SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_672461369

Need help with Elephant Ear/alocasia

Michelle Day
2 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first time posting, but reading through others' posts has been so helpful as I've been working on my ability to be a better house plant parent this past year and a half. Thank you all!

I need help-- I bought my Elephant Ear/Alocasia three weeks ago at the farmer's market. I have watered it twice since then, it sits in front of a West facing window, and it recently unfurled a new leaf! However, I've noticed some signs that are making me concerned, and I could use some feedback.

1. About two weeks ago, I noticed one of the smaller leaves on the bottom was drooping. I checked the soil, watered, and chalked it up to the moving stress. I cut off that leaf. However, the second smaller leaf on the plant is now drooping as well.

2. About two weeks ago, I noticed some holes and markings on the leaves that I didn't notice before. When I looked back at pictures, two of the holes/tears were there, but the others were not. I wiped the leaves off with warm soapy water.

3. Past week and a half, I've noticed it is dripping water from it's leaves. I learned from these posts that it looks like it is "guttation", however, the soil doesn't feel super wet.

Please advise--the plant does appear root bound, but I'm worried about repotting it until I figure out what's going on. I've attached pictures below.

Thank you!

Comments (8)