SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony_p57

Help needed in picking dual fuel running on LPG

Tony P
2 years ago

I’ve started picking my appliances for my kitchen remodel, and I’ve been a little concerned about the selection of the 36” range.

My neighborhood does not have natural gas available, but I personally prefer a gas cooktop. I’m willing to put in a liquid propane tank, which is allowed. I also prefer an electric oven, so it places me in the dual fuel market. My concern is I’ve read that gas burners can lose a bit of their rated BTU output once fired with LPG. It looks like Wolf does actually offer LPG versions of their ranges where the burners output the same BTUs as when on natural gas, but is this my only option? I do like Wolf stoves, and I’m looking for something that is in the same build category or better, with both 18,000 or better BTUs on the high end, but also with low power that will get me consistently and reliably down to 120-140 degrees for chocolate work and similar delicate cooking. My range of cooking is very broad - from sugar and chocolate work, to soups and stews, to crepes, to seared meats and wok work. These and everything in between.

In my old house I had a KitchenAid gas range that served me well for close to 20 years - even if it did have a gas oven. I have considered for this new house an electric with an induction top, but I’m not sure if I want to go that route. First, from what I’ve read these induction tops (whether standalone or part of a range) will probably not last as long as a dead simple gas top, so if it fails - could it even be replaced or do I wind up having to get a whole new range? Second, I sometimes do “tilt pan” cooking, where I’ll tilt the pan to get part of it off the contact surface for a short time, but still getting heated a bit. Seems like that would be impossible with an induction top, so it seems to be pointing me in the direction of dual fuel. Any help is appreciated.

Comments (3)