SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethjdunbar

family room fiasco!!

elizabethjdunbar
2 years ago

Hi all, I need some advice regarding a family room makeover. We are very lucky to have a walk out basement with a huge family room and adjacent living quarters for my elderly parents who just moved in (separate small kitchen/living area plus bedroom & bathrooms). It’s great to be a 3 generation household, but we have to share the big family room for multiple purposes—movie room, game room, craft room, etc. At the moment, the room is a hodgepodge of old furniture & utilitarian craft tables & storage. Since we will be spending much more time in here during the winter months, I’m hoping to give it a makeover. The room consists of a carpeted sunken family room with a wall of windows, brick fireplace, and wall of diagonal paneling (c.1985!). We use this room primarily for watching movies & sports on the projection screen, and sometimes games (thus the game table & air hockey table). The upper area of the room is the sewing/craft area that grandma uses all the time. We are planning on removing the existing cabinetry & random storage pieces in that area and replacing them with floor to ceiling storage cabinets (then everything can be neatly stored away). My biggest issue is figuring out furniture arrangement in the sunken area—right now our old sectional faces away from the fireplace, which I hate. But other than hanging the projection screen from the ceiling somewhere else in the room, I don’t have a good alternative (especially with a wall of windows). I’d be willing to replace some furniture, change flooring, even remove the paneling! Anything to make this room more attractive, organized, and functional. Thoughts? Ideas? I’d appreciate it!

Comments (21)