SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_cz10

Homeade fertilizer for potted roses?

Bc _zone10b
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello rose forum :) I've been out of the gardening loop, but finally settled into a new place on the west coast near the water. Hope you all had a good summer of roses and are staying healthy.

I don't have the yard I used to have back east, but I've potted up some roses I found at nurseries here for my smaller outdoor space.

I was wondering what you all thought about making mulch/fertilizer out of washed up seaweed and crab shells I find (well my dog finds for me). I was thinking of just putting the seaweed on the top of the soil in the pots and letting it rot into the soil. Any thoughts? Was thinking maybe I could soak the seaweed with some alfafa pellets and banana peels for a good organic fertilizer that won't burn them in their pots.

Also back at my previous place in zone5, all of my roses that I mulched heavily last winter really took off this summer. The Bathshebas, Graham Thomas and Pilgrim really put on a nice show with tall laterals flowering off the main branches I trained horizontal. Think the alfalfa hay with fallen leaves mulch that I laid down last winter helped them all come back strong(thanks @strawchicago z5 !)

Here are some photos of the flowers I've gotten so far with my potted roses here. Abe and Jude have intense scents. I'd read about them, but they exceeded my expectations so far. Peace rose is the last pic below...beautiful flowers but plant has lots of brown dry looking leaves and not sure why. She known to be tricky?

Comments (38)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!