SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_ehm

Unusual kitchen range vent situation

Amanda Ehm
2 years ago

Hi all, I have purchased a home with an unusual DIY kitchen island range vent set-up, and am looking for guidance about possibilities for updating the system. There is existing ducting (under subfloor) out to an exterior NuTone blower, probably installed when the house was built in early 1980s. The ducting leads to a vent cover (looks like a regular heat register cover used on the floor), which is situated on a vertical surface of the island, just above the range and on the backside of the breakfast bar. No metal mesh filter, just a vent cover. Odd, right? Doesn't look like the system has been used very much over the years, probably because it is not very effective. Blower seems to work just fine.
I'm wondering what my options are to create a useable ventilation system for the range - e.g., can I use the existing ducting and NuTone blower and install a pop-up downdraft vent at the top of the breakfast bar facing the range (or replace the range once it dies with a range with a built-in downdraft like the KitchenAid one), will I need to get a new blower to work with modern downdraft vents, or is there another option that I haven't considered?
Ceiling mounted island venting is not an option, so looking specifically for downdraft venting advice.
Thanks for your help!

Comments (13)