SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markay_6746

Roses at the National Botanical Garden in DC

Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I work in DC and am fortunate to work close enough to the National Botanical Garden to take a stroll through the garden at lunchtime. The rose garden is surrounded by a tall wall which gives it enough protection that it is not uncommon to have roses blooming from April (starting with the glorious Lady Banks) until December (Heritage is often the last rose blooming). We had about 18 months of working from home during COVID, so I missed all of last season, and the first part of this season. By the time we returned to the office it was mid july and not the best time for roses.

That said, watching the roses through the season has been very informative to me as I contemplate what to plant next.

Some of my observations… Summer Romance looked very healthy in mid July and had obviously just finished an impressive flush. I have been waiting for another flush since July but it never happened and when I visited today it was most defoliated. I am glad I never ordered this rose.

Ducher, Lafter, and Perle D’or were all added to my garden after seeing how consistently they performed. I’m trying to figure out a spot for Cramoisi Superieur because it is a beauty too.

Buff Beauty has not bloomed at all.

Winter Sunset is consistently gorgeous and healthy as is Quietness. Winter Sunset is a tough name for me to keep straight though since there is also Winter Sun and Summer Sunset.

Mrs. Dudley Cross had suffered defoliating blackspot throughout the summer and has been pretty rough looking so I was unprepared for how gorgeous she was today!

Comments (5)