SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_474629887

Hot kitchen - west facing brick home

LKB
2 years ago

I live in Texas. The red line is the wall im talking about and it faces almost due west.

My kitchen faces west. Brick home. No shade trees.

I have 2 windows that face due west, one the faces north west, and 2 more that face north. The north ones are covered by a large patio.

The 3 windows that face west, I have installed Gila Window heat control window film. It makes a large difference but not enough.

Ive noticed my produce (onions mostly) only last a few days in the summer. The pantry is on the west wall, backs up to the water heater and the garage.

I leave the door open, but its noticeably warmer in the pantry.

I can even feel the warmth radiating off my backsplash.

The difference can be 10 degree from the eat facing bedroom (where thermostat is)

If we turn down the AC, the rest if the house is freezing.

I love to cook, but a hot kitchen with no air movement is miserable. We currently have a stand fan i am constantly moving around that just gets in the way.

Im constantly cleaning it, which is a pain.

Its warm before I’ve even turned on the stove or oven. Summer is ending but i know starting in April of next year its just going to happen again.

Ive thought of:

Adding a mini split to the pantry (expensive short and long term)

Mounting a ceiling fan over the dining table to at least help with air movement

Mounting fan on the wall that I can point a specific direction.

Trying to do some kind of awning on the exterior or pergola (not sure what i can get approved by HOA- its not too strict but still a pain)

This house has sure taught me a ton- its our first and feel like next time we will do better but for now im just trying to manage what I can.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!