SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Good News plus random letters since "Good News" is too short. : )

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

As some of you may recall, my otherwise healthy, college-age son has a seizure in class in early September.

Just today DS had his follow-up with the neurologist, and was given a clean bill of health. He had many tests, multiple MRIs and two EEGs, including one overnight. He has not had any symptoms since the event.

As I've mentioned before, the facts are these:

1. We all have a 10% chance of having a seizure over our lifetimes

2. 34% of adult-onset seizures are never explained and never recur

The standard protocol in our state is no driving for 3 months after a seizure, but other than that, no restrictions, no meds, no nothing. His Dr. said that, based on the test findings and the lack of any recurrence at this point, DS is no more likely to have a seizure now than anyone else.

Thank you again for all of your well wishes and support and shared experiences. When I got that call from him in the ER, followed by the call with the professor in whose class the seizure occurred, I would never have believed that this totally unqualified good news was possible. After telling me in disturbing and vivid detail what happened in class, the Professor apologized but told me "as a parent, I'd want to know." It sounded awful. I "knew" it had to be serious; things like this don't just happen.

Apparently though, indeed they do.

It was so very helpful to have had my "gardenweb" invisible(ish) friends. I had all of your stories in my head. Nothing the Dr. asked or said was a surprise. I'd think to myself "ohh yes, Local (or was it Daisy or ?) said overnight EEG is better or "well, Maire Cate's son is fine" or "Tina said it never happened to her DH again. " I may have the names wrong, but you get the idea. I had a team with me. It was so helpful to me. Thank you.

Comments (59)