SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl66

Lighting for kitchen - no upper cabinets

gardengrl66 z5
2 years ago

Okay, stepping gingerly into the advice/discussion world...here are pictures of my new kitchen layout, with elevations of the two walls of the "L". (I always feel like putting the pictures first helps, with the questions after...). Still making some minor changes with the cabinet folks, but this is pretty much the gist.

Maybe I'm being contrary but I do not love tons of recessed can lights. I feel like it makes the ceiling look like swiss cheese. That said, I can see putting a couple of them in front of the fridge and the wall oven - maybe centered in the aisle, at 2 feet from the counters? I also do not love pendants because they break up sight lines. So I'm planning to do two flush mounted fixtures over the island which is 9 by 4 feet.

The questions I have are to do with lighting the sink, and the work area between the sink and the cooktop which is sort of L-shaped. There are two windows flanking the cooktop which are not shown and those face south, so during the day there will be lots of light.

I keep reading conflicting things about lighting a sink: One over the center, or two on the edges?

Would sconces over the prep areas make sense? I think that could be really pretty...Or should I really do cans (just in from the edge of the counter)? Anyone with pictures of these things? Thanks!

Comments (16)