SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
april_wisdom

Kitchen Update: Lighting Guidance, Please!

userLA57
2 years ago

Hello, I'm looking for guidance on a lighting plan for our kitchen update. There are a couple of considerations:

1. The fluorescent tube lighting above the cabinets was changed to LED. The shorter bulbs over the oven are having flickering issues. Wondering if there is just a completely better option to switch out with for all?

2. Kitchen fixture: Ceilings are 11'. It may be that kitchen fixture would be better as semi-flush mount if we go with pendants for the countertop top. Or is the ceiling too high for that? Would just recessed can(s) be a better option? Guess depends on if we go with pendants for the counter area, or not?

3. Breakfast area: new furniture will be an oval 60x36 table with an approx. 50" settee pushed back toward the windows, and two chairs. It seems we will need to move the existing fixture back probably 10-12" to center over the table. And, of course, lowered to 30-36" above the table. Would this be the best option? Or leave where it is using a new fixture? Or go to cans and not have to move?

4. Countertop area: the 2 exists cans are not centered over the sink OR over the counter - no clue as to why! I'm worried the right-side pendant light would be too close to the shelves. Would we want to move those to be more centered over the sink? Keep them where they are? Or move to be centered over the end of the countertop peninsula to the far right?

My DH is voting for the least amount of disruption for what is existing, but he's good with whatever I decide to do with it. It's a small area. Is it worth the expense to move things around? (Side more: our bulbs are all currently 3000K throughout the house).

I'll include photos of the space & new fixture possibilities. Thanks for any help, opinions, advice!

Comments (19)