SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherry_pepper

Electrical outlet in floor, or other options?

Frank Marsh
2 years ago

I have an open plan main living area with a living room about 16'6" x16'9". See photo. The fireplace and connections for the TV are on the right. Therefore, living room seating (sofa, recliner, etc, needs to go to the left. The one ceiling fan light in the room currently isn't really enogh to light it for tasks like reading. It seems like I will want table or floor lamp(s) to the left. At 16'9" though, I don't want the seating way against the left wall. That seems too far and not a great traffic pattern (there are other doors to rooms and stairs etc to the left. I was thinking of having a 10' x 10' or so area rug and the seating around that, leaving perhaps 4 feet on the left for foot traffic.

What are my options for adding electrical for lighting (and perhaps something else like a laptop that one might plug in) on the left? I do like having a ceiling fan in the room, but the light on it doesn't necessarily need to stay. I know I could do some track lighting, I could run a wire in a chase around the carpet.

The basement underneath is currently unfinished, so I was thinking of possibly adding an electrical outlet in the floor. I don't really want to cut holes in my nice floor, and I don't want to do something that would be so specific to my needs as to detract from future resale value of the home, but would people have significantly different ways of furnishing this room that wouldn't involve an area rug? Are people putting furniture directly on these faux wood floors without rugs?

FWIW, the ceiling is 9 ft.

Comments (10)