SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_benoit25

Made good progress this season. Too bad its over

Kevin -zone 4b
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My 3 plants all did pretty well this summer. I have a calamondin bush that hasn't been doing much. My 2 plants that I'm very proud of are my Ponderosa and Valentia.

So , I've been in a constant struggle with the ponderosa ever since I've gotten it 4 years ago. From the start, I knew nothing about the plant, heavily overwatered it and the darn plant had consistent root rot every year with no real recovery in the summer. I changed to smart pots for all my plants last fall and this spring I heavily pruned the poor ponderosa. By then it had maybe 1/7th of its original root system, I cleaned all the roots and kept only the healthy ones. The next month it rewarded my with its first real growth flush in 2 years and I had a total of three growth flushes all summer. It seems to be ready for another growth flush, I got two 80W (8000lm) LED lights for my tree so hopefully its enough for good growth.

My Valencia orange had 2 flushes this summer and ripened 2 oranges. My main goal was straightening a long side branch to somehow turn it to an upright tree with a bushy base. I think I'm getting there, back in may, the tree couldn't hold its own weight at all. It can now stay upright, Just needs to be straightened out a bit more.

My calamondin bush is slightly pale, its been like that all summer and its been in a questionable mix for 3 years now (received as a rescue plant) so I think next year I'm fully repotting in pro-mix HP. I still think its a beautiful tree

Ponderosa in may

Ponderosa in october

Valencia in early july

Valencia in october

Calamondin bush last october

Calamondin bush this october

Comments (3)