SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sile411

Reality Check on How to Build a Rounded Spa Step

sile411
2 years ago

We are having our pool and spa renovated, primarily to replace the existing black Pebbletec with a White Pebblesheen finish. As part of that reno, we are adding 6x6 waterline tiles around the perimeter of the pool (previously there were no waterline tiles), we are retiling the exterior of the spa (previously it was a jagged, stacked rock look), we are adding a band of tiles to the top of each step (to aid in depth perception), and we are adding a single rounded step in one corner of the spa to aid in entering the spa.

We are now on Week 7 on what we were told would be a 3 week job. We understand that contractors are spreading themselves thin these days, and we anticipated that. Days go by with no workers showing up. But additionally, in our case, the tiling subcontractors are not being adequately supervised, which has resulted in numerous, needless errors being made, and work needing to be re-done.

The most recent head-scratcher was the installation of the rounded spa step. This is where I need the reality check. First, the step build-out was done in the wrong corner of the spa (yet another error in need of correcting), but I was truly shocked to see how the "rounded" step is being constructed, and I would appreciate some feedback from those who are familiar with this process, so I can knowledgeably "guide" the tilers when they reappear to fix this latest gaffe. As currently constructed, the step is basically two stacks of cinder blocks, which makes the first step into the spa a decent height. But then the second step onto the spa bench is quite a drop. I am going to attach photos to illustrate.

Is this how a rounded spa step is typically constructed? How are the dead space corners filled in? Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)