downstairs kinda near the kitchen and family room, which might normally be just a powder room, but we didn't build this house, so we didn't choose this. I thought it was weird at first, but 20 years later, it's great! Especially if you have sweaty teenagers coming home from sports or work; they can shower immediately, and not spread their yick-iness upstairs.
    ...See More
  • Sharon Levandowski
    last year

I like that look better. I would love a heated floor. luxurious ! Sometimes thats the best part of my pedicure is the warm stone massage. Enjoy!

• Lynn Lou
    last year

What a beautiful bathroom! Everything looks so lovely. Cute little teak seat and love the picture!

Great color choice for the edge of the tiles. That looks really good!

Enjoy!!

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou @Sharon Levandowski @Kelly Kay @palimpsest I am still trying to find light fixtures for the vanity, now that I realize that, even at its brightest, the back-lit mirror cannot provide enough light. And I need something that will look good with the rest of what is there, even if I have to move the robe hooks so it doesn't look too cluttered. Its important that I get enough lumens. I read 1600 lumens is minimum. What do you think is minimum? I am aiming for something that will be contemporary and artistic, an organic glam vibe. I have been going with a moon-over-a-white-sand-beach theme at the vanity. I'm thinking meteor shower like lights, but am worried they won't provide enough light. Ideas and shopping welcome, but only if it is fun for you. I have three other bathrooms to style so I'd like to be considering those as I shop too. I'm thinking the overall style of our home will have a nature theme but in a glam way rather than rustic. I read an article on organic glam and love the look for us. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/style-mix-organic-glam-stsetivw-vs~729066

I also like this look and think the two are somewhat compatible, but this is the lesser. I mostly love the drama of a focal point, and making the focal point bright and light with a dark background is a basic glam style that isn't ostentatios. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/so-your-style-is-darkly-romantic-stsetivw-vs~5422789

Anyway...help with pendants? Even guidance about length, number of lights, type of lights (LED, incandescent) diameter, metals (currently have brushed nickel and bronze), and of course lumens.

@Jan Moyer your advice also would be welcome. You seem to have terrific lighting sources.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

I just realized, the vanity pulls are a dull brushed gold and the entry door handles are polished brass, so maybe a gd fixture also would fit in.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

I've posted some ideas in my idea book for "downstairs bathroom".

• Kelly Kay
    last year

@kl23 If you want proper mirror lighting so a guest could do their makeup (or you can when aging in place), then you really need some sconce lighting to avoid the harsh look. The issue is you don't have wiring in place and now tile is in the way, so that could complicate things for install. You want sconce lighting in the front so it does what it should or for logistical reasons, I'd suggest the sides, but then it won't light like it should. or look right. :( You might have to go for one of those bar overhead lights for above the mirror to get the lighting where you need it, even though it isn't ideal. Your tile is fancy so you want simple lighting to not take away from the tile and mirror.

Regarding decorating, you usually want to repeat a color at least twice. The teak stool is nice, but you should repeat it again in the decor somewhere, either in a smaller teak item, or something that has teak coloring. That is what helps tie a room together. Just like you should repeat metal finishes more than once if you're mixing metals (rule is at least twice).

I hope that helps.

Looking forward to hearing if you are warm enough with the heated flooring when you shower and how well it ventilates or if you have humidity issues. With mold a huge issue where I live, that was one of our concerns.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

I read this article and wanted to share in case you all found it useful. https://www.luminapro.co/blogs/news/how-to-choose-the-best-lighting-for-your-makeup#:~:text=Professional MUAs recommend doing makeup,without the warm, orange hue.

And I've been shopping for vanity pendants and figured out how to share my shopping cart to see what you all liked. https://www.lampsplus.com/wish-list/

Thoughts? @Lynn Lou, you've been going all over choosing vanity lights lately. What do you think? 

Also, the electrician plans to have them connected to the switch that turns on all the ceiling wafer lights (which has a dimmer switch), as opposed to turning them on with the backlit mirror. I'm ok with that, but does anyone think they should be connected to the mirror switch instead of have a better idea?

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Kelly Kay thanks much for your detailed and thoughtful response. The electrician said he could easily connect to the ceiling wiring. Because of the complexity of the plumbing, a lot of the "guts" of this bathroom plus the future one right above it is in the ceiling. He thought he would do less damage if I chose pendants connected to the ceiling than if I wanted wall sconces on the side walls. I'd want to hang the light part of the pendant low enough and far enough back that the light would shine at face level and forward onto my face. Sound OK? I just want to make sure there is enough light and am worried I will choose pendants that don't add enough light.

Are you saying the teak stool isn't close enough in appearance to either the wood vanity or the little baskets? I looked for other teak items and didn't find anything appropriate. I found a few kitchen items and laughed about creative decorating in a bathroom with teak spoons. :-) Are you thinking I need to choose a different stool in there? Maybe rattan to go better with the baskets and vanity? I'll attach a picture of my current items with the stool. I looked on Amazon for a rattan shower stool and didn't see one but did see this interesting acrylic shower stool. Though I think it may be a water-spot magnet. I think I may try it anyway. I bought the little teak stool when I had severe breathing issues; I wasn't thinking about decor, just needing to sit down before I fell down. Yet, my vision of the primary bedroom/bathroom could work with a little teak stool. I have some nice Hawaiian prints I was using as inspiration for that room. A teak stool would fit in. So, it won't be wasted. Thoughts? Can anyone find a rattan stool or a brown that would better fit the vanity etc? 

Thanks for the tip on mixing metals and other items (repeating at least twice). I have brushed nickel repeated, bronze once but it picks up the flecks in the wavy tile and the little brown baskets. The brushed gold color in the vanity and polished brass door handle are both lonely but make a sort of odd couple. I've considered replacing the vanity handles with nickle and acrylic or even bronze or brass and acrylic. I found an acrylic and brushed nickel vanity handle. Now I'm thinking that and the acrylic stool will work nicely. This teak "problem" could help me take this bathroom up a notch. Now I'm getting excited and may just push the "buy" button. !!!!!

@Kelly Kay I also am looking forward to seeing if I am warm enough in the shower with the heated floor. I have not used it yet because the heated floor hasn't heated in there. Now that it's working, the ceiling fan suddenly isn't. Argh! Haha... So then there definitely would be humidity. The real test will be over the summer when we also have high humidity in the Mid-Atlantic. Hopefully my brain will remember to let you know.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Kelly Kay I did it! Based on your comments about the teak stool not fitting in, I bought the drawer pulls and the acrylic shower stool. I'll show pictures when they arrive. With that change, I am leaning towards these lights from my shopping list:

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

One item didn't post. This is more information about the pendants I am considering.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

The little Braava floor mopper that lives under the vanity it doing a good job so far. It's scared of the dark. Right now with the trades in the house I scheduled it to run at 9:00pm which is after we have retired. I have to leave the light on so it can see it's way around the room. I ordered more floor cleaner; the pads are washable. With the floor being heated, it is especially nice to touch and clean; I just don't really want to spend the time, especially after the novelty wears off. Little Braava gives me courage to put in more hard flooring... Wood upstairs, tile in entry to kitchen... But if I add area rugs, they have to be rolled up for Braava. I have to think on this. Roomba for daily cleaning plus roll up rugs and Braava for weekends? What does one do about area rugs under furniture though? Like the living room, family room, and bedrooms? Roomba only?

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Kelly Kay 

Big day! I used the shower first time! It splashed so I was glad for the floor mat. Water did not pool beyond the threshold, but it did splash out. I did not feel chilled, but I think I would have without the heated floor. That floor is just wonderful. It also seems to be facilitating the drying. I have to say it felt good to have a larger shower than I am used to, and I think that partly was due to no door and no shower curtain. It was very nice to shower completely surrounded by "OUR" tile. I wanted to wipe it down with a clean cloth when I was finished just to have an excuse to touch it.

• Lynn Lou
    last year

So exciting that you used the shower!! I sure wish we did heated floors if only to help with drying. I'm dealing with a shower floor that wasn't sloped properly :/

Ok...that Braava is a cute little bugger lol! I have a robot vaccum that is also supposed to be able to do floors. But we have several large area rugs, so I have no idea how it would deal with those. I'm sure there is some setting, but I haven't looked into much.

Your pendant looks super cool, but I'm not sure it will provide the best lighting at the vanity. All of our sconces have an opaque globe to diffuse the light so it's not glaring in your face when trying to do your makeup etc. Typically glass fixtures put off too much glare. But maybe these could work paired with your mirror light? Just make sure they can be easily returned.

I found these that could work? Not sure if they are your style. I couldn't get your wish list to show up?

Gold Opal Glass Modern Mini Pendant

Gold Mini Pendant Light

I liked the existing pulls on the vanity and the teak stool. I obviously don't about repeating colors so many times etc. (and if the design police showed up at my house I would for sure be arrested LOL!), but I think the teak stool would be fine by itself in the shower. People use teak stools/benches in showers that may or may not match anything else in the bathroom.

It must feel so great to get this project completed (almost!!).

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou I'm so glad you commented. I've been wondering how you have been doing with your upheaval. Yes, it does feel wonderful. Yesterday I brought home a vehicle we had parked at work. I had been switching out every 1 to 2 weeks. Today I hope to clean the utility closet that temporarily housed the old water heater. Then I'll put my cleaning equipment and supplies back in. It's been all over the family room. And I am looking forward to vacuuming my family room carpet!

I love my Roombas and my new Braava. I used to have cats; now I have robots. Not as good as Bear of course. ☺️

I totally agree with you that I need something frosted or with a shade. What you suggest is great. Does it come in nickle? I will keep looking and will look for those specifically. 

When I first sat down with the decorator on the project I asked if I could have Lucite or acrylic grab bars. They couldn't find any and gave me nickle. But I really like acrylic/Lucite. So I'm ok with finally getting a little in here. Actually kind of excited. But you reminded me that I should return the many doorstops I ordered that have bases too big to use, and the second trash can I ordered.

I was contemplating the hard floor with area rugs and robots too. I decided that I would use mostly Roombas. And once in awhile I would have to remove it all and run the Braava. In my entry and kitchen though, I can easily roll up the rugs and run Braava. Same with all bathrooms. And they are the rooms that need mopping the most. But do I want to take the carpet out of the living room, dining room, family room, and bedrooms? I think I do want engineered wood floors in the bedrooms. So do I forgo the area rugs and just have heated floor in there? I'm thinking yes. Or dear hubby just questioned why we need heated wood floors... Why do wood floors need heat. He pointed out that the downstairs floors on concrete slab need heating more than the upstairs.  Ok..... This is why we must plan ahead and confer with others. Thanks for conferring!

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou @Kelly Kay anyone else who wants to chime in...

I searched Lamps Plus for "frosted" pendants and wondered what you thought of these for putting on makeup and going with the room. https://www.lampsplus.com/products/soho-3-875-inch-wide-satin-nickel-led-modern-white-glass-mini-pendant__82h70.html

• Lynn Lou
    last year

Yes! I think those would work. I totally forgot you weren't doing gold LOL! Clearly I had gold on the brain when I suggested those others. I'm just obsessed with gold lately! We are waiting on the electrician. Hopefully he's done tomorrow or Tuesday and then we can start drywall. Our powder room ended up needing more work than we thought. We changed out old cast iron to PVC....but there were like three drains that went through the wall of the powder room. So we changed as much as we could. And I didn't consider the drain would be too low for my vanity (I was only worried about the left/right distance). So the plumber had to move the drain up higher. He told me it couldn't have been in a worse spot lol.

I loved that our house had no carpeted rooms. We refinished all of the floors before we moved in. I have never heard of heated hardwood, but I assume it can be done, I don't know why it couldn't. I wouldn't think that second floor flooring would need to be heated. Tile bathrooms, probably. But hardwoods, not sure. I guess depends on your climate. We are in the Midwest, so it doesn't get that cold here. Well we did have a weeks worth of single digit temps this winter. We have area rugs mostly because of our small dog. They give him areas to run around without getting hurt. And we have one under our bed that extends about 2' or so on either side of the bed for him to land on when he jumps off the bed. But I honestly think I'd have area rugs even if it wasn't for the dog. I just like that it breaks up the hardwood a bit. And another reason to bring in some color and texture.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou I liked what you showed though. I always figured I could find something similar in brushed nickel. Then I realized I was dealing with a 36" wide vanity with a 24" diameter mirror, leaving 6" on either side. I thought about a pair of chandelier-like pendants with maybe five little lights and a few of them being in front of the mirror, but I also had to consider the diameter of the thing they hang from, which I learned is called a canopy. I want you to know that having just gone through some of the process with you on your post helped me realize what I needed to look for. I am glad you approve. I think they should do an excellent job, even if I think they are a bit of an anticlimax. There's enough fancy stuff in this bathroom. And @Sharon Levandowski, I saw you "liked" my choice, so thanks to you too for your approval. It really does give me confidence.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou I think I understand you to say the drain was at the wrong elevation because vanities are higher now than they used to be, right? I guess that is something everyone is facing these days then if they are going to a higher vanity. I didn't have to deal with it for this bathroom because it never had a sink, but I will with two of the ones upstairs. I wonder how much of my current supply line has iron pipes.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou putting heating under solid wood floors is not recommended, but it's ok under engineered wood now. And there is a lower heat setting for engineered wood vs stone or porcelain. 

Having lived in the Midwest and now living in the Mid-Atlantic I can say our winters are milder than yours. So maybe I don't need heating under the wood floors upstairs, just in the bathrooms. If I put wood floors in downstairs over my concrete slab though, I definitely will want heating. Right now I have an area rug over wall to wall carpet, and the cold sucks the warmth right out of my legs, through my shoes, when I sit there, making my knees stiff and aching. I'm not sure what flooring I want downstairs, but dear hubby and I are leaning towards wood upstairs, mostly because of our allergies. The challenge is in choosing the flooring for the three bathrooms to blend with the wood flooring there. But that is for another post I haven't started yet. 😁

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

Yesterday the painter returned and painted the other side of the arch. The plumber came and installed the bidet, now that the replacement part arrived. I have to admit, the bidet is intimidating. I am not sure but I think it runs water when you first sit down. Is that supposed to be inspiration? Or camouflage? And the delay on running the rinse... Well it's important not to stand up and see what's going on. I'm not going to use it again until I've read the directions. And if you know me, you know that's saying something because I don't like reading directions. More later...

• Helen
    last year

Not sure what kind of a bidet you have. I have the Toto washlet with all the bells and whistles - heated air, lid that goes up and down; self cleaning etc.

It does NOT go on automatically except the lid will rise - the water that wets the bowl will go on and I believe the seat is heated so that is always on. I need to use the remote to operate the other functions.

Everything turns off if you rise - or even shift sufficiently so your weight is no longer placed correctly. This is obviously to prevent their being any mishaps when one's tush isn't covered the bowl :-)

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Helen yes, I don't know what's going on when I first sit, maybe the bowl washing. I did get the remote working today and tried adjusting some settings. I walked in on it like this at one point and had to get the directions again. This is a little humorous to me. Never had this level of fancy before.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Helen I looked up the toilet and seat:

Kohler San Souci™ Comfort Height™ toilet with San Souci®trip lever in brushed nickel finish and C3®-230 Elongated bidet toilet seat. We thought we'd get this one and see which of the features we like and which we aren't interested in. So far I like the heated seat and water. I don't think the fan does much.

• Kelly Kay
    last year

Regarding the heated wood flooring comment: It's' really not worth it. Wood, unlike tile, is not a good conductor of heat.. Just having wood floors will feel softer (more give) and warmer than tile or LVP precisely because it doesn't conduct hot/cold as well.

I don't think heating is even possibly over real wood flooring as it would dry it out and cause the wood to crack.

@kl23 The biggest issue I see with the lights is they are just crammed into a space. What you really need is a smaller mirror to go with those lights. Design wise, I think they work if you had a little more space on the wall as long as the color temperature is one you want. Lights can vary from 2700K to 5000K and you'll want close to 3500 most likely or everything will either be too yellow or too blue (which you don't want while doing makeup). If there was any room on the vanity, I'd suggest a lamp which puts off great ambient lighting.

• Lynn Lou
    last year

I'm no help with the bidet issue! But I have to say yours is super cute all lit up like that lol!

@Kelly Kay makes a good point about the lights looking crammed into the space. I have a feeling I will have similar issue in our powder room now that the lights are roughed-in. I think the pendants work better than sconces and look less crammed. Try the balloon trick and hang them there and see what you think. I really like the mirror size for your space since guests will be using it to do hair and makeup. I love my mirror too (even if it is stupid big!) so if I hate the lights I plan on removing them and terminating the boxes and patching the drywall lol!

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Kelly Kay and @Lynn Lou a couple of weeks ago I took a leap and started the process of going from brunette to water is under all the hair dye. I am amazed at how much less makeup I need. Nevertheless, I do want a good mirror and side lighting. Unfortunately we have to wait until 27 April.

Meanwhile, I got an acrylic stool @Kelly Kay! I tried it with the bath mat, but think I'll leave it under the shower. What do you think?

• Lynn Lou
    last year

Definitely need good lighting at the mirror for finding those wonky eyebrow hairs. Good for you taking that leap. I'm going to keep rocking my purple lowlights as long as I can lol!

Is the stool in the way if you want to shower and not use it when it's placed under the shower? It can easily be moved from either spot so maybe under the shower is best so you don't see it when you walk in the bath. Not that you can really see it though....I had to zoom into the picture to see it.

• Kelly Kay
    last year

@kl23 Which design aesthetic do you like for the seat? Which is more comfortable? I'm guessing the teak is. I actually think the warmth brought by the teak with these cooler temperature colors makes sense to warm up the space, and with the stone and blue in the tiles, it gives it a beachy, spa type vibe. However, I am also partial to teak if you notice in my bathroom photos (because, hello, spa vibe). I have two teak bathroom mats, and a teak laundry hamper. I also mix it with a bamboo bath tray (you can just barely see it) and I also have a bamboo plant stand in the window sill next to the tub (so I repeated the colors). My soap dispensers, toothbrush holder, vanity tray, towel hooks/hangers, candle holders, and mirror frames are all matte black. So are the towels, but I can also switch them out to be a fun tropical color because everything else is neutral (I just happened to already have black towels).

My plumbing fixtures are brushed nickel and so are the drawer pulls, vanity lights, and heated towel rack. I tried to repeat the colors used in at least two different items so then it belongs because it looks intentional. If they had all be the same, it would have been too much and matchy matchy. I don't know, what do you think with how it looks? My planned pop of color will be art that I'm working on, such as a waterfall painting on the wall in front of the bathtub, to the right of the towel rack. I plan do another long skinny one over the top of the double doors you see on the left that is also water themed because water makes me happy. :) Then I have plants to add to the spa vibe and add some greens.

There you see one of the bathmats and the laundry hamper in teak.

This shows my plants a while ago and the other teak bathmat.

(Side note: This last photo shows my plant inventory exploding added with my cats nibbling on them, so ones from other areas of the house ended up by the bathtub. I had to get that bamboo plant stand which goes well with the bath tray. I have since had the palm not like a period of time when we lost power for 2 days and something has slowly killed it. :( I still have the other plants bu it is less crowded without the palm.)

@kl23 The issue I have with your teak seat is it is the ONLY thing that color and very warm in color temperature so it sticks out and doesn't look like it belongs. You need to repeat the color 2-3 times (in at least 2 different sizes) and that will make it "fit" into the space. Because NOTHING is that color, it just looks like you grabbed the seat at a yard sale. Get something else that color, and boom, it was a design choice and looks like it belongs. For example, not sure what size your little corner shelves are if this would be a good size, but something like THIS and put it in two of the shelving areas.

And something like this (check sizing and dimensions) for your washcloths (in the shower) or to put your soaps next to the sink (or both, as I like the idea of repeating this color at least once by the vanity.

Then, you've made the choice to use this color (versus it in a single item), repeated it in the various areas, and it should tie nicely to the browns in the tile and help warm up the space a bit.

That's just my 2 cents and what I would do so you can enjoy the teak seat (it has to be more comfortable and warmer than the acrylic).

The acrylic doesn't look bad, but it's clear, so it's hard to see at all. Again, I love teak, it just doesn't work if it is the only teak in the room.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou and @Kelly Kay

I am learning to use the computer on Houzz these days and love that I can edit/correct old posts (misspellings especially). My phone often fills in the blanks with the wrong words. @Lynn Lou I have had the occasional stray wonker in the eyebrow, but mostly the eyebrows and eyelashes are thinning. There just isn't enough left to create the contrast needed for my younger brunette color. It's teaching me a little about "art" and, by extension, interior decorating. I am now content with a grey eyebrow pencil to suggest the shadow of a shape, and eyeliner on just the lower lid, but only sometimes, like when I have a meeting that day, and some concealer to hide the circles the antihistamine misses. So in a pastel room creating contrast gives one effect while reducing contrast gives another. I haven't thought it all out though. I do know there may have to be a wardrobe reduction. Right now my green tops and jackets make my "strawberry blonde" hair look green and I am avoiding them. But when I eventually get to the "white" that caused me to do this (skunk effect after just 10 days!), maybe the green will be ok again. If not, I can't even gift them to my daughter, because she took the plunge before me! With this lighter hair color, bangs don't look so heavy, and they allow me to hide those 20-year-old forehead wrinkles that are getting more pronounced as well as distracting from the thinning eyebrows and covering up the little male-pattern bald spots developing above my temples. As an older friend often says, "Getting old isn't for wimps!"

OK, back to decorating...

@Kelly Kay I love your photo of your bathtup with teak accessories and the jungle of plants... very inviting! When you first suggested I either find matches for the teak stool or switch it out, I searched for matches but didn't find anything that would have a function for this particular room. That's when I opted for the clear acrylic. Actually, Amazon wooed me in that direction. You know how they flash up things you weren't even looking for when you are trying to focus on just one thing, and they don't have it? And that reminded me that when I was first negotiating with the decorator on this project, we had talked about having acrylic grab bars. I thought they would better show off our favorite tile. The contractor told me they couldn't find any, and at that point I was leery about getting my own items. So, I resigned to not having acrylic in there. And I agree with you that repetition makes a thing look on-purpose. So, I also am switching out the pulls on the drawers for acrylic and brushed nickel. Sorry @Lynn Lou I know you like gold accessories... maybe one of the upstairs bathrooms. I do have brass on all my doors and windows :-) OK, the phone makes actual smiley faces.

I find I am leaning a little bit towards glam in my decorating, though not totally. What I like is the emphasis on touchable textures and on reflective surfaces like mirrors, glass and acrylic tabletops, shelves, pulls, and little seats. I like trims on things too, like tassels, beading and fringe. I also like that one version of glam has dark walls with lighter brighter seating for a focal point. And with today's new options for lighting, I cannot wait to buy lights like one of my friends buys shoes. So expensive but so worth it.

That's the one disappointing thing about the lights I chose for the vanity. In order to center them in the 6" space I had on either side, I had to choose a canopy that was less than 6", and the actual light is just under 4". I am hoping that makes the lights thin enough that they don't look crowded, which you both validly have expressed concern about. Fingers crossed for me? With a 16" length they should fully illuminate the sides of my face. Ideally, they will erase all dark circles and wrinkles! Hahaha...

@Lynn Lou you asked about the shower seat placement getting in the way when I shower. I tried it and it does not get in the way when I stand up, and I do not bump into it. Even the teak one which was a bit bigger did not get in the way. And I am more likely to sit on it that I was when it was centered so you could see it from the doorway. I kind of like that this bathroom looks more like a mysterious hallway than a bathroom. The tipoff is the grab bar and bathmat, but either stool is OK too. I thought it might be uncomfortable to sit on but it wasn't. However, I likely would lay a washcloth on it if I thought it would be.

I'm down to finishing touches after the vanity lights. I decided the one feature on the bidet stool that is pretty much useless is the "fanny fan" though maybe it works for guys. So I bought a small basket for the back of the bidet to hold bidet towels and a small hamper that fits in the corner on the floor for used ones (attached)

. I can't wait to wash the whites so I can fully stock the basket. I thought of putting fake plants in there; a palm on the floor and some trailing thing on the niche but decided not to. I also thought of having some battery-operated candles in the niche or the pie shelves or both but realized with the dimmer on low those ceiling lights give such a strong moonlight effect I much prefer that magic. There's one more picture I would love to have in this room, perhaps in the toilet area, but I am afraid it will look too crowded with those fancy shelves. I took this picture in winter at same beach where my husband took the purple sunset photo. If I can't put it in this room, I'll have to find a place in the family room.

• Lynn Lou
    last year

@kl23 Sign me up for the light that gets rid of wrinkles when you find it!!

I like the acrylic stool. It's something unexpected and goes with the glam look you are going for. So long as it is comfortable enough and you don't slide off of it. While I love the look of teak in a bathroom, everyone has teak (well except for you and I lol!).

What about the wall opposite the toilet? Can the photo go there? Great photo too! I'm the person who feeds seagulls at the beach and then sees the sign that says do not feed the birds lol!

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou only an experience seagull feeder would know? This older couple was feeding them in the beach. Hubby and I just took the photos. It was February and very windy! 

So the wall opposite the toilet is full of towel racks and towels. By the way, the bottom one is a grab bar. :-)

I took photos of all the open walls in the bathroom (not tiled). And it made me realize that the one where you just walk into the room, above the light switches, may be the best and maybe even the only one left. The photo isn't printed yet, so I can make it whatever width I want and matt and frame it however I want. I was thinking of treating it the same as the purple sunset photo in the same room. I think that will work, but I can try different matting. It seems to make sense to face the same frame. The black may pick up gull details; so might a white matt.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou @Kelly Kay the acrylic drawer pulls came yesterday. I just put them on this morning. So now I have two acrylic things! All I need now is the lights by the vanity(arrived but not installed) and for the power company to hook up our second panel so we can use the bathroom lights and the washing machine at the same time or wash two loads of laundry a day.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

Something of a conundrum I bet everyone deals with. Everyday items can look rather trashy and cluttered. And all the most artistic choices are overwhelmed instantly by the bright advertising on the everyday items. I can remove the hand soap label and see frosted plastic, but that can of Lysol and the bottle of spray cleaner! I suppose I could put them both in the closet in the hall with the bright yellow Clorox wipes. The toilet has a UV light on when not in use, so I guess the Lysol isn't needed.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

OK, what do you think? Peaceful or boring? I do have some decorative items I could put on the shelves. I could get a flat box of Kleenex and put it in the drawer. The drawers have nothing but instructions for the items in the bathroom. Oh! That reminds me. I have a great spot for the remote control for the bidet!

• Lynn Lou
    last year

Oh above the light switches would be a great spot for the seagulls!

I like the last pic without the cleaning products displayed. I keep ours in our vanity cabinet. My cousin has a small little basket on the floor next to the toilet and keeps them in there so they are kind of out of sight but right there if needed.

I ended up getting glass dispensers for our shower for soap, shampoo, conditioner and hubby's shampoo. Wishing now that I didn't get glass because hubby makes a mess with the soap and causes the bottom of the niche to become slippery (I don't seem to have this issue?). In the middle of the night a few weeks ago I heard a loud crash sound and could not figure out what it was (assumed it was Bare but he was sleeping next to me). The soap dispenser slid off the niche and onto the floor. Luckily it didn't break! So I moved that one down to the bench.

The acrylic pulls look great! And I had wondered what that storage was next to the toilet. Perfect spot for the remote for the bidet.

What is the ETA for the power company to hook up the power? Hopefully not too much longer.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year

@Lynn Lou Thanks for the feedback! 27 April is when the power company comes and the contractor also will install the vanity lights. And they will take away the yard sign and comes. Then it will really be finished. Yay!!! I want to start the next project. 😁

• kl23
    Original Author
    last year
  • Lynn Lou
    last year

Came here to see if you changed lights. And then I see you’ve started another project?! Not sure how I missed this. I will have to take a look once I’m on my computer. Even with glasses I struggle to see we’ll on my phone. Which is so annoying. I didn’t need glasses for the first 45 years of my life and now 3 years later I struggle with my glasses :/

• kl23
    Original Author
    12 months ago

@Lynn Lou thanks for checking. No, I didn't change lights. Sorry I caused confusion. Busy day tomorrow. The pendants go in, the power company hooks up our second panel so we can launder with hot water again without tripping breakers, and the plumber will install a silent check valve to prevent the air hammer that has been plaguing us.

I hear you about the eyesight. I remember the first time I couldn't squint my eyes to see my earrings up close…around 45. It actually hurt! Aging is so unkind. 😢 But older friends are getting cataract surgery and act like kids with their new super-vision. Aging is one of those things best shared and laughed at together. 

I recently couldn't keep up with how fast my dyed hair was growing in. I thought I was giving up and going grey. I went to someone to bleach it out so there would be less contrast. She highlighted it and made me strawberry blonde. Suddenly I'm getting all these compliments about looking younger. It's just so ironic. I like Alanis Morrisett's "Thank You": 

The moment I let go of it was the moment

I got more than I could handle

The moment I jumped off of it

Was the moment I touched down

• Lynn Lou
    12 months ago

Oh yes, busy day for sure! Be sure to update with pics!

I agree....aging must be shared at laughed at. Funny how it sneaks up on you. Scrolling through the years to find my birth year when filing something out online takes much longer than it used to :/

Strawberry blonde sounds fun! As do the compliments :)

• kl23
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Oh you are so right @Lynn Lou! Sometimes I start to think, why don't they have my year?

• Lynn Lou
    12 months ago

So....do you love the pendants??

• kl23
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Ok, so, here's pictures....

• Lynn Lou
    12 months ago

They look great! What do you think? Do they put off enough light? I bet you’re thrilled to be able to do laundry again without any issues!

• kl23
    Original Author
    12 months ago

@Lynn Lou thanks! They do give off enough light. Makeup application is much enhanced.  They cast more light on the counter too, which will help me keep it clean. And yes, we are getting back our capacity to wash multiple loads in hot water just in time.

This project has been a great learning experience. I thought a back-lit mirror would be enough light, but it isn't. It's just mood lighting. Or maybe I just bought the wrong one. Maybe the technology will improve. I deliberately steamed up the room to see how the heated mirror part worked. It makes a little rectangle, not impressive. Otherwise the vent fan keeps the steam off the mirror, so that's reassuring.

I should have planned to fix up the surrounding areas with this project: the hallway just outside and all doors. Doing it on the fly made me pass on heating that floor, and I find myself walking faster to get through the hallway and into the warm floor.

Heated flooring is truly wonderful. I know I will want it under all tile. I'm thinking of putting it under the wood flooring too and therefore getting engineered wood flooring that can tolerate heating underneath. Regretting not putting it in feels worse than regretting the extra cost of putting it in and possibly not using it. I wonder though if I would regret not having solid wood flooring and if there is a way to tell if I would know the difference. 

I love the fun of having the fancy toilet with all the bells and whistles. Hubby calls it "the entertainment center". I think the nightlight is the part he find most amusing. I think the fan is the most useless. This was a trial. I think we will get them in all the bathrooms.

And I do not regret having two fancy tiles in one room. However, I think there are definitely two minds on this question. If I were a professional at this, I would respect that some people do not like two tiles, even if the walls are very plain. I probably would ere on the side of caution @Kelly Kay and @Jan Moyer.

I do not regret having dark wall paint. I can tell it decreases light at the vanity. It shows bad if someone nicks it, but a navy magic marker is my friend in there. I think with the work being done, that part is over. There have only been two nicks and both came from work, not usage.

Going back to decisions made early on, I don't regret leaving the bench out of the shower. Having a stool there is plenty and is more flexible. I love all the grab bars/towel racks!

I don't regret making the ceilings all one height and lower than 8'. The hallway appearance of the room makes the ceilings feel higher. That made me get wafer lights instead of pretty ones. I don't regret losing the pretty lights. The excitement of the two tiles and dark walls is enough.

Everyone says they love the arches. The only comments about the moulding come from concerns they are made of wood and will rot, but are reassured to learn they were made of countertop edges. Nobody said anything about the crown moulding, and I assume it's because they didn't look weird.

I am glad I turned the entrance to the water heater into the hallway instead of inside the bathroom. And I am glad we got on-line water heat in addition to a small back-up conventional heater.

And I am glad I stuck to the original idea of compartmentalizing each space, the vanity, the toilet area, and the shower. It does not make me feel the room is small. If anything, it makes the room seem long and tall to have narrowed it. It feels like a hallway with interesting stops and views along the way. I wish I could figure out how to make the kitchen feel not like a kitchen, just as this bathroom feels not like a bathroom, but rather like a very efficient self-care space.

And I love the shower compartment with no threshold and no door. Having to lay an absorbent mat outside it to catch the shower mist is acceptable to me. It's a very minor inconvenience for such a great shower experience. I just hang it on the grab bar in the shower to let it dry. When I use the shower, I feel like I am in a private corner of a much larger room. It does not feel confining, and it does not feel exposed. 

I have to say that some of the comments early on were very discouraging. The idea of making this a giant shower room so I could be wheeled in was so depressing I thought of dropping this project and all future ones, giving up on the house completely and letting it rot. And some of the comments about how expensive it would be made me wonder if it would be worth it. This project was so very much worth what it cost, and I am so glad I stuck to the original concept. 

What I learned is that, while my tastes and vision are not standard, I am not completely at the extreme, because several people love the space and would like one like it. I learned that this forum is very helpful for testing a concept. My experience is that I can get ideas that end up making a big improvement. But I can be more confident in future in judging for myself if each suggestion actually is an improvement or just someone's vision of what they would do if stuck with the same space. I can embrace that we are all different and be grateful for each and every idea.

• Lynn Lou
    12 months ago

Glad the lights are working out. They look great! I really wish we would have put an outlet in our toilet room so we could have an "entertainment center" lol! When we were roughing in, we both said, oh we don't need an outlet in here. Now I'm kicking myself :/

If you walk in your bathroom and it makes you happy, then that is all that matters. I imagine most guests who come in will be in aww over this bathroom.

• kl23
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Lynn Lou thanks!!! My husband joked about charging a quarter to use it. It's an old joke that goes back to an old friend with us only in spirit. Friends are such treasures!

• kl23
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Living awhile with this room I have learned something important enough to share. Making this room "narrow" by installing the divider walls made the space feel longer and also taller, in spite of having to bring down the ceilings below 8' to accommodate the vents. It really is all about proportion!

The divider walls also allow the shower with no door and the toilet compartment to feel private and safe as I hoped. In spite of other people's perfectly understandable preferences, the compartmentalization of this room works even better than I imagined.