SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheltie6

Monarch caterpillars not pupating

sheltie6
2 years ago

Eight days ago (October 15), a neighbor posted on Next Door that Monarch caterpillars had decimated her 15 milkweed plants to the point that there were no more leaves and they were eating the stems. I had Monarch caterpillars over the summer and my milkweed supply was pretty bare, but I at least had some so I offered to take the 4 cats she had remaining. For the next couple days, the cats were on my protected back porch eating on milkweed in containers. My limited milkweed supply was dwindling fast, plus, night temperatures were getting down to the 50's, so I moved the cats to an enclosure indoors that I put back on my covered porch during the day when the temps were warm enough. To stretch out the little bit of milkweed I had left, I supplemented with cantaloupe which I have used with Monarch caterpillars in the past and had good luck with. At all times, there was milkweed in the enclosure.... I just could only bring in a few leaves at a time and as they were close to being completely consumed, I brought in more. I made sure the milkweed was always fresh and not dried up. I observed the caterpillars eating both the milkweed and the cantaloupe. All four caterpillars seemed healthy and were getting fat. On October 19, two of the cats climbed to the top of the enclosure and soon after that, went into the J formation. The other two cats followed suit on October 21. Today is October 23 and none of the four caterpillars have pupated. They have straightened from the J and are just hanging there.... and they are all shrinking. They are still alive because I can see them twitch and make slight movements occasionally. It is like they are trying to form into a chrysalis, but can't. I am really concerned and at a loss about what to do. I don't want to be too hasty if they will indeed form a chrysalis, but I also don't want them to be miserable if they are doomed to not progress any further than this. Has anyone out there who has raised Monarch caterpillars ever experienced anything like this?

Not the best photo. The cat in the middle attached on Tuesday, four days ago, and is much thinner than the other two that attached two days ago. The fourth caterpillar is hanging on the other side of the enclosure.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH