SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

What's with all the bras without hooks?

I've noticed a ton of advertising lately for bras without hooks or other fasteners that you have to pull over your head to get on and off.

I can see how it's a lot cheaper to make a bra without fasteners, but please, give me a bra that I can put on and take off without being in a wrestling match with it!

Comments (59)

• arkansas girl
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Just a word of advice, you are supposed to pull the bra on from the bottom up. To remove, take it off by pulling it down over your rear and feet. Makes it way easier to put on a sport's bra! You're welcome...HAHAHA!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

I've purchased SOMA bras after someone mentioned here. I wear around the house or out walking with exercise clothes. I discovered it is easier to remove if you start by taking one strap down, that arm out, then pull entire bra over head. Video will not be provided - you're welcome. :D

• Related Discussions

drip irrigation without a hose hook up?

Q

Comments (4)
    When people go on vacation, there are several ways to deal with watering plants, like potted plants. You can place them in a pan of water, on top of a sponge (minus the individual water trays for the pots). There are also things that fit on 2 liter bottles. You fill the bottle with water, tilt it upside down, and push the thing in the dirt. I think the cap is made out of ceramic so the water slowly seeps out over days or even a week. I've seen them at the store, don't know what they are called. A new method is "water gel". It is a gel that slowly releases water. It is made out of vegetable oil. While it dissolves it releases water and leaves no residue. Pretty neat idea I thought. Do you want temporary vacation watering, or fully automatic watering because you sometimes forget to water?
    ...See More

What Religion is Your Bra???

Q

Comments (7)
    Uuhhh . . . a man here . . . and this thread's title was just too tempting. Coming from all of you it was just what I expected, clean and entertaining. Especially funny for me because people hardly ever say "dang" around here, and the last time I heard it was from a Mormon Elder. Need I say more?
    ...See More

As Requested/It Isn't Easy Being Green When You're Roberta's Bra

Q

Comments (5)
    I just found this, too. Very funny, and peculiar the way the bra goes from an undergarment to an outer one as it ages!
    ...See More

Altering bras?

Q

Comments (14)
    Ginger, I'm sitting at the keyboard right now. The underwire on my 34DD meets at the center of my sternum. The outer part of the underwire is in line with the beginning of my underarm. The under wire is very comfortably AROUND my breast. MY "issue" with bras is that they don't allow enough fabric to accomodate the actual roundness of my breasts... often, I have the dreaded "bulge" when I put my arms back... the underwire is fine but the amount of coverage in the front is too skimpy. My favorite bras are by Bali, they're all lace with an underwire. I'm a fit, toned 46 yr. old. And I HATE having to buy something designed for a fat, out of shape matron simply because my "size" dicatates that's the market segment most likely to buy the product. My reports as a wear tester have been directed to these points: NO ELASTIC STRAPS (I need support)! black, navy blue, colors other than WHITE, hooks on the band must reflect the burden of supporting the weight of the breasts... if it takes 3, OK, but don't put on 2 "for looks", thinking they'll be sufficient. Were you successful in your bra making? how did you address the very personal issues of fit and function? where did you find your supplies or did you work for a manufacturer? The bra is the equivilent of a jockstrap. Breasts should be considered "chesticles". And we need to tell manufacturers they aren't getting the job done! (sisterhood arise!)
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

Count me in as a no clasp bra lover! In fact, I think I was the one who recommended the Soma bras. They were game changing for me! I'd had enough of underwire "bites".

I do not remove downward over my bum and feet-- THAT would not be a pretty look and i am 97% confident it would be permanently stuck on my mid hip region.

I remove like Allison describes... or just a good tug from the bottom then up and over. The Soma material is much more elastic than your typical sports bra so i think that helps... but then it makes it less effective as a sports bra. It's not designed for mega support.. but it's plenty of support for me for normal activities.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Most of my older sports bras have a racer back and it wont work to try to pull the straps down rather than over your head without ripping. Dont think I haven't thought of that. I finally found supportive sports bras with fasteners, some in front and some in back, that made me smile.

• shopping101
    2 years ago

I love my Soma Enbliss bralettes! They are so comfortable. The hook bras always irritated my back.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

FWIW, I have several very soft cotton knit bralettes and pull them on & off over my head pretty easily. I'm a 34B.

• User
    2 years ago

All I wear are bras with no fasteners. Love them! I find them so much more comfortable than anything involving metal. There are even sports bras that don't give you uniboob now.

I used to be a runner (3-7 miles, 365 days a year), and am familiar with sweaty undergarments. 😁 There is indeed a technique as Allison explained above.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I wear the enbliss racer back as well as the tank style.. and remove them the same way. But again, they don't have the support that a running bra would so they are MUCH more elastic. I would never wear the Soma Enbliss to run.

I think they did add an adjustable enbliss style. I haven't looked recently-- but I believe I saw an email or a influencer video that mentioned them. I would very much like an adjustable version but they really do fit me fine without.

I don't have a major issue with my metal allergy on bra clasps-- but when the underwire breaks through, I DO get not only a "bite" but a bad rash from the metal.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

We can thank the pandemic for the proliferation of hookless bras - no one wanted to SAH with underwires and hooks! I bought a few and do like them but won't wear them out because I don't like how they shape me. Sports bras whether with or without hooks are a different animal to me and require a lot of support and smooshing for any of us 'endowed', However I would LOVE to find a hookless bra for every day out and about activities that offers some shaping/support and no uni-boob. Anyone have a suggestion?

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Yes, the dreaded uni-boob! That is why I don't wear the Soma Embliss bralettes when I go out shopping or dining.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I hate, absolutely hate, those bras! They do make your breasts look awful. They are torture getting on and off. I don't have a problem with hooks. There are some sport bra/sleep bra types with front hooks, which actually do give a bit of separation (I guess with the hooks between the breasts). I am so used to an underwire and really, you can find a comfortable one. Not saying it's easy (or cheap!). Remember even smaller breasts can sag; so finding a good bra is important.

• User
    2 years ago

My favorite non-uniboob sports bra came from Walmart of all places!

I found it pre-pandemic, while actually shopping in the store. I wish I'd bought more as I've never been able to find it again online. It's a Danskin Now, racerback style with the perfect amount of padding.

It's basically the perfect T shirt bra and sooooo comfortable. No show through, no uniboob. Bliss!

I have another older one from Hanes that looks great on, that I can't find again either.

I bought 2 from Title Nine which are also awesome. I'm swamped today or I'd look there myself to see if they still carry the ones I bought. The ones from there don't provide enough support to function as a sports bra, but they're a great kick around the house option.

I have no problem finding good sports bras that work as good sports bras - meaning, I care less about looks than function and they need to provide really solid support. There are tons of those options out there.

However I agree it's harder to find a good sports bra that functions well as a "regular" bra and doesn't give the uniboob look. They are indeed out there though as I have 4...

If the metal doesn't bother you, and you find regular bras sufficiently comfortable, then I'm not sure what the value of sports bras would be. But for someone like me who hates metal and finds most "regular" bras to be instruments of torture, sports bras are fabulous!!

• texanjana
    2 years ago

Because of a shoulder issue, I can now only wear sports bras that zip in front. So, any regular bra without hooks is a no go for me.

• hhireno
    2 years ago

I haven't tried them, but shefit has velcro adjusting bras. After my recent purchase of 8 (!!) new bras from Wacoal, I don’t need any more but those intrigue me.

eta: I don't have any luck with SML sizing, I need band and cup sizing. I haven’t looked at that site in months so I don’t remember how they size.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

Since I have been working from home throughout the pandemic, I've switched to wearing light weight racerback sports bras daily. I've actually been eyeing some of the bralettes that Aerie and a few others have to try out. My biggest complaint with most of the bralettes is the S/M/L sizing with no difference in cup sizes.

If the bra is more "normal" wear vs high impact, I usually don't have trouble getting it off over my head. But I do struggle getting off sweaty high impact sports bras. And beware ever trying on a size too small in a store. I was once nearly stuck in a too small high impact sports bra in a sporting goods store. Not really something you want to ask a retail associate for help with!

• Springroz
    2 years ago

Those things give me claustrophobia just thinking about them!! Try getting it on, or worse, OFF, when you are sweaty!!! I prefer front close underwires, please!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My favorite non-uniboob sports bra came from Walmart of all places!

I found it pre-pandemic, while actually shopping in the store. I wish I'd bought more as I've never been able to find it again online. It's a Danskin Now, racerback style with the perfect amount of padding.

Is it similar to this one? I bought one like it at Walmart, but not Danskin brand. It would be perfect if the shoulder straps were adjustable. 😕

• User
    2 years ago

It is very similar to that one Terriks, except the back of mine does indeed have adjustable straps.

• User
    2 years ago

bralettes like this and this are literally the only kind I wear anymore, have been for many years. I hate underwires, and back hooks dig in when I lean against seats. bralettes are not as tight or difficult to put on as sports bras.

I literally don't care about the mega lift or enhancement a real bra gives, thankfully my figure allows for it. also, I love them under tanks and sundresses. it basically just looks like I'm wearing another tank underneath (I hate going braless).

• Re Tired
    2 years ago

Outside Playing, I'd love to know the brand of those supportive support bras you found. Thanks.

• arkansas girl
    2 years ago

FWIW, taking off and putting on the bra from the feet and not over your head is not my idea. Back when the things came out and were for sale "as seen on TV" it was the company(genie bra, ahhhh bra) that instructed to pull them on from your feet and not over your head. I did as they instructed and found it to be so much easier to put on and take off.

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

Maybe that works if you don't have hips....

• 4kids4us
    2 years ago

@User thanks for the links. Both styles look right up my alley.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

I put them on by stepping into them and pull them up. I have generous hips and also ample on top. I figured out a way to shimmy the bra over the hips without givng myself a black eye. As hard as that is, I find it easier than trying to put it on and take it off from the upper portion and over the head. That, I never do. Too much trouble.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Patriceny - I wish that they still made that one. By reviews on Amazon a lot of women really liked that style.

Why do they have to stop making things that work well?!

• User
    2 years ago

SEA SEA I often do that because it prevents deodorant marks from getting all over the sides!

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

And that too Seattle!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I tried those bralette things. Nope, no way. These girls need support. I need lots of superstructure to make it work.

With the regular bras, I hook in front and spin to the back, then lift up the straps and bend over from the waist so the cups get filled properly and I adjust the band to the right position, then stand up. Then the girls are up where they belong.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Girls!!! i came upon a magazine article today about the right bra can make you look 10 lbs lighter. there are some good bras shown. Im going to try to find the article on line or at least post links to the bras shown. Tomorrow.!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Well, yeah, because when you are up where you belong, it gives you a more defined waist making you look slimmer...and younger.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

@Annie Deighnaugh that's it exactly and obviously you are well fitted because when you post 'which should I wear' pics your foundations (and clothing choices) flatter you. Sadly, getting well fitted now is next to impossible and not just due to covid times - there are few places with trained fitters anymore. That used to be the norm in any quality store. sigh..... But do you wear your superstructure bras all the time? Or do you have anything that is passible for casual errands? I'd love your suggestions if you have any.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Yes, Annie and I have mentioned that before as I have seen too many women look matronly and/or pudgy due to the wrong bra. I can't find the article online, but I'll come back and post the bra links in a bit. It is interesting and specific bras for specific breasts (ie east/west breasts). I think there was a bra similar to one liked above.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Here is a link to what looks like an older version of the article. older article

The bra that reminds me a bit of the one Terri shows is Third Love (Folliage Plunge Bra) ThirdLove..com

Annie is right about a defined waist, but there is more than just having your breasts "up where they belong". Different women have different problems. Armpit pudge, east-west breasts, back-fat (or wearing a bra that makes you look like you have back-fat/rolls), deflated chest, large/saggy bust. Any of those problems can make you look older, heavier, etc.

While searching for the article I read (First Magazine for Women), I came upon this article:

5 bra changes.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Go to Soma...they have professional fitters, you occupy a dressing room and they come and bring you bras galore to try on based on what they observe as to how the last one fit you.

Or you can fit yourself. Band should be tight enough to be parallel to the floor and stay there, not ride up in the back. Band should be loose enough so you can still breathe. Band should provide 90% of the support, the straps only manage the top of the cups. Cups should be large enough that the girls are fully encased and not bulging out, and not so large as to lead to any bagginess in the cup. When you look down in the center, the bridge -- the part between the cups -- should be close to the chest wall. If not, the cups are too small.

Most women wear poorly fit bras...most of those are band too big, cup too small.

Note that cup sizes change as band with changes. So the cup size of a 34D is the same as a 36C. So if you are wearing a 36C and need to go down a band size AND up a cup size you need to try on a 34DD.

Finally, if I think I like a bra, I always put my shirt on and look at it that way too as that's the only way you can really see the shape of the bra...some make me look like rockets, others make me bulge past my rib cage on the sides which is very matronly, some leave me too low and some are just right.

My new favorite bra is a bali passion for comfort underwire bra. I find it comfortable and shapely.

And for your other question, other than wearing a wire-free sports bra to the gym which is it's own superstructure, I wear my regular wired bra all the time, unless I'm in my most casual at home and going nowhere after supper. If your bras are well fitting enough, you won't feel the need to rip them off after a few hours.

• User
    2 years ago

Annie Deighnaugh, although I agree that a well engineered bra looks more slimming, but not everybody wants the lift. these days many women are changing the way they think about their bodies when it comes to feeling comfortable, and not feeling pressured to change the way they look. neither side is wrong. different strokes for different folx. in addition, some of the brands I've seen are aiming to be more unisex, for people who don't want to present as traditionally feminine (for example, TomboyX).

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Annie Deighnaugh i also like that bali bra. Soma most often does not fit me well. i like Wacoal, but many of their styles seem to have skimpy straps.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I used to wear bali bras exclusively (including the one Annie likes).. but i am done with the underwires breaking through. Done. I have switched to Soma -- not all are the no clasp style (though they are clearly my favorites!) -- i do have a few bras for when i wear a fitted top or dressier occasion but I have left Bali by the side of the road.

I am not large breasted -- I guess I'd say medium/average so i don't need body armor or any special support engineering. That gives me more options than some-- also, since mine are wider set, i don't really have an issue with uniboob.

We're all made differently-- there is no one bra/brand for all. I am just glad I found a brand that works for me!

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Really @Funkyart??? I can't say I have had that problem. Are the wires breaking when the bras are newer are after you have had/worn them for a while? I have a couple of the bras Annie mentioned and I believe one other style of Bali. I have some Warcol and a couple of off brands. I don't wear the same bra style all the time. Actually, I think an underwire is for more than just lift/support, such as shaping. I know small breasted women who wear underwire. I have a "friend" we shall say, I wish I could talk to her about her bra, but I would never dare. Her chest just kind of looks like a "roll" meaning her breasts are not very separated, shaped, etc. if that makes sense. she is not large busted but she is fairly slim and has some close fitting clothes that would look so much better with the right bra. But as Seattle mentioned, that may not matter to her.

@User I get what you are saying and you are right neither side is wrong. BUT, I don't feel like wearing well fitting, supportive undergarments are changing your looks. To me, it's just looking your best. I don't feel pressured to do so, it's just the way I am. I have always been a

"put your best foot forward" kind of person. I feel better overall when I do so. I'm more productive, more outgoing, etc.! Maybe I am just strange! Actually, it is the way I saw my grandmother live her life and I adored her. I know I do so many things the way I do because of her.

Yes we are all different, and different bras may work for each of us. I just hate it when I find a bra I like and then they discontinue it!!!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

I'm medium/average also, but nursing three chidlren for a total of 4 years.... U U :-/

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

For those who have trouble with underwires, but still want that kind of bra, I discovered mine were wide set, too, and that made those bras uncomfortable. Once I found a brand that solved for that issue, I had zero underwire issues. I wear a 36 B.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Allison0704 im sorry but i had to laugh!!!

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

hahaha @Allison0704! That and the ravages of time - oh well.

I don't have luck with Soma either. Haven't tried in several years but there also isn't one convenient to me now. I think certain brands fit certain body and breast shapes better than others. Wacoal is not for me. Olga has been my go-to brand for a long, long time although sometimes Bali, Vanity Fair or others work but a good fitting would be nice. Thanks for the self fitting suggestions @Annie Deighnaugh - that's helpful. I always put my top back on when trying on bras too - how else could you tell how it looks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I have a smaller rib cage and so I did have trouble with the soma underwires as they were too wide and poked me under the arm....I've tried both Vanity Fair and Bali and have not had issues with them in that regard. Soma told me they were getting narrower ones in but I never went back to find out.

Wacoal don't work for me as all their straps are too stretchy so rather than support, I bounce like mad just walking. It's most uncomfortable for me.

Of course we are all different shapes and sizes and we have different goals in why or why not wear a bra. I'm only sharing what works for me and my 34DDDs. My GF loves the pull on bralettes, but she's like an A cup and doesn't need much support...and that's still after nursing 3 babies way back. So we each go our own way.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

32D here and an avid runner so good support is a must when running, but i despise pull on bras. I also have never had luck with front close - they chafe. The best I have found for exercise are Lululemon Runtimes bras. They are non underwire but hook in the back. No chafing even through marathons.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Re Tired, my favorite running bra was the Moving Comfort Fiona bra. Sadly, Moving Comfort was bought by Brooks, which discomtinued that model, but they do have some similar bras that are very good. Many now have velcro straps that are adjustable and more comfortable than the traditional bra straps. I have a couple of bras similar to some of these.

Athleta and Title 9 have been hit or miss for me.

A quick check of A-zon shows the Fiona is still around but in limited sizes. You might be lucky.

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/high-impact-running-bras/

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Caroline Hamilton i like the look of that sports bra! @OutsidePlaying will have to check out the bras you mention also, as the velcro straps sound interesting.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I like many Lulu products, but havent tried their sports bras. They are likely next on my list to try when I replace mine. I’m a 36B. My daughter and grandaughter wear a lot of their stuff. DGD works there when she is home from college, so she gets the discounts. DD is a 36DD or E so she needs lots of support.

For regular bras, I am solidly in the Wacoal camp. I dont usually even have to try one on, but of course I do. Interesting, as Annie points out, how different we all are and the different brands that work for us, or not. I am tall, thin, and have broad shoulders and rather wide chest. Their underwire has never bothered me at all.

• hhireno
    2 years ago

terriks, alerting you that I sent you a (non-bra related) message through houzz.