SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Advice on what to do with my Japanese Larch seedlings

I have about 11 Larix Kaempferi seedlings, germinated this March, and one has grown to 1 ft 4 in tall already. Do you think it is ready to plant next Spring? Or do I need to wait until it is much bigger?

Another question, should I plant them close to each other in groups or would I be better off planting just one and enjoying it as a specimen? I have a 60x50 ft area for it.

Last question.. about overwintering. I probably know the answer to this as it is common horticultural sense but just want to ask in case. Since larches are deciduous I can keep them in my shed in the dark with minimal sunlight right? With my evergreen potted conifers I put them in my dad's garage which is south facing and gets much more light in there but thinking larches won't need any light for winter, am I right?

Actually one last question which is about a different tree. I also have some chamaecyparis obtusa seedlings and one is 10 in tall, germinated 2020 May. Would that be ready to plant next Spring? You can see it in the back of the pic.

Comments (6)