SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richardj_mcneil

Anyone grow Pandanus?

Jurassic Park
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Pandanus used to be one of my very favorite houseplants, now they have just about disappeared from the trade. Why? It's been a few decades, but they used to be available in such gorgeous, creamy white or yellow variegations. The species that used to be available was Pandanus veitchii variegata.

They were EASY indoors, BUT, they did, eventually, get BIG and took up space. They are also barbed with three rows of spines and can cause minor dermatitis if you rubbed up against them. They all develop stilt roots and will lift themselves out of their containers, and freely pup (so you could give them away to friends). Well they are impossible to find now. The one in my photo is one I currently grow and was ordered online last year. It's Pandanus amarylilifolius (aka., Pandan plant), it's spineless. it's the only Pandanus with a culinary use. Leaves are used to flavor rice in SE Asia, Pandanus is endemic to SE Asia and Polynesia. It seems that the spineless species are the only ones remotely available. I just ordered P. baptisii online, it's spineless, a relative dwarf, but is variegated nicely. Anyone grow these plants? Anyone know any source in the US for Pandanus veitchii variegata. I have real nostalgia for this species.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company