SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_callahan0

Houzz inspiration success story

Jill Callahan
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

After removal 2 sickly King Palm Trees, we were needing to redesign a large front garden area to the left of our front doors. We began interviewing local landscape architects, but none came up with an unique or original plan for this oddly shaped area. I wanted to select a designer who could take the odd shape of this garden and turn it into a design feature, make it the highlighted feature of the design. Instead my designers just wanted to fill in whole area with rock and drought resistant plants. Might be a good plan for some people, but not what I was looking for. No one gave me the originality I saw seeking , no imagination.
So I turned to Houzz. I knew that somewhere a Houzz designer would have been asked to perform using a similar design dilemma. I began searching for small space inspiration. I was fortunate to find the perfect design in the ‘Coastal Oaks’ photos from a project by Mary Poulos interiors in Portland, Oregon. Her garden Inspiration was exactly what I was looking for. Plus her garden dimensions and configuration were similar to mine. So it was easy to apply her creativity to our outdoor area. I attempted to reach out to her on two occasions and received no reply. It doesn’t look like her brick-and-mortar address is open and operating. I was disappointed but decided to use her ideas to create my own design and present it to local landscapers who would complete it to our satisfaction. and adjusting to our Zone 10.
This project turned into a perfect front yard feature. I wanted to share our previous photos, Mary‘s inspirational photos, and our final beauty. Everything turned out exactly the way we wanted. We reached out to Mary Poulos to share our joy. No response, so I am posting on here in the hopes she may read this. I wanted her to actually see how her design inspiration resulted in a bright spot in our yard.
So, thank you Houzz for giving Houzz members the opportunity to soak up design inspiration. We are very grateful for the service you provide. Jill Callahan

Comments (5)