SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judijunebugarizonazn8

Gopher-Proofing Roses

If I remember correctly, Jeri is the one who recently mentioned planting roses in 20 gallon nursery pots in the ground after drilling them full of 3/4" holes. Since I live in a gopher infested area and am working at planting more roses, I made a mental note of this. However, I have a few questions as to how you do this. I have planted other things in pots in the ground and had some trouble with soil compaction. I don't want to risk this with my roses, so I have so far not planted any of my roses that way. Do you cut out the bottom? I am thinking gophers probably won't dig that deep, but may be mistaken. Do you only use potting mix in the pots itself and backfill around the pot with native soil? I would appreciate hearing tips from any of you who have had long-term success with planting this way.
Two years ago I set out some young fruit trees planted in gopher baskets my husband and I made out of hardware cloth. My husband didn't like my idea of letting the tops stick out of the soil several inches because he was afraid our little children would get scratches from them. I said they shouldn't be playing that close to my fruit trees anyway.;) Well, turns out, this time I was right. ( For once! Ha!) We didn't let a lip of basket around the soil and this past summer I lost two of my fruit trees to gophers. I don't enjoy making wire baskets and buying them ready made is a bit pricey, so I'm looking into this idea of planting in large pots in the ground. What words of wisdom can you give me?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm