SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_simoes

Does anyone have experience with a home freeze dryer by Harvest Right?

Barbara Simoes
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have gone down the rabbit hole of Permaculture and starting my own "food forest" which has been enormously rewarding and has allowed me to learn so much about gardening and ecology. Once I learned of this concept, I immediately spent all last winter reading and watching videos and planning what I would include and where I would get the plants I wanted.

In the spring, I rented a sod remover and went to town. (Actually, a lovely neighbor ran the machine, while I spent the day hunched over, rolling up the grass!) Plants were due to arrive. Now it is fall, and the plants are all looking good, but looking ahead, I'm realizing that I will have bushels and bushels of food. I am scared to can for fear of botulism and I already have two freezers full.

I learned from one of the blogs I subscribe to, Practical Self Reliance, about freeze-drying and that there is a home unit put out by Harvest Right. People who have them rave about them on line. Of course, there are many Facebook pages dedicated to the topic, many of which I've subscribed to, in order to learn more. The units are very expensive, (two to four thousand dollars), so before I drop that kind of money, I thought I'd ask this wonderful community about any experiences they've had with these devices.

I am a 61 year old woman who is NOT clever with fixing things, and it sounds like many people do have to tinker with them. (I am considering the medium sized unit with the no oil pump.) I would love to hear all about your experiences: the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert