SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disco_lemonade

Do I Have Red Or White Oak (I know, I know)

disco_lemonade
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I’ve read through all the other 500 threads about this same subject and have examined my floors to an unhealthy degree yet I still cannot figure out if they’re red or white oak. Professionals have given me different answers and I know I might not know 100% until they’re refinished in two weeks BUT I love to research and be somewhat prepared so I’m not holding up the flooring contractor when he's done sanding.

I have a 1926 Craftsman - I believe the living room/dining room are original. They’re long plank and squeaky and meet in a cool way between rooms. My kitchen originally had fir floors and then a layer of linoleum and then at some point oak was put in to match the rest of the floors which resulted in a dorky looking “step up”. My flooring guy is going to make a custom gradual transition there in oak instead of the former tripping hazard that was there. My upstairs are a mess.. we ripped the carpet out to reveal more oak. The planks in the middle of the hallway are long.. the planks on the right side toward the wall are much shorter. One room had cherry stained oak with white overspray everywhere. (I say had because I temp painted it until it could be refinished). The other room has a Swedish finish. The hallway most likely has an old oil finish as those are very amber-looking. And my steps are fir, of course.

Sorry - that’s all probably not necessary info but I like hardwoods and old homes. So, back to my question..

Do I have red or white oak floors?

Comments (13)