SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_764972665

Fitting two full size beds in a room

HU-764972665
2 years ago

I have aa room thst is 148 inches wide and 188 inches in length. i need to fit two full beds for my elserly parents. will the toom work?

Comments (28)

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

Where are the windows and doors ... what else is in the room ... of course you can fit two full beds in a 12' x 15' room ... we need more information to tell you whether it will work.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

as above,,,,,Where are the windows, the closet the entry door? At least post a photo. A drawing with measurements is better.

What else will be in the room? A chair, a dresser? Etc.

• Related Discussions

Looking for a full to queen size MCM sofa bed for guests. Recs?

Q

Comments (2)
    We recently launched our range of sofa beds, and the feedback has been really positive (check out the customer reviews). Historically sofa beds have been a compromise - an unattractive sofa combined with an uncomfortable bed. We took our time designing ours to ensure they are both good looking and incredibly comfortable. In addition, our sofa beds were designed specifically to get the most out of small spaces. Good luck in your sofa bed search!
    ...See More

Fitting two twin beds and a sectional?

Q

Comments (3)
    Window sills are about 2 feel off the wall. So pretty low. I'm not sure distance to closet but putting furniture in front of the closet would require placing something in front the door to the bedroom.
    ...See More

Twin or Full size beds for kids sharing room

Q

Comments (17)
    sonni1 I'm worried about that as well. The bed being too small in a short period of time so I'm looking for beds that are fairly sturdy but reasonably priced as well I've been seeing beds bu this company South Shore and they have all the features I am looking for but I'm not so sure of how sturdy their products are. I don't expect them to be solid wood type quality but does anyone have experience with this company's beds and can speak to their quality? Thank you
    ...See More

Room size for two full beds

Q

Comments (2)
    it really depends on how much furniture you want to add how you want to arrange the furniture A full bed is 53" wide..if you place them side by side with a nightstand in between..add to the width of that plus I would say two more nightstands (one on each side). On average, that would bring you to 17ft wide room. The length again, depends on what you want to use..the bed is usually 75" long
    ...See More
  • HU-764972665
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Below is a photo of the house plan. It is bedroom 5 with a window and closet

• HU-764972665
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pic below

• HU-764972665
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There will be a bench or nightstand between the beds and one chest of drawers. Tv mounted to a wall

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

Well, if you put the heads of the beds up against the window wall, there would be some overlap of the windows, but it would set up the room to put the dresser, with the TV mounted over it, between the two doors. it could work fine with the correct headboard and window dressing choices.

You could also set up the beds on the exterior wall; allowing space for the closet access/door swing, you'd have a similar length of wall to work with, and you'd be able to set them closer together (since there wouldn't be a window to block between them), which could allow for space between the window and the bed. The dresser and TV would be on the opposite wall, straight ahead as one walked in; this is kind-of the classic hotel room set-up.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Could you zoom in on the actual bedroom you are using? That would be nice............

• HU-764972665
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I zoom snapshot

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Fit and work....are two different things. No is the answer, Twins or a king..........

You must give them direct route to a bath.....and ROOM to walk safely

Inches do not lie, 1/4 inch to a foot below.

A full bed is 54 wide, and two will suck an inconvenient 108 inches from either wall.

Best? The twins, The passage at the foot being the issue. ...................

I will add I have done quite a few senior living places : )

The twins are your best option. And the safest for ANY mobility issues.

Note. Two twins can be pushed together to equal the king, and will give you five more inches of passage at the foot of the bed. You buy a filler foam strip for between the mattresses, and ONE headboard. Then use King bedding. It's done all the time, allowing soft/firmer mattress options for a couple.

You always have to keep in ind, adequate lighting bedside and passage, no tripping hazards, a place to sit while dressing.......etc. Along with the easiest route to a bath in the night.

A closet door? Often better REMOVED.

• Valinta
    2 years ago

Jan’s idea is best. Also consider pocket doors instead of traditional doors.

• Valinta
    2 years ago

Add a sturdy chair with arms to ease getting in and out of. Nothing too deep or low. This will help them when changing clothes.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

That's why the benches are there.......................... A bench is the same height as a chair: ) at 18/19 inches. I will hope that tub shown..is actually a very accessible SHOWER. A pocket door from the family room to this space? Yes. ...........please.

• HU-764972665
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you

• Lynda Crockett
    2 years ago

Why not use two single beds? Your room is roughly 12' by 13' which is a regular size bedroom and can nicely accommodate one queen size bed or a full size bed nightstands on both sides or two single beds with a night stand between them. We had a guest bedroom with two antique poster style single beds and a tiny antique nightstand in the Middle with a pull-out drawer and pull out shelf for a glass of water or something. My mother put beautiful blue and white striped ticking fitted sheets with gorgeous white cotton lace-bordered top sheets and blue and white striped goose feather duvet with goose feathered mattress topper under the sheets. I love sleeping in that room.

• Lynda Crockett
    2 years ago

Yes Jan Moyer's idea is perfect ❤️

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

Jan's math is the only answer. Twin beds will work in this room ... fulls will not. They're also easier to make up, and if one person is sick, the other person is less affected.

Having said that, I'd want a king ... I'd want to sleep next to my husband.

What I dislike about the king-sized layout is that the closet is right next to one side of the bed ... I've lived with that, and I hated it.

Alternate: You could place the king bed under the window ... that would give you 34" on each side of the bed, which isn't really plentiful but is workable.

Do they want any other furniture in the room? For example, an overstuffed chair in which one parent could "get away" to read or watch TV?

• HU-764972665
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes they do want an oversized or lounge chair

• partim
    2 years ago

There is room for double beds with narrower walkways. Put both beds with the headboards on the outside wall. The beds take up 104" of the wall space, leaving 76" for the 3 walkways. Remove the swinging door to the walk in closet, and either Leave a 30" in front of the closet, 28" between beds, and 18" between the bed and window. Make the window curtain a "single draw" from one side so there is less need to walk there.

The parents should choose whether they want narrower walkways and wider beds, or vice versa. If the parents are used to a double bed each I doubt they will be happy with twins. Or maybe one parent is OK with a twin and one needs a double?

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Not to think negatively, but they are elderly and a wheelchair or walker might be in the future. In that case it will be more important to have room to navigate than to have a larger bed. I suggest a sliding door to the closet to free some floor space. Consider a pair of extra long twin beds. You could also think about a full bed and a twin; if one of them wouldn't mind the twin. The full could go on the solid exterior wall and the twin on the opposite wall. It could be outfitted as a sofa for daytime, if one of them wanted to retreat there to read or even nap. Here is a way to corner and design a daybed so it can function as a sofa. The twin could be done this way left or right of the window, leaving room for a full on the long exterior wall. Think about enlarging the doorways to accommodate a wheelchair. You could use a smaller transfer chair if that is not possible, but it is always a good idea to have one bathroom accessible for issues that may befall any of us. After your parents are gone, there is always the possibility that one of you could suffer limited mobility and having this ground floor bed/bath ready for that is important.

Media Room/Guest Bedroom · More Info

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

How many couples use two FULL beds in a bedroom? Do you know ANY? I don't. ( can only assume this was the parent arrangement prior ) Guess what? When a couple shares a king bed? They are in fact, each sleeping in a "twin" . So this is perhaps, a lot of brain surgery over nothing, when inches do not lie.

Too, I don't know the ages of the op parents. I do know that we often in this life switch roles and yup,,,,,,,, we begin to parent our parents. We do what is BEST for them. If you have been "there" you know this very well.

You do this, because a fall can lead to other horrible things, because what seems so simple to you, gets harder with age, and because, much like little kids...................they can be quite insistent on things that are not the best for their safety, mobility, and I will stop there. Whether at home, in senior living places, at home with YOU.... some whining you simply ignore.

You are giving them a room. Give them some room: ) Don't make toe stubbing the start and end to their day. They'll be just fine in twins, you can bet on it. ....x long? Fine!. And you will always have the option of creating a king from the twins. Bonus? You can make up a twin without a "walk around". They can too.

PS..... 25 inches for a passage, isn't a passage for anyone past the age of 12.......making full beds a not great option unless you give them a different room. Don't do them that" full size favor".

BTW....... There is no room for the reading chair concept in any scenario. It Is what it is, 12 x 15 with a closet and passage to a bath/exit.

Most important? If the house is not yet built, ask yourself it you need a "living room". If this is to be the long term arrangement of parents with you? Perhaps a roomier bath, and a dedicated sitting room for them. Find a closet space elsewhere?

It isn't easy living with your kids.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

My parents had two full beds in the master; not entirely unheard of. It was much larger though.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

"Larger" being the operative word.................

• Lorraine Leroux
    2 years ago

IF this is a new build I would give them their own suite. Turn the bathroom lengthwise along the outside wall instead and create a hallway to a sitting room and create the larger bedroom to suit their needs for now and in the future. This would allow you put in everything you need for them as well as some privacy when they want it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Cant turn the bath. : ) Trust me on it. You need more width than 12" to allow, bath, closet , passage etc.....even with the black "blob" out of the equation.

You can however, enlarge the bath, and dedicate a sitting room all their own. An 11 x 12 "living room" isn't really a living room. It will become a what do we do with it lets just walk past it space, anyway. But two comfy chairs, a console and a tv.....fits nicely in 9 x 12. . Even 8 x 12, should they want a wall of book cases,.It's not en suite.....who cares? It's semi private and cozy.. If they aren't mobile enough to get to it? They aren't mobile enough for a lot of things: ) Including getting to a kitchen for a meal.

• partim
    2 years ago

I also know couples with doubles in their room.

I am surprised that I'm the only person suggesting that the parents be consulted on this decision. Especially since every post about a child's room has some statement about how it is their space, they have to have input etc.

"Some whining you simply ignore" with respect to the parents is not the way to a good outcome. I say this as a person who was lucky to grow up with my grandmother in our family's home, and whose 88 year old mother now lives with me and my husband.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

Another thought ... assuming two twin beds: Place them in an L-shape with a custom-made square nightstand in the corner to hold lamps, etc. This gives you a lot more floor space.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

I did not suggest ignoring wishes. I suggested SOMETIMES.....you need the safety concern first. It is natural at any age to cling to whatever you are used to. We all do it. It's not always possible with change. ........or even wise.

Mrs Pete's idea? If they were 40? Great. But bedSIDE tables are extremely important. Pills, tissue, water glasses. , reading glasses and god knows what else. So........no, despite a roomy floor. : )

Nobody was more......"used to stuff" than my dad. He was a challenge. My mom had dementia. He had all his faculties, more stressing physical issues. It was not easy.....so. Enough said. : ) It's life. Handy, at hand , accessible, as much as possible. . It matters.

• Lorraine Leroux
    2 years ago

IF this is a new build I would reconsider the space all together. There are a lot of options like turning the bathroom along the outside wall and create a hallway from the bedroom to the living room with the bathroom in the middle. Consider pocket doors instead of full swim doors as it creates more useable floor space. There would be enough space to make the bathroom A.D.A compliant if need be with a bathroom at a minimum 8 ft wide by however long you wish. This is considering a hallway of 42". I would also suggest you get away from the walk in closet. You will get more hanging room from a reach in wardrobe unit with drawers on the bottom then you will get with a walk in because you will not need to consider a walker or wheelchair allowance of floor space in your design. This will also give you more bed options since dressers are not needed.

IF 2 double beds are important to your parents I would again reconsider the space for them. You will need a minimum of 18 ft to fit in 2 doubles allowing for 3ft of space on all sides.

Best to you for considering your aging parents. They need our help as well as some consideration for independence.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida