SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Some of my northern Virginia citrus

Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Armstrong satsuma during an 'on' year. These taste pretty good already. Another few weeks of cold nights and sunny days will sweeten them up even more.

Key lime. Many of the ripe ones have fallen already. I will squeeze and freeze for key lime pie. This plant never fails to bear lots of fruit for me. Too tart to eat out of hand though !

Owari satsuma, maybe a week behind Armstrong in terms of ripeness. Larger fruit than Armstrong.

Xie Shan mandarin. Few fruit, but quite large and starting to turn color. It bloomed again mid-summer and has more smaller fruit on it. We’ll see how they progress.

Shiranui/Dekopon/Sumo. This one seems harder to grow well for me. Fruit often split in late summer. Maybe it needs a larger pot. Lots of small fruits abort over summer as well. Hoping these large fruit hang on. One of my favorites in terms of flavor.

Clementine-Yuzu hybrid from seed. Maybe 10 years old now? Fruit ripen in winter, although they seem to be ahead of schedule. When perfectly ripe, they are sweet with a lot of tang (which I like).

Murcott (grafted early last year from Trader Joes stem-and-leaf mandarins). First time fruiting for me.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville