SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oliveshoot

Single bowl sink....how do you wash and rinse dishes without headache?

oliveshoot
2 years ago

I see in "kitchen must have" discussions a lot of people say a single bowl sink is a must have. Do they mean to have only a single sink in a kitchen, and not a second prep sink or literally a single bowl sink? I don't see how you can wash dishes easily in a single bowl sink. What do you do with the soapy dishes while waiting to rinse? Why wouldn't a sink with a divided bowl be ideal?

Comments (47)

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A divided bowl limits what you can wash in it. When I handwash I just soap up my item, rinse it and let it dry in my sink grid at the other end of the sink. If you really feel the need for your dishes to sit in soapy water while you wash it’s easy peasy to use a plastic dish pan that you can put away when you’re finshed with it. That gives you the best of both world, the ability to soak your dishes in soapy water without giving up the space you have for large items.

When I had a double sink I would have to soak a messy baking sheetwith one end sticking out and then turn it in the other direction to clean the other end. With a single bowl sink I just put detergent on the baking pan run water into it and wash.

I always had a double sink and was going to do the same when I renovated this kitchen but my daughter encouraged me to get the single sink. I’m so glad i did. I’m using the same type of single bowl sink in our new to us home that I’m renovating.

oliveshoot thanked Holly- Kay
  • Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

“I don't see how you can wash dishes easily in a single bowl sink.”

@oliveshoot - just to be clear, your question is for people who don’t have dishwashers, correct? I have a single bowl sink, but I don’t wash dishes because I put my dishes in the dishwasher. I don’t rinse the dishes, just scrape and then into the dishwasher they go.

I do not put pots and pans in the dishwasher, and my single-bowl sink makes it much easier to handwash them. They fit easily in the single-bowl sink, and I can soak them flat in there too. Additionaly, my single-bowl sink has an offset drain (not centered) which allows me to set pans in the sink to soak without covering the drain.

If I did not have a dishwasher, I might want a double-bowl sink, but only if the sink’s width could be 36” or more so that at least one of the sink’s bowls is big enough to wash pots and pans easily.

oliveshoot thanked Shannon_WI
  • Related Discussions

do you wash your dishes before you wash your dishes?

Q

Comments (20)
    One of the reasons to *not* rinse/prewash dishes is if you use an enzyme detergent it needs the food particles to work better. It'll etch glass and stuff if it doesn't have the food particles. I can't explain it well, but it's easy research for a more thorough explanation. Most just recommend scraping the dishes (and really, who wouldn't?!) then into the DW. I haven't had a dishwasher for more than 30 years but I'm starting to miss it. I would get grossed out though when it left stuff on it. When washing by hand and using a good soap it gets clean. Sure, you just put it back in and rewash but it still bugs me. It also bugs me to see people leave dirty dishes in the DW for a week before washing them. Argh! If it takes a week to fill it, you should have a smaller DW or use a top rack only feature. This is what impresses me about the F&P Dish Drawers. And geez, I can wash a few dishes FAR faster than an hour or two for a dishwasher! LOL And when you compare the time to load the dishwasher vs washing, it's pretty close. Time's not a factor. It's the hassle of washing them. I soak my dishes and a quick swish, rinse in HOT water and into the drainer to dry. Putting them away is comparable to time in a DW. Oh, and one thing I found out quickly, the way you load it makes a big difference. You have to learn how the water sprays and make sure it's not blocked for effective washing.
    ...See More

Hand-washing single-bowl converts, How's it goin' for ya?

Q

Comments (14)
    We're pre-reno so we handwash everything right now with a small single-bowl sink, but I imagine our system will stay roughly the same with the new bigger sink and d/w (except less washing, yay!) - Dirty dishes on counter to left of sink; drainer to right, and always out. I really don't mind having a dish drainer out---they make some teeny tiny fold-up ones now!---but with a bigger sink it would be easy enough to put it in there, too. - Sponge and brushes on little plastic tray-thingy sitting behind sink (but likely switching to an in-sink solution once we have a bigger sink---lots of handy ones out there). - To wash dishes, we wet a sponge and add a little soap; wash dish; place in bottom of sink and repeat until there are enough clean soapy dishes in sink to rinse. Rinse and put in drying rack. For a lot of dishes (dinner party, etc.) it's basically the same process, but with someone drying or with a towel laid out on clean counter to add extra drying space. Main disadvantage: Dirty dishes pile up on counter if no one's washed recently. (We tend to wash either just after dinner or before breakfast, so if we miss a day we end up with extra dishes.) Dishwasher and a bigger sink would probably solve this, though. Also recently saw a wall-mounted dish drainer from IKEA at some friends' home. Very awesome---just folds up flat against the wall when it's not in use. I'm going to explore this as a solution post-reno (although you would still need an area of counter underneath it that could take some drips).
    ...See More

Farmhouse sink owners...how do you do your dishes?

Q

Comments (37)
    I am in the same camp as @Chris Hunter because I don't know how I could operate with only one large bowl. I think there are several problems with these oft repeated blanket statements that a single large bowl is always better than a double bowl. 1. There are other options than everyone's stereotype of an equally divided double bowl with small sinks on both sides. There are 60/40 or 70/30 sinks. 2. There is the option of getting a low divide. 3. Not everyone has the luxury of having an additional prep sink. Everyone always discusses nothing more than how to wash and where to dry. This is not the only use for a sink. How does one accomplish soaking a dirty pot, draining a pot of pasta, having some water to wipe down a stovetop, washing grimy produce, rinsing fish filets, and washing hands all at the same time with only a one bowl sink and one drain?
    ...See More

Single bowl sink owners, how big is yours and does it work for you?

Q

Comments (25)
    Wow! Thanks for the update. I was wondering. So the addition is really hap-pen-ing....I'm so excited for you!!! Ainelane asked me about the ledge. I use the basket like a drying rack for my knives, favorite coffee mug, etc... Oh and my wine glasses. :-) I use it for rinsing veggies too. Some people prefer to leave the basket out. Still plenty room for washing big pots and pans, so rarely do I need to remove it. It is nice to have that option though.
    ...See More
  • vinmarks
    2 years ago

I guess it depends on how one washes dishes. Many items go into the dishwasher. We do have items which we do not put in the dishwasher. We clean as we go along so we never really have a sink full of cookware/dishes. I rarely have anything that needs to sit and soak. On occasion where there is a pan that needs soaking I just push it to one side of the sink and add soap and water to it and let sit. I swivel the faucet to other side of sink and wash other items. We have a grid on the bottom of our sink so the drain is not blocked.

We had a double bowl sink at our previous house. It was a Blanco Wave 1 3/4. We barely ever used the smaller side. I currently have 32 inch single bowl Kraus and love it. We do have a prep sink as well.

oliveshoot thanked vinmarks
  • PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

dishes to wash >>> dishwasher.

handwash > soap & wipe > rinse & dry.

oliveshoot thanked MDLN
  • kculbers
    2 years ago

I have a sinle bowl sink and love it! When I want to handwash certain items, I use a rectangle washing basin for the soapy water.

oliveshoot thanked kculbers
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

My sink replacement customers overwhelmingly choose a single bowl sink. I'm certain if they hadn't figured out how to use it, I would have heard of it by now.

oliveshoot thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • MizLizzie
    2 years ago

I was SO glad when I made the switch to single. In planning the switch, I bought these: PrepWorks collapsable drainer and dishpan under the sink. They take up less than 3” of space and are wonderful. But I almost never use them. To save energy, I put everything possible into the DW, including pots. But not pans or unenamled cast iron. And to hand wash those, I want a single bowl sink.

oliveshoot thanked MizLizzie
  • herbflavor
    2 years ago

most people use a dishwasher. sinks full of soapy water isn't done so much anymore. hand wash selected items in plastic basin or a smaller amt of water/can use sprayer to rinse and dry/put away. I like the drying mats they have now...but a couple good drying towels makes the dry off quick and the things go in the cupboard. [ pots that dishwasher wont take/some baking dishes/ wood utensils etc]

oliveshoot thanked herbflavor
  • Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

In two houses I had a double bowl. Then I built house w/a kitchen with a single bowl. Sadly I had to sell the house/kitchen and move to another house with a sad double bowl. I'm now in a rental with a double bowl while I'm building a new house with a single bowl - yay! 

I use my dishwasher for all item that can be washed. I rarely soak dishes for washing. I put a dry rack on one side of my single bowl which keeps the other side available for dishes waiting for wash or dishwasher.

oliveshoot thanked Jen K (7b, 8a)
  • Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

I had a single bowl sink in my last kitchen and will have one again when the reno is complete. I wash as I go and NEVER use a dish pan. I am adding a motion sensing faucet simply to save water because I am washing dishes constantly and guilty of letting the water run.

Putting dishes in a pan of water that has already had anything else in it is beyond gross. It is like taking a bath in someone else's bathwater.....

oliveshoot thanked Sherry Brighton
  • rwiegand
    2 years ago

I put hot soapy water into the largest thing I need to wash, use that to dunk and wash all the smaller items, rinsing as I go. Finish by washing your "wash basin". Or a dab of soap on the sponge and wash, rinsing as you go without a vessel to hold things. Both ways work fine.

oliveshoot thanked rwiegand
  • badabing2
    2 years ago

They do sell sink dividers. Search on "sink divider insert" - and silicone one in. For example...

https://www.kitchenrestock.com/krowne-c-19b-silver-series-divider-stainless-steel.html

oliveshoot thanked badabing2
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

Everything that Shannon_WI said. I have a small kitchen and my 28" single bowl with offset drain is capable of handling every bit of washing that I need to do - refrig shelves and vegetable bins included. I only hand wash knives, pots and pans - will hand wash a plate or such only if I am washing those other things. I keep the sink scrubbed, and use the soap/scrub everything, then rinse everything method.

oliveshoot thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Verbo
    2 years ago

Use your DW. That's why you buy one. Get rid of anything too precious to go in the DW, minus a cast iron skillet and a few knives. Life is too short to handwash mountains. There simply is no need to buy modern conveniences and then do their work for them.

oliveshoot thanked Verbo
  • julieste
    2 years ago

My question isn't exactly the same as the OP's but close.

I want to know when you only have this one single bowl sink (and no prep sink) in your kitchen how you use this one bowl for dish/pot washing at the same time need a sink for washing dirty produce or rinsing fish or thawing something frozen that is likely to leak.

oliveshoot thanked julieste
  • M Miller
    2 years ago

@julieste - 99% of the time I handwash pots after the meal, and rinse produce and fish before the meal, so the two types of uses do not intersect. My 1-bowl sink is also big enough that if there is a pot soaking in the sink, I can still rinse things under the faucet, or have a colander in the sink at the same time as soaking the pot or pan.

oliveshoot thanked M Miller
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

^^^ agree on both points. I do all food prep first, then the pot scrubbing as I go or when done cooking. I have a narrow colander basket that spans (front to back) the sink that I use if I have a need to. If I were "thawing something likely to leak" I would set it in a tray or bowl and not necessarily in the sink (If I anticipated needing to use the sink while it thawed.) I wasn't raised with a prep sink and have never found the need for one.

oliveshoot thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • julieste
    2 years ago

I think perhaps I am not so organized as many of you. I often start something that needs to cook for a longer time (maybe something that I would use a frying pan to brown before transferring to a pot). Then, I would be in the situation of trying to clean up the frying pan and accompanying mess at the same time I would be trying to wash and prep some other items.

Thanks.

• M Miller
    2 years ago

@julieste - not trying to be challenging, but to be clear, you brown something in a pan before going into a pot (I too do this on several recipes), then you wash the fry pan, and then you prep and cook the rest of the meal? I am not as neat as you, because I wait to wash the pan until I am washing the rest of the pots and pans. But regardless, if I did wash the fry pan first, I would still have room in my 30" wide single-bowl sink to soak that pan, and wash or rinse vegetables and fish without anything touching or intersecting. (you'd have to be an octopus to be washing the fry pan and washing vegetables at the same time)

I wonder if you are so accustomed to the small size of the bowls of a double-bowl sink that you are having trouble envisioning the expanse of sink floor provided by a large single bowl sink with corner drain. Oft-repeated advice on this forum is to go to a showroom where they have sinks on display, bring a couple pots and pans with you, and pretend to wash them. You will more easily understand I think how it could work. But a lot does depend on the size of the sink and having an offset drain.

oliveshoot thanked M Miller
  • theresa21
    2 years ago

@julieste in a single bowl sink, you might fill your fry pan with sudsy water to soak on one side of the sink, while you wash veggies (for instance) in the other side of the sink, maybe in a colander, a bowl or just by holding the item in your hand. The dirty water in the fry pan is not going to get on your produce if you keep the two tasks separate in the sink. Drain plugs are rarely engaged in single bowl sinks.

oliveshoot thanked theresa21
  • User
    2 years ago

I have a little basin for hand washing small delicate items. The singke bowl makes cleaning up large pans mess free. I recently went from double bowl to single and love it

oliveshoot thanked User
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

I put dirty dishes and utensils in the dishwasher as I go. Larger pieces/cutting boards may get washed, dried and put away, or stacked next to the sink if I can’t get them cleaned right away. I have a dish pan and a dish drainer that I can pull out if necessary. Dirty produce gets washed as soon as it comes in from the garden. I rarely have to soak anything, and just set it in the sink with water in it after everything else has been put away. I use as much water as I need to while cleaning up, and make sure to run some hot water down the drain for a bit so nothing clogs the pipes leading out to the septic. I try to use the garbage disposal as little as possible since then you have to really run a lot of water.

oliveshoot thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • K Laurence
    2 years ago

Both of my homes have single bowl sinks. i hate them, miss my divided sink. i use , as someone suggested, a plastic basin that fits inside. There are many items i hand wash , I really don’t know why single basins became popular.

oliveshoot thanked K Laurence
  • cheri127
    2 years ago

We have a dedicated steel bowl for soapy water with which we handwash pots, knives and other stuff we don't put in the dishwasher. I'm in the camp of not putting dirty items into a clean basin of soapy water.

oliveshoot thanked cheri127
  • Tom S
    2 years ago

I had to think a bit before responding because I grew up in houses that only had single bowl sinks, and when I think about it, I've always only had a single bowl sink. And washing dishes was never an issue.

It helps to have a dishwasher, of course. For the dishes or pots and pans we washed by hand, you just simply wash directly under the faucet with running water and adding soap as needed and scrubbing/rinsing off the soap. I'm sure it's not the most efficient use of water but it's quick and efficient. And then you dry in a dishrack, or absent one, on a towel next to the sink. Even without a dishwasher in those grotty rentals of my 20s I never had problems quickly washing dishes using this method. The only time I've ever had some kind of basin for soapy water was when I had a big dinner party and seemingly thousands of knives and forks, I'd dump them in a big pot and run hot water on them to get the wash going.

I now have a dual drawer dishwasher which I love because I can use one of the drawers as a drying rack for the few bits I hand wash without having to clutter the top of the counter next to the sink.

oliveshoot thanked Tom S
  • julieste
    2 years ago

I'm the one upthread who was asking about how people manage to prep and wash dishes at the same time in a single bowl sink. I couldn't be convinced. I just ordered this Kohler 33" sink that has a main bowl large enough to lay a 1/2 sheet pan flat, and I'll have another basin to use for other things. I guess I still can't understand why people need a huge 30" or larger sink. I guess I must be both old and old school since I am getting both a cast iron and a divided sink.

Kohler Iron/Tones Top/Under-Mount Double-Bowl Kitchen Sink, 33"x18-3/4"x9.63", White · More Info

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

"this Kohler 33" sink that has a main bowl large enough to lay a 1/2 sheet pan flat"

@julieste - people should get what they want for their kitchens, like you are doing. The OP and you asked questions and were given explanations to help in this decision. I never understand why this topic - repeated a zillion times on this forum - gets people worked up.

The only thing I would question about your decision is that a 33" sink would have a side big enough for a 1/2 sheet pan to lie flat. I looked at the specs, but could not see what the bowl's interior dimensions are. Just from what I could see, I don't think it does. Just giving you a heads up.

oliveshoot thanked Shannon_WI
  • julieste
    2 years ago

@Shannon_WI

I too have a problem with manufacturers not giving the actual smallest interior dimensions of sinks because we all know that many sinks have sides that slope inwards. I actually took a half sheet pan to the store with me. It does fit flat. Thanks for the heads up though.

• darbuka
    2 years ago

Every time I see this topic come up, it totally befuddles me. Why on earth…in the 21st Century, where we have highly efficient dishwashers, does anyone feel the need to fill up a sink with sudsy water, in order to soak and wash dishes and pots? Or, even fill a dishpan?

As others have stated, all dishes get scraped, and put directly into the dishwasher. No rinsing. All eating utensils, and stainless mixing spoons, and other prep tools (not wood), also go into the dishwasher. Mixing bowls…dishwasher.

Should anything need soaking, say a pot or pan, I drop a bit of soap inside the item, and add hot water. Good knives might soak in that pot. No need to fill up the sink. The pot is off to one side. So any rinsing of produce can be done, without hindrance.

I had a double sink for one period in my long life, and hated it. I like being able to clean a full baking/sheet pan, lying flat in the sink. The double sink could not accommodate my largest pot, or the lobster pot, without tilting. That’s just not an issue in my 30” single bowl. Anything, and everything can be washed flat, without a divider encroaching on the space.

oliveshoot thanked darbuka
  • User
    2 years ago

“Every time I see this topic come up, it totally befuddles me. Why on earth…in the 21st Century, where we have highly efficient dishwashers, does anyone feel the need to fill up a sink with sudsy water, in order to soak and wash dishes and pots? Or, even fill a dishpan?”

My cast iron and stoneware don’t go in a dishwasher. My knives do not go in the dishwasher. I don’t like putting my food processor parts in the dishwasher due to scratching. No plastic lids to my food storage containers, my stainless canteens and water bottles that we use for school and work and outdoor activities say hand wash. Unfortunately, hand washing is the price you pay at times to keep things nice.

That being said, I spent 42 yrs using a double sink, and just renovated and put in a single sink and use a small basin to hold the soapy water for items that need soap and I will never ever go back to double. I have a drying mat that spans across one end. Although, I am thing of forgoing the basin all together and just using a wand. Anyone else just use a wand?

oliveshoot thanked User
  • julieste
    2 years ago

Well, it drives me nuts when everyone only thinks about their old, small, equal bowl double sinks when they talk about the glories of single bowl sinks. This is always the problem with making generalizations. There are larger sinks with two bowls where one can put a sheet pan flat.

As I said above, "I just ordered this Kohler 33" sink that has a main bowl large enough to lay a 1/2 sheet pan flat, and I'll have another basin to use for other things."

• darbuka
    2 years ago

@User…well, it appears you didn't read past my first paragraph, otherwise you’d’ve seen…I discuss pots and pans, good knives, etc.

We have several cast iron pans, all different sizes. Of course those get hand washed…after the meal has been consumed. Until then, they remain on the rangetop. Btw, cast iron pans should NEVER be soaked...that will create rust. Nor should they be hard scrubbed, lest you remove the seasoning.

As for @julieste, FYI, my previous double bowl sink was 1/3-2/3 in a 27” sink. Not, an equal basin. It was you making generizations, not I. Also, I never said double basin, dish soaking people “drive me nuts.” What I said was, I get befuddled when the topic comes up. Google will help you decifer what ”befuddled” means. Additionally, what’s the big deal about being able to lay a 1/2 sheet pan flat? The challenge is to lay a full cookie/sheet pan flat in the sink. That you will never do in a 33” split sink.

• User
    2 years ago

I guess the point is everyone has a different way of doing things and different methods they prefer and there is no need to insult anyone whose preference or needs are different or to insult someone by implying they don’t understand your vocabulary.

oliveshoot thanked User
  • darbuka
    2 years ago

I still say you didn’t read my entire post, or you wouldn’t have written what you did. And, when a person puts a meaning to a word or thought of mine which is incorrect, and responds in a snarky manner, well…

Fact is, the OP asked several questions, and I gave my answers. Why all you double bowl soaker folks had to get so defensive, is puzzling. Hey, it makes no never mind to me what you do. All I did was respond to the OP…who I’ve noticed hasn’t returned to her thread.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    2 years ago

heavy sigh.😒

oliveshoot thanked RCKsinks Inc.
  • User
    2 years ago

Lol. I don’t have a double bowl sink. I just thought you were rude

• Port of Indecision
    2 years ago

I think my dream sink is a low divide with high legged grates that turn over so that it can function as a single sink for the rare occasions when I need to soak a full sheet pan, but I have a little splash protection for drying daily. I hold things and wash them, I don't use the bottom of the sink (short woman problems), so raising that up 4-5" over the divide sounds just right to me.

oliveshoot thanked Port of Indecision
  • chispa
    2 years ago

Juliest, I had to laugh at this comment of yours:

"I guess I still can't understand why people need a huge 30" or larger sink."

Yet you ordered a 33" sink, which is larger! You still got a larger sink than the 30" single bowl people, doesn't matter that you chose the one that is divided! 😄

• chispa
    2 years ago

Another important measurement with sinks is the front to back distance and the height. I chose sinks that are 18" front to back and 10" high. Many of the "workstation" sinks were barely 16" front to back, which I felt was too narrow.

oliveshoot thanked chispa
  • oliveshoot
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for your opinions. Your thoughts have opened my eyes to new possibilities.

• julieste
    2 years ago

@chispa

Yup, you caught me in my unclear statement!

I should have worded it differently. I guess what I don't understand is the need for a large, single bowl 30" sink. When that space is divided into two different compartments (individual sink bowls), it performs completely differently. That's the opinion of a "need two bowls" sink person. Obviously, YMMV.

• TXGuy
    2 years ago

I know I'm late to the party, but I had double bowl sinks (both 1/3-2/3 and 1/2-1/2 divides) for ~30 years, and was very hesitant to move to a single bowl when I built my current house. After a brief adaptation period, I love it and wouldn't think of going back. I have about 32" now, and am hoping to go nearly double that size in my new house. I find it very flexible, and it allows plenty of space to leave something soaking and then still have room to clean vegetables or whatever.

oliveshoot thanked TXGuy
  • Howard Jow
    2 years ago

We keep a bottom dish rack from a previous dish washer on top of a drying mat for all hand wash items or dishes not dry after a cycle and leaving the dishwasher open for a few hours.  We used to have a double sink for the first ten years we lived together in our home.  We don't miss it at all.  If we prep something with meat or fish, we make sure we wash the sink afterwards.  We have a Blanco single sink.

oliveshoot thanked Howard Jow
  • Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

@graywings123, yes I was taught to do dishes like that when I lived at home. When I moved out on my own in 1970 something I never did it again because it always skieved me out. It was one of those things I could do in my own home, like turn the heat up so my hands didn't turn white with cold.

I also realize I am a fanatic about dishes being done immediately after using. There is never dishes in, or next to the sink. Any kid who left dishes unwashed or not put in the dishwasher ended up with them in their bed. I usually transfer meals into the serving bowls and wash the pots and pans before serving the meal.

I am cooking in the basement and using my utility sink during this reno and I am still washing everything as I use it and not using a dishpan.

oliveshoot thanked Sherry Brighton
  • PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    2 years ago

https://youtu.be/BvZZgtFuBAc

"to each their own" ( :

oliveshoot thanked RCKsinks Inc.