SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_lent

Kitchen dilemma: refrigerator placement

B L
2 years ago

We are remodeling our 1980's split-level kitchen. We paid an experienced kitchen designer to come up with the design, which we are mostly very happy with given the limitations of the space. We are getting ready to order the cabinets but can't get past one part of the design that both me and my SO are just not 100% comfortable with.
The current space is a small kitchen and "eat-in" dining room located at the front of our house. The plan merges those two spaces into one big kitchen with an island. We have two big windows in the "eat-in" part. The design has the refrigerator going right between the two windows and adds benches below the windows to help integrate the space.
I've attached a picture of the eat-in space (as it was when we bought the house) and drawings of the design. So, my questions are:
Does this look nuts? Should we skip the refrigerator cabinet and have the cabinet on the right stop at the top of the windows? Should I brick up the bottom half of the windows and add cabinets (what my SO is suggesting)? Would some sconces above the windows fix it? Please help. We need to get the cabinet order in within a week to start construction on time and can't until we figure this out.
Thank you in advance!

Comments (25)