SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salfin

Cautionary Tale: Do not order upholstery from Crate & Barrel Right Now

Yes, ladies and gents, even the pros sometimes order from retail outlets for personal use. I'm here to tell you my story so you don't suffer the same fate.

The supply chain and delivery woes are real. I ordered a sofa bed from C&B on May 11, 2021. The original ship date was supposed to be August. August came and went. Then it was mid-September. Then it was October. And now, it's projected to be early November. For those of you who are counting, that would be 5 1/2 months after placing the order. I spent over an hour communicating with their customer service team today and they either cannot (or more likely will not) tell me where in the manufacturing process my sofa is. I don't know if it's completed and sitting on a container ship somewhere off the coast waiting to be offloaded, or if it's still in production getting loaded onto a truck sometime in the next two weeks. Who knows? And if November comes and goes, I have no ability to cancel the order since it's a made-to-order piece.

C&B is not the only retailer having this issue, of course. But knowing how backed up they are, you'd think they would have had a mechanism in place to allow for cancellations. Apparently not.

My advice? Do not order custom upholstery from any of the big retailers until the current COVID-caused supply chain issues are resolved. Instead, either choose in-stock items or wait until we're past this mess. And if you're like me and have already placed an order that is nowhere to be seen, strap in because it might be awhile before you see anything.

Credit where it's due: they did refund the upcoming delivery charge for my trouble. Small consolation for waiting 22 weeks (fingers crossed).

Comments (18)