SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjkelly66

Basement renovation - family room (paint and floor)

Joanna
2 years ago

In the middle of "finishing" my basement - adding drywall ceiling and flooring. Had thought to leave paneling and simply add luxury vinyl (wood like) plank flooring - no big deal. But then someone said - oh, too much wood - wood flooring, wood panel walls - maybe do stone lookalike LVP? And I tend to agree – I’m not in a cabin. So now everything is up in the air.

So now I am thinking of painting the walls. They're not in great shape anyway, a couple are already painted, gives me more options for flooring (and walls).

I need to decide on paint on flooring. I'm looking at (3) LVP - wood lookalikes - leaning towards NuCore, Coffee Oak Rigid LVP from floor and décor. Or maybe DuraLux Performance Auburn Acacia Rigid LVP or NuCore Gunstock Rigid (love the gunstock color, but it’s awfully red – looks like the paneling). Thoughts on any of those?

What about paint colors? I want a cozy, comfortable room. This room is where family/kids would hang out over the holidays or if I had a group of friends over to watch a movie – that kind of thing. It likely won’t be used that much other than that. It’s just me in the house most of the time.

Do I go with a nice neutral, e.g., agreeable gray, accessible beige, repose gray (I like green undertones)? Or do I go bold with some darker color? What about an accent wall?

And just to say, I’ll be dealing with the stone fireplace at some point. I can’t stand that stone façade. I think it’s just covering the brick – which is what I’d like more than that façade – but little scared to just pop it off the wall.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

Comments (4)