SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

it's been a long time since davidrt28 posted a _____________

davidrt28 (zone 7)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Public garden review! 5 years,it seems.

I've heard about London Town just south of Annapolis for at least a decade if not two. This was one of the test sites for Ackerman's hardy camellia hybrids. Finally had a chance to get down there last weekend.

This was a public house and inn at a river crossing in colonial times. The original building has been thoughtfully restored. Here is the kitchen.

Overview of the main border, next to a pavilion used to hold weddings.

Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow', probably, and an overlook of the South River that separates Annapolis and Edgewater. In the distance, a pile with a zestimate of 5 million clams.

They have a number of interesting hollies. The was labeled Ilex perado, but the leaves are not as big as the plant so labeled at Rutgers, so I'm inclined to agree with Embo's skepticism and suspect that this might just be Highclere holly 'Wilsonii'. Still, it's nice to see something like this at all...they are so unnecessarily rare in municipal plantings.

An interesting hybrid of 'Nellie R Stevens' X latifolia. Dave, I can't remember, did any of this grex get named?

Actually is that what 'Venus' is, and I'm just forgetting? It looks a bit like my 'Venus', but not quite.

A Ledvina Magnolia cultivar, 'Rose Marie' is planted in far too much shade.

The Camellia collection was worth seeing and interesting for its historical role in North American horticulture, but not as well displayed as they could be in my opinion. I think they are in too much shade...but I understand it's hard for a new garden director to come in, in a situation like this, guns blazing and cut down half the trees. Particularly in a area that is definitely prone to heavy thunderstorms and hurricanes. You could cut down half the trees and then lose some in a storm. Still some clearing the canopy would help these look better. My Ackerman-ish camellias are in 75% sun and are much fuller and more floriferous, it seems. I didn't get a picture of the collection, in whole, because it's just not very photogenic. Here is 'Snow Flurry'.

Some of their camellia leaves have a curious iridescence I last saw at Camellia Forest. Dave Parks, owner, told me it was because of iron in the well water they used to water. Maybe the same situation here.

I was disappointed to see these hideous leylandiis given any space.

That weeping spruce is struggling with too much shade, as well.

pt 1...

Comments (10)