SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_mcclure26

Gardenia and Plumeria issues

Emily McClure
2 years ago

Hello all,

I'm not sure what's going on with these plants but I'm hoping someone can help! I bought my gardenia 3 months ago and it has been doing very well until quite recently. There are holes in the leaves (my gardening app diagnosed it as caterpillars, though I haven't found any yet) and also spots of white all over, which I'm thinking is either mineral deposits from watering or possibly powdery mildew (I've had issues with powdery mildew ever since I moved to Southern California, but so far this particular plant has seemed resistant). The other thing I just noticed today was that several leaves are curled up and very stiff. I have no idea what that could be.

I bought a Plumeria a couple weeks ago and although it's about 1.5' tall, it came in a tiny little pot (4" I believe) and didn't seem to have much of a root structure (1 pretty long root and just a few very short ones). I put it in an 8" pot to allow room for the long root and used a commercial succulent mix for the soil. It seemed to be doing well since then, with the exception of the plant not staying straight up (the soil is very lightweight and when the wind blows even a little the plant gets pushed to the side). I'm not sure what to do about this, but I pushed the soil down a little more to try to secure it and also sheltered it during periods of heavy wind. A few days ago I noticed the bottom leaf was yellow. The soil was quite dry so I assumed I had let it go a little too long without water and gave it a good drink. That was 2 days ago. Today the bottom leaf is still quite yellow, and now another one has a spot on it and is curled. The soil hadn't dried out since I watered it, and unfortunately it rained this morning so the soil is pretty wet. I also noticed some white residue on the woody part near the base of the leaves, which again, I'm afraid might be powdery mildew.

Any and all thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting