SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Best Purple Daylilies of 2021

shive
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

If you're passionate about purple daylilies, this thread is for you. Please post your photos of your best purples here. Friday will be red daylilies.

My best performing purple daylilies this season were Reckless Girls and All of My Love to You. Both of these have multiplied rapidly and had high bud counts this year. Neither reblooms for me.

All of My Love to You is a sunfast burgundy purple that blooms for a long time here in the late season.

Reckless Girls had bud counts in the mid-20s. It's always a bit shorter than registered here.

Purple Passion's Promise is a good grower. Some years it has instant rebloom, but not this year.

Black Panther did a bit of reblooming this year.

Bluegrass Shadows was one of my prettiest purples this season.

Midnight Castle never has many buds (8-11), but I do love the bloom.

Buddy's Victoria Jade always makes a pretty clump. It was in too much shade to rebloom this year.

This purple seedling (Buddy's Victoria Jade x Skin of My Teeth) was one of my better performing purples. It had 26-inch scapes with 15-17 buds. So far, it has not rebloomed.

Spirited Away had its best year ever, with scapes the registered height and bud counts in the high teens.

Mister Mayor bloomed for a long time in its second season here.

Debra

Comments (37)

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

Those are some fabulous clumps of All My Love to You and Reckless Girls!!! Gorgeous edged purples too and great color. I have to get mine together-I have way too many purples so I need to get selective on ones I post!!!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

I’m with Kate about those clump shots, too gorgeous for words! I really like the form on Spirited Away.

Here are some of my purples.

Bela Lugosi did exceptionally well this past season, it had the best bud count.

Getting Airborne is my tallest daylily after Autumn Minaret. It is close to registered height in my grden, a rare happening.

Indian Giver loves it here and has rebloomed for my once.

Luscious Kiss had second full season here and was a bonus. The color is hard to capture and my photos dont do it justice.

Mary’s Baby is a keeper because of its sunfast blooms. This was added because of Maryl’s praise of it, so glad I have this one.

Still the One is finally doing well here, had to move it to a better spot.

Through Dark Waters surprised me this season, the blooms were over 7”. It was abonus and showed a few teeth this season.

I think I need more purples!

Sherry

• Related Discussions

Suggestions on best purple and best yellow daylilies

Q

Comments (17)
    I put in a large DL bed in one go a number of years ago. I looked for a good mix of Early, mid and late season bloomers. You are warm enough to even look for repeat bloomers. Purples and Pinks are a little difficult to photograph to their true color so look in more then one site to compare the color of a favorite to see if it looks like the color you want "most times" I also looked on "Tinkers" data base as those photos come from gardeners not sellers. Many purples will look plum or reddish purple. If you want a blue purple look for the word blue in the written description of the variety. If you get a chance to go to a local DL farm in person, do research ahead of your trip. See if you can get the farms list ahead of time and look up the ones you are interested in on Tinkers. http://www.daylilydb.com/ When you visit a DL farm the color you see that day may not be exactly what you get in your garden. The time of day, the temperature, the conditions on the farm effect the color. I live near a DL farm " Cottage Gardens Daylilies" in Medina NY. I bought a number of DLs on a cool day after an early morning rain. They looked true purple to me that day. When grown in my garden they were Maroon, burgundy, wine colors , not the blue purple I saw that day. This is not to make things more complicated for you, just my experience shared. That is one of the good things about doing a big bed, there is room for all shades of color. Good luck and have fun!
    ...See More

Best Pink Daylilies of 2021

Q

Comments (43)
    Mantis, some of the pinks I showed are new for me this year and I can't comment much on performance.....but I will try to take the time to give my evaluations from now on since I agree with you that it's helpful. I was rushing to get the photos up. As for Pinewood Strawberry Moon, I wanted to get it and found it after much searching. Strangely, it went completely dormant and underground in September so I hope I didn't lose it. I did get it's pollen and have several crosses with it to start over the winter and sell. For a new plant, it bloomed very well and seemed vigorous so I don't know what happened. As for Boss Hogg, it is fairly new and taking it's sweet time doing much, just like RFK. Both started as single fans and RFK is still a single fan going into it's 3rd year. I've moved it twice hoping that would help. I'm frustrated by it's lack of vigor and increase. Boss Hogg bloomed ok but all the foliage you see in the photo is actually from plants around it. It isn't much of a plant yet.
    ...See More

Best Patterned Daylilies of 2021

Q

Comments (13)
    David - The Ultimate Illusion has a very unique pattern. Thanks for posting it. Nan - Your Curious Cutie seedlings are beautiful! I have a lot more patterned daylilies. I'll show a few more, and some of my patterned seedlings. Rainbow Maker is a strong grower and a good rebloomer. Facemaker didn't do much this year, but I it didn't get in the ground until late October. I hope it will have more buds next year when it's more settled. Bragging Rights has a very large bloom, but the scapes were short and it didn't have many buds. I hope it will do better when I get it out of a pot and in to the ground. This is my favorite seedling from the cross of Aztec Headdress x Banded Broadbill. It has a 7-inch bloom and rebloomed this time. Another patterned seedling I like is Dragonfly Dawn x Bowtie Affair. This was its first year to bloom, and it had bud counts in the mid teens and rebloomed. This one is (Redefined Design x Blue Eyed Bandit) x (Palace Garden Beauty x Karelia) - First-time bloomer that also rebloomed. Texas Blue Eyes x Violet Tranquility - This one is a four-year-old with bud counts in the 20s, but it's a slow multiplier. Cowgirl Spurs X Stinger (Palace Garden Beauty x Karelia) x This Longing #1 Two others from the cross of (PGB x Karelia) X This Longing: Debra
    ...See More

Best Eyed and Edged Daylilies of 2021

Q

Comments (20)
    I am coming late to this party. I am having trouble with my laptop. It keeps shutting down. It only happens when I'm on the internet. Bob intended to take it into the shop after lunch today, but he forgot. Hopefully I can post a few before it shuts down again. Eyed and edged daylilies are a favorite here. Some of these have partial edges. I wasn't sure where to put them so I put them here. This is Bucklebury Ferry, one of our intros. It just has a partial edge. I was hoping for a bigger edge like its parent Sam Abell, but it wasn't to be. Cherry Pie a la Mode also has a partial edge. The white and purple flower in the background is the pollen parent of Cherry Pie. It is Empire of Dawn and Dusk. Eggplant Luminosity definately has an edge. Happy Place is one we haven't had too long. I hope to use it in breeding red and yellow daylilies. Merry Moppet has one serious flaw. It often doesn't open well. It has been used a lot in our breeding of small tets. I'll put the rest in the next comment.
    ...See More
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    2 years ago

Thank you Kate for showing Mary's Baby. It always makes me smile and your shot of it is marvelous. I lost mine over winter during the arctic blast and had a devil of a time finding a replacement from a rust free source. I managed to get a smallish start of it, so maybe in a couple of years (God willing) it will grow back to its former glory.............Debra: all of your purples are wonderful, but your picture of Midnight Castle is especially beautiful...........I don't do "purple" in my climate. Most purples are maroon or shades thereof. The one that I'll show now looks plain after all the ruffley ones, but the color can be so glowing and deep that I'm sold on it. It's about as close to purple as I get in my climate:

PAUL VOTH;

Maryl

• daylilybedmaker
    2 years ago

Here are some of my purples:

MIDNIGHT RAIDER: A model of consistency

LAURA HARWOOD: Did really well this year. Bloomed for a long time.

DESIRE OF NATIONS: Slow to increase. Its neighbors are thriving and growing like weeds. I may need to move it, but it is in my hybridizing area so it gets a little shade to help with setting pods.

Planet Max: Has a connection to Bud Bennett as Margo Reed rescued a seedling from Bud's garden that was going to be composted because it was too spidery. That seedling is one of PM's parents. This was well budded this year and had 5 way branching.

Continued

• daylilybedmaker
    2 years ago

BREAKING THE CHAINS: I don't own this one, but it is on my list.

FREAKY PEOPLE: Relatively new to my garden.

Black Falcon Ritual: Great plant. Relatively sunfast.

MICHAEL BENNETT: I love the color of this one. Consistent performer.

A PURPLE SEEDLING that is under evaluation. It will be moved from the seedling bed and divided with a piece being sent to another state for evaluation.

A few more to go

David

• daylilybedmaker
    2 years ago

RAVEN LORE: This was the second year in the garden for this one. It is sunfast.

Tuscawilla Blackout: A great black rose purple.

Jamaican Midnight: it is in the black red purple family.

JAZZ ME BLUES: A Bennett intro that he says is a deep pink and I think it is a light purple. Anyway, here it is throwing a pattern. The only time I have seen it do this. All the blooms that day threw this pattern.

That is all for me.

David

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

David - You have so many nice dark purples! Freaky People caught my eye, and your purple seedling has beautiful colors and a form I like.

Sherry - Indian Giver is so magnificent for you. It's hard to believe how badly it performed here before it died. Your photos of Mary's Baby and Getting Airborne are wonderful too!

Maryl - Glad to see you found a source for Mary's Baby. I saw where Laura had it for sale this fall. The foliage on mine looks like it got hit by grubs again. Paul Voth does look to have a rich color.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some of my other purples. Most of them were very average performers this season:

Back Scratcher is recovering from years of being attacked by grubs.

Crintonic Rain Dances had a couple of scapes with buds in the high teens, but the scapes in general were very short (a sign in my garden of grub feasting.)

Dream of You has clumped up fast. Scapes were taller than registered. It rebloomed last year but did not this season.

Faith That Moves Mountains had its best year yet, with bud counts from 17-21 and scapes taller than registered. It rebloomed the first year I had it, but has not rebloomed in the two subsequent years. I think it may be in too much shade later in the season.

Rebloom on Forty Days and Forty Nights. Initial scapes were nearly registered height but with low bud counts (10-14). The rebloom scapes were very short.

I Remember You always has pretty blooms. It was attacked by grubs for years and has been growing it pot for two years. I hope to get it planted later today.

Jeanne Deaver's Dream. I wonder how this one would do if I didn't have so many different kinds of beetles?

Grove Park Terrace was down in buds and did not rebloom this year. It did rebloom the previous two years in my garden.

Hoopla was my favorite new purple this year.

This seedling has scads of scapes, but did not perform as well this year as last. Best scape had 17 buds, but most had 11-13. Ten-inch blooms on 40-inch scapes.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

I have a few more purples to add.

Bluegrass Memories is such a striking color here. I moved it to a shadier spot to keep the blooms from melting. Now the blooms look great all day.

Laura Harwood is a great late season bloomer.

A mediocre photo of Siloam Plum Tree, a trouble free oldie with lots of blooms. its in a spot thats hard to get to, doesnt get dead headed very often.

This is a seedling from Debra, Robes for the Queen X Black Falcon Ritual. First blooms last season, a great saturated color

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    2 years ago

Beautiful purples, everyone!

Debra, that Reckless Girls clump is a sight to behold. Buddy's Victoria Jade also catches my eye.

Sherry, a wonderful clump of Indian Giver. Ours never had color like that. We grow and love Luscious Kiss. It was a bonus for us too.

David, Desire of Nations never did well for us. I have heard high praise of it, so I don't know why it didn't like our climate.

All of the purple seedlings are wonderful too.

We don't grow as many purples as some of you do. Here is what I photographed this season.

The small clump of Absolute Ripper never seems to get any bigger, but I do love the flowers.

Heavenly Whirly Bird is described as maroon purple in its registration so I will put it in the purple category. We picked this one up cheap at a sale at a daylily show in St. Louis. I thought about getting rid of it because the scapes lean, but this year they stood up nice and straight. I guess it stays for a while.

Here is Hey Soul Sister showing its dark face. Sometimes it show and eye with a smoky look to the petals.

This picture does not show the correct color of Into the Badlands. This is relatively new and I think we will like this one when it gets established.

This one could potentially be one of my favorites when it gets established. Man-eating Bat was planted as a single fan a couple of seasons ago and is not yet very big.

Millicent Bystander always reblooms for us in September.

Sinister Variations is one that often gets overlooked. I need to move it to a better location.

This is our daughter's seedling Dental Delight X Happy Teeth. Rich Howard gifted her these seeds several years back. It has been moved to a select bed and looks good for a future introduction.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

What a great bunch of purples!!! I think I have more purple than any other color-so many I have said no more purple! Here are just a few.

Laura Harwood-I love this late bloomer

Larry’s Obsession had dwindled to nothing until I moved it last year. It has multiplied like crazy and gave 2 rebloom cycles this year.

Clownfish is smaller than my usual fare but it bloomed for a long time and also rebloomed twice

First year for Purple Dwarf-love the color

Plum Perfection-new this spring

Unshakable Kingdom is pretty in the morning but fades in heat

Love Struck

Garden Butterfly-always looks whimsical to me

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

And more!!

Bluegrass Memories

Vanishing Mist

Stargate Portal

Creature of the Night

My Big Brother Bobby

Blackberry Dragon

Big Hearted Jim

Marietta Heartbeat

Napa Valley Merlot

Supernatural xWaves of Joy-seedling shared by Kay

Oh my, these are just a few!! My eyes turned purple looking through these trying to select just a few of the many I have. Other dark ones I have include Bella Lugosi, Mary’s Baby, Jesse James, Killer, Raspberry Suede, Vatican City, Soli del Gloria, Evening Enchantment, Ron Valente, Lydia’s Regal Robe, Private Reserve, Bright in the Night, Holy Water, Thundering Voice..,

• mantis__oh
    2 years ago

Your Stargate Portal, Kate, is vivid. I had no blooms this year. The twisting sepals on Garden Butterfly are appealing and, yes, whimsical, along with the pinched petals. Desire of Nations has had two bad years in a row. Not a great grower and more of a hybridizer's plant. The Dental Delight seedling has a lot of pizzazz; the rolled-back sepals add to the attitude.

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

I have so many purples that it would be impossible to show them all. So I'll just highlight a few.

THUNDER GLOW, NEW this year so I can't evaluate.

THE ROYAL GREENS, in it's second year. First blooms were spotless like this but it can be splotchy. No problems opening. Pod and pollen fertile.

GETTING AIRBORNE, an incredible performer in my garden. Multiplies quickly, stout scapes, massive plant and blooms profusely

ABBY DAVISSON, large blooms and great color; reluctant pod setter but I got a pod!

SWALLOW TAIL KITE. One of the best daylilies in my garden. A massive plant, with dozens of scapes, blooms for a long time, one of my most fertile pod setters. Great increase and hardiness. Vigorous.

One of my seedlings, Jerry Hyatt x Mountain Bluebird

STARGATE PORTAL, an oldie that always performs well in my garden. My only complaint is that the scapes will lean or fall over in high wind (I live on a mountain)

My seedling 'Ron Valente' x 'Jerry Hyatt'....very dark

my seedling 'Ocean Pearl' x 'Violet Shadows'

THRONED IN GLORY (brand new this year from Phil Korth). I am impressed. Newly planted in May, bloomed profusely in July, set pods and gave good pollen. Seems to be vigorous.

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

Second set:

My favorite seedling in it's second year: 'Disturbance in the Force x Party Every Day'

This one is a massive plant and increased from 1 fan to 4 in year one, now it's 7 fans in year two. Great branching and bud count, blooms are over 7 inches, pod fertile.

TUPAC AMARU, never fails to do well here. Large plant, blooms well, healthy and vigorous, loads of pods

OLLY OLLY OXEN FREE, this is a favorite of mine because the grandson who we are raising is named Ollie. This one is fairly tender in my cold climate and is late coming up in the spring. Sometimes gets spring sickness but bounces back. A very good performer here with huge blooms. Reluctant to set pods but I have had some success.

ASTRAL VOYAGER, a great daylily here, cold hardy, only planted a couple years ago but blooms well, sets pods on every try

GRAPE UMBRELLA, brand new and received late so I can't comment on performance, nice color

JAMIE DOCKERY, does well here. Pod fertile and lovely

JERRY HYATT, will forever be a favorite of mine and is a parent to many of my seedlings. This one is a massive clump, rock hardy, gives multitudes of blooms and never fails me. Can go into early dormancy here after blooming if there is a drought but always comes back better than ever.

CLOAK AND DAGGER, nice smoky purple and very robust plant. Blooms mid-late here.

BIG HEARTED JIM, got this to honor my husband Jim.....tall, stocky plant with good bloom and nice dark color.

CASCO BAY DELIGHT, a stellar performer in my garden. Amazing bud count, thick scapes that never lean, huge plant, blooms have great substance, fertile.

• mantis__oh
    2 years ago

Wow--surprised that you got that purple from the cross of Party Every Day x Disturbance in the Force. It looks impressive! Disturbance in the Force is a so-so plant here, but yours obviously took traits of pollen parent. Jamie Dockery was always a laggard here. Climate change has made our area inhospitable for many, with late spring freezes.

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

Mantis, thank you for commenting on my favorite seedling. Yes, it most certainly takes after it's pollen parent 'Party Every Day' in terms of stature, blooms size and vigor. Interesting to note, I have 27 seedlings of that cross and all but one are purple. (One is solid white!). This one is the darkest of the bunch. To see it in person it is actually darker than my camera can capture. It has 5-way branching and bud count is around 23 which is excellent for my cold climate.

A few more purples:

RON VALENTE, is parent to many of my seedlings. The color can be variable here, ranging from deep velvety purple to smoky purple with a dark eyezone. Is a good plant most years but blooms can be splotchy if weather is damp and cold.

Here is one of it's offspring:

T-BONE WALKER, blooms mid-late here, a great plant

MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD, a good plant, very vigorous, good pod setter

MARY'S BABY, love the deep velvety blooms; nice plant under it

Found a clump photo of JERRY HYATT:

MISTOR MAYOR, new last year, did not bloom this year (last year's photo). Plant looks healthy but not sure why it didn't bloom this year. We did have a drought last year that continued into early summer.

LOUNGE LIZARD. An oldie but goodie here. Very healthy plant, blooms well, pod fertile

Sibling to my favorite seedling 'Disturbance in the Force x Party Every Day'.....same incredible branching (5-way) and bud count 26.....but taller and larger bloom of 8 inches. Not as pretty a flower but all seedlings from this cross were fairly similar in that they were purple mega-plants with amazing increase in just their second year.

a few others of this cross:

PLUMCAKE PATTY....brand new this year, plant seems very healthy and it did bloom well.

FINS TO THE LEFT, blooms fairly well in my cold climate for a Hansen

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

This is the thread for me! Just beautiful. I can't possible comment on everyone i like, but I will go thru and mention a few.

Debra: Reckless Girls.

Sherry Getting Airborne and of course Indian Giver

David: Michael Bennett [I agree great color] and Jazz Me Blues

Nancy: Sinister Variation. Missed seeing Snydley Whiplash, one of yours that I like the best.

Kate: Laura Harwood, Blackberry Dragon

Celeste: Abby Davisson, Swallow Tail Kite, Astral Voyager [one of my favorites of yours] and your seedling Ocean Pearl x Violet Shadows.

Belle Isle Sentry. It currently has 2 rebloom scapes that will never get to bloom, one has 5 way branching.

Someone's seedling [please remind me who you are!] Blessed Art Thou x Great White. First year. Love it!

Glory to His Name, new this year. Very pretty.

Kirsten's Corsage. A real favorite. I wish it increased more.

One of Karen's seedlings. These are a bit splotchy, but typically it is not.

Labnyrinth

more below

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Celeste - What a beautiful picture of Thunder Glow! Mine was super splotchy this year, and I did not get one good photo of it. Last year it only looked good a third of the time. It may not last here in my dewy climate. I do have a couple of seedlings from it, and I'm hoping they won't be as splotchy. All your seedlings look great, especially your favorite Disturbance in the Force kid and the Ron Valente baby!

Hoosier Nan and Celeste - I love your photos of Absolute Ripper. I have that one, but I'm saving the photo for the toothy day.

Kate - My favorites of yours are Vanishing Mist and Blackberry Dragon.

Nan - I always like Hey Soul Sister, and Sinister Variations stood out to me too! Your daughter's toothy purple seeding looks like a winner.

Sherry - What luscious color Bluegrass Memories has in your garden! The Black Falcon Ritual seedling has terrific rich color there too!

Brad - I really like Labyrinth and Kirsten's Corsage. The Blessed Art Thou seedling is mine. I'm glad it looks so pretty for you!

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

Whew..took the above post a while to post but it did!

Liberty Banner. It is an outstanding color.

Lord Chamberlain had a great year.

Peacock Maiden. Amazing blooms, but not many.

Purple Riot

Regal Heir

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

Well, these are the seedlings from Karen that supposedly posted in the first thread....

Royal Occasion is always perfect. It is a small very late, planted by the VTs. The throat glows and the purple is very shiny.

Seedling Bombay Silk x Vintage Wine. First year, started off with 12 buds.

Seedling First Light [my lavender seedling] x Indian Giver. Also first year and did well.

Seedling Siloam Amazing Grace x Indian Giver.

Vintage Wine [back] and Grape Velvet.

I think I will stop here. Maybe a few more later.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Brad - Karen's seedling has gorgeous shades of purple! I love the photo of Vintage Wine and Grape Velvet together. (I added another message for you in my group post below.)

Debra

• mantis__oh
    2 years ago

Brad, how would you compare the Indian Giver seedling to the original? Perhaps too early to tell. Using Bombay Silk as a parent may add luster to the kids. Celeste, your Party Every Day cross was a bonanza. Who would have expected all those deep purples? The genes must have come from TET Indian Giver.

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

Yes, Mantis I thought the same thing.....that tet Indian Giver's color was coming through strongly in these seedlings. Here are a few of the others to show how purple they are:

I forgot to add 'CRINTONIC RAIN DANCES' to my purples!

• daylilybedmaker
    2 years ago

Here are a few more purples

MYSTERY OF THE AGES: This has been a consistent performer.

BELA LUGOSI: A very nice purple, that does well in a not so good place in the garden.

ABSOLUTE RIPPER: This is the second year in the ground. Increase is moderate. It make large blooms.

Super model: The blooms are always perfect on this one. Give it space as it increases quickly.

That is the last of the purples that I can find.

David

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

David, I like Mystery of the Ages. Brad, my Belle Isle Sentry didn't bloom this year. I think it was angry about last year's drought.

• mantis__oh
    2 years ago

I got Mystery of the Ages based on David's recommendation. We shall see how it performs here. Celeste, as severe as your drought was, you seem to have had quite a bit of bloom. I think you have watering limitations too.

• Nancy 6b
    2 years ago

Houzz does not seem to want to post my pictures, maybe it will let me just write a little bit

I have All of My Love to You, can't wait it mine looks like that, Debra. I have debated before on getting Reckless Girls but always talk myself out of it, but what a clump! Bluegrass Shadows looks so pretty, but I think I heard it does not grow that well?

Love your Laura Harwood, Sherry. Mine did well this year, 2nd year I think for me.

Nancy, Absolute Ripper is another I keep talking myself out of, but regretting that now. Man Eating Bat looks great

Kate, I have always liked the look of Larry's Obsession, but it died for me and I have not tried it again. I got Love Struck this fall, hope mine survives. Garden Butterfly is gorgeous

Celeste, Thunder Glow was on my wish list, but you are not the only one who mentioned splotches, so it quickly came off. Love Olly Olly Oxen free and Claudine's Charm. Claudine died last year, I may replace that on. I think a big mole dug under it.

Brad, Kirsten's Corsage always looks good for you, and I like Liberty Banner

David, Mystery of the Ages is gorgeous

I will see if Houzz will let me post a few pictures by editing

Back Scratcher has done well for me

Blue Voodoo has done really well, expecially since it is really crowded by another plant. I know I took better pictures than this one

Enduring Freedom always does well, occasionally it splotches but not often since I moved it

Coach's Magic Man has increased well in its 2nd season, bloomed and rebloomed both years I have had it. This will b e nice when it becomes a nice clump

Filled to Overflowing almost died a couple of years ago, went down to 1 fan, but is a nice clump this year and bloomed over 6 weeks

Westbourne Chip off the Old Block is as great as Kay promised, bloomed for almost 2 months with rebloom

Green Rainbow

Kierabel is a lighter purple with deeper purple in it, so I may have it in the wrong category. It is a great plant though, has multiplied really well and bloomed great

Westbourne REvivals does well

Make it Snappy did great this year

• Nancy 6b
    2 years ago

Purples seem to do well here, maybe that is why I like them so much

Shaka Zulu

Soli Deo Gloria did not have a lot of blooms, but they bloomed out for over a month. Is there a term for daylilies like that?

Hint of blue

Idoo Voodoo was new this year, hoping for better next year

Mister Mayor is a great one

Called Scarlet Pimpernel, but looks purple to me

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

Mantis, it is too early to compare the Indian Giver kids. One thing for sure, IG is the dominant color giver in the several crosses I've done. Only one plant is pale yellow, just as you and Celeste noted.

Celeste, you have some great IG seedings!

Nancy, I like Mister Mayor, Hint of Blue and Back Scratchier.

David, BELA LUGOSI: is so nice! It always catches my attention.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nancy - I'm glad Houzz finally let you post. Your photos of Soli Deo Gloria are always so scrumptious. I wish mine looked as splotch-free. That clump of Mister Mayor wows me. I look forward to mine clumping up so nice. Hint of Blue really does look blue in in your photo. Nice clump of Back Scratcher! I remember when mine looked that way. It's good to see your Filled to Overflowing has recovered. That one is so pretty!

Bluegrass Shadows is a semi-evergreen and grows very well here. It multiplies well and has bud counts in the teens for me. The Floyd Cove purple I acquired at the same time two seasons ago that does not grow well is Kindred Jewel, which is the evergreen child of Bluegrass Shadows. Of course, the problem in my garden could be grubs.

Kindred Jewel (photo from two years ago) - This season It only had four or five buds per scape and ALL of those blooms were super splotchy.

Here's another photo of Bluegrass Shadows. It opens well in cool temps and doesn't have the splotchies. The petal color is much darker when temps are low. I do recommend this one.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I can't resist posting a few more purples. (I'm surprised some of you didn't post more. There's no limit on the number of photos this year, since so few of us are posting.)

My best branched purple two years running has been The Blues Project. The flowers are in the 4-inch range but the sheer number of blooms late in the season packs a punch. Unfortunately this one hasn't been pod or pollen fertile for me.

Applique is always a welcome sight in the early season.

Violet Sabrewing has such lovely shades of purple.

Nordic Soul is a reliable rebloomer and sets every pod tried. It continues to have short scapes here though.

Gypsy Cats was splotchier than it has been in past years, and I never got a good clump shot of it.

This is the second year for River City Jam. Bud count was 8-10.

Star Lord impressed me in its first year to bloom here. It had nice tall scapes and plenty of blooms, and also kept most of its pods when temps were in the 90s.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

Aren’t there a lot of gorgeous purples on here?!!! Having to resist making notes!! Here are more of mine.

Bright in the Night

Spacecoadt Royal Rumble

Dark Prince

Cosmic Sensation is in the shade-does not have high bud count but shade gives it this color!!

Edge of Chaos

A noid I really like

My bee pollen lily

Purple Sombrero

It Plays in Peoria

Chokecherry Mountain

Private Reserve can be stunning when not splotchy

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kate - I love that bee pollen lily! My Private Reserve looked pretty good this year. It had at least a few clean blooms.

Private Reserve

Debra

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

Debra, that is a gorgeous pic of Private Reserve! It is so hard to get a splotch free photo. The bee pollen bloom grew up in the middle of the clump whose flower you see in the photo. I did dig it up and separate it. I am hoping for good increase.

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

Debra, I really like Nordic Soul, Blues Project, and Star Lord. I'm seeing more and more daylilies named for sci-fi and Marvel characters. Star Lord is one of those.

Brad