SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_422804435

Mid-Century Kitchen Help... Please

Sam Pendleton
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A bit of background. Our house was built in 1956. Tongue and grove ceiling, wood flooring (except in the kitchen), lots of natural light (again except the kitchen). You get the idea.

We are piecing together a kitchen renovation as we can afford it. So please bare with me, our house has never been updated and is by no means beautiful. Yet anyway. Eventually we'll replace the flooring and baseboard. We are keeping the cabinets, they're original so we'd like to preserve them. They will however be refinished as they are pretty discolored (you can clearly see in the photos), and the hardware will be replaced. But for now, we're focusing on the counters and backsplash.

I'm thinking flat 3x6 ceramic subway tile in a herringbone pattern. I can't decide between white and almond colored tile. And I'm not sure whether to do a matching grout, or a darker grout considering how "busy" the counters are. Any advice would be welcome. Photos to demonstrate where we started and current design choices.

Edited to say: my feed's pictures are very blurry. They focus better if you click on them.

Comments (57)

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Use 4.25" Daltile squares similar to what was there before.

• partim
    2 years ago

Love the original drawer hardware. If you can figure out the metal and clean them up they'd be the jewellery in your kitchen.

• Related Discussions

Mid Century Modern open floor plan...design ideas? Please help me!!!!!

Q

Comments (6)
    This is my living room....11ft wide by 19ft long (from the stairwell.) We are struggling to find a furniture plan that will work with this long and open living room. The picture is taken from the front door entry. On the left wall (which you cannot see) is a large living room window 4'x8'. We are hoping to have a built-in constructed wall to wall on the far end of the living room. Cabinets on the bottom, shelving on the top, and an opening for our media. We need the storage for our young family of five. Around the stairwell to the right is an open doorway to the kitchen. On the far back right is the dining room--which is open to the kitchen. Right now we have a very small sofa (~50") floating at the closer end of the room. Two chairs are to the left under the window. It works but it feels like a waiting room! I'd like to have a console table on the narrow wall to the right (between the opening to the dining room and walkway to the kitchen.) I'd like to have this room sit 4-5 people as we're planning on finishing the basement to represent more of a lounge space for the family.
    ...See More

Mid Century Modern Kitchen Reno Ideas - Help with cabinet color

Q

Comments (20)
    I love the look of your kitchen, especially the brick wall. (I'd streamline the decor on those shelves and probably look for a vintage metal art piece or sunburst clock for that wall.) My main advice though has to do with the flooring. Slate looks great but I wouldn't replace wood or vinyl for it. Stone and tile are terribly hard on the joints. I really regret my tile kitchen floors. YMMV but thought I'd mention it. Hope you'll post your changes. It's going to look great!
    ...See More

Please help identify this Mid-Century Modern tambour cabinet

Q

Comments (5)
    This is only a possibility - This link below to Ebay shows "A danish modern Kurt Ostervig tambour door teak wood dry bar" A danish modern Kurt Ostervig tambour door teak wood dry bar This link shows several Danish mid century modern pieces with tambour doors - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_osacat=0&_sop=12&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_odkw=DANISH+MID+CENTURY+MODERN+LONG+LOVIG+TAMBOUR+DOOR+SIDEBOARD+BUFFET+CREDENZA You may contact the sellers of some of these pieces to see if they know who made yours. It's a long shot, but just maybe....
    ...See More

Mid Century Modern Interior Paint -- Help Please Thanks

Q

Comments (5)
    Your house is fantastic! please post ”after” pictures. You’re right—the white makes the (beautiful) terazzo look dingy. Swiss Coffee is usually a safe bet, but have you tried samples on the actual walls? That’s a must. Also, not sure theres enough contrast with Aged Beige to make it worth doing trim in another color. You might do all vertical services in Swiss Coffeee and then maybe a darker accent color, maybe a chocolate or terra cotta pulled from the terazzo, for the screens?
    ...See More
  • Suki Mom
    2 years ago

Definitely 4"ish square shiny tiles. That is what was in our 1954 built rambler on the bathroom walls when I was a kid. Counter and tall backsplash were red laminate with metal edges.

Keep the hardware. If it remains worn looking after cleaning or polishing, it is well earned PATINA!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

If you like the floor's neutral same room with counter -- help if samples were placed on the floor, and lights on! ?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Idk. I thought initially of desert gray or suede gray, and then you said 'little sunlight'. So, in Almond might have smidgeon of warming yellow-beige...?

Most would advise to finish cabinets I think, then move to tiling.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

How 'permanent' are the house's colors that are currently in the hall?

Have you experimented with colors? it doesn't hurt.

Illusions 6208 Blue/Coral Elements Rug, 3'3"x4'11" · More Info

• Sam Pendleton thanked palimpsest
  • Sam Pendleton
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Keeping the hall design. It's a wall half wall, and the entry. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like the visual interest. Haven't thought of colors! I don't like "busy"...... Says the woman with a pretty over-the-top entry. Irony. But the rest of the house (kitchen, dinning, living) are the kinda dark oatmeal above the door.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Can't help if photos inspire me, and this longer/wider counter had me think whether yours could be wider.... does house have another way into the hall? probably not but checking. Here's a similar room to yours.

Modern Nostalgia · More Info

• aelem
    2 years ago

I too have a mid-century modern house of that year. My thoughts: 1. Do you really need a backsplash? 2. If yes, then no to subway tiles and no to herringbone pattern. 3. Keep and clean the original hardware. 4. Investigate improving kitchen lighting - it will make a big difference 5. Fun entryway - I would echo the colors throughout the house in accessories - change colors for the seasons. Best of luck.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Love your hardware. They will clean up well with Brasso and careful, thoughtful polishing. You might try stripping them, first, to get off all the gunk. Then Brasso, Don’t spray paint them. You have a few knobs missing and at least one backplate. Check with House of Antique Hardware. They have lots of vintage and reproduction hardware and are wonderful to work with.

Sam Pendleton thanked ptreckel
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

I'm half joking - the look of the accent wall should/could be your backsplash ! ;)

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

I would not do herringbone tile in here. Even though you don't want to replicate the era, herringbone seems way too far off. 4" squares in a grid pattern are very popular these days as are (2x8'?) in a grid. Not my thing but I think it would look good here.

• Marci
    2 years ago

4" square tiles to stay consistent with the mid-century vibe. No subway tiles.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I have a 1956 MCM ranch but IMO the cabinets are horrible for storage and honestly IMO kitchens and bathrooms need to be brought into the 21 st century . Kitchen design has come so far and so much more user friendly I would really not waste money on those cabinets when you could do a new kitchen that actully functions 10 x better and please no herringbone in a MCM kitchen . Simplicity is the key work in MCM design . I do love the wall in the entry but it needs balance somewhere nearby .That wall color is not working IMO. This is my kitchen and LR if that helps a bit with ideas .We actully switchen the original kitchen and dining room because I want a bigger kitchen plust the fact I love the huge window in there. I think the most glaring issue with 1956 cabinets is the lack of drawers for base cabinets and IMO a huge must in this century .

Sam Pendleton thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sam Pendleton
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Patricia, Thank you for your input. I was hoping a "pro" would chime in. There is another wall of cabinets not pictured where the fridge and microwave are stored that gives additional storage. But, you're right, very few drawers. Regardless, I can't afford new cabinetry at this point. So the cabinets are staying, at least for now. I also enjoy the wall color, but once everything is in place, I might change it. Maybe a simple white. Definitely not opposed to that.

Regardless, I think I've decided against herringbone. I agree it needs to be simple. I'm leaning toward vertical stacked (to give the space some height since it is enclosed), or basketweave as a nod to the 4x4 common in the era without being too literal. I also don't enjoy that 4x4 tile. Plus, I just removed it, I don't want to put it back up. What I'm really torn about is tile color.

And I think we've all decided we're keeping the original hardware. Just giving a good cleaning.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

Patricia makes goodpoints. And because the house "has never had improvements" you will have plenty to do [lots of possibilities] ....we can't know all the areas that may actually be distressed or screaming out. I think the new counters and backsplash and spiffying up [ clean mostly] the cabinets could be a good end goal for now. I think I would leave the floor/ leave the appliances and proceed w the other tasks on your property. I think I would be inclined to want to do the few requsite things to this kitchen to enjoy it for another stretch of time ...knowing a full reno will come into focus but in the future. I think you're good.

Sam Pendleton thanked herbflavor
  • MizLizzie
    2 years ago

What an amazing kitchen! What about a 4x4 checkerboard in urban putty and biscuit ? But I don’t know if that would be true to the mid-mod period?

Good luck. Can’t wait to see the final product.

Sam Pendleton thanked MizLizzie
  • Sam Pendleton
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you MizLizzie! I'll update everyone, you've all been so helpful. I like biscuit too, you've helped overrule my husband.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

On my computer, the almond does not work with the counter. Biscuit and Arctic White are better.

A pale color related to the blue-green on the entry wall would be nice, also.

I have seen a few houses of that era that had copper backsplash tiles - I've not seen those in a big box store, but I am sure that they are available - and the stainless steel versions might work, especially if you replace the handles & knobs with SS or nickel.

I am all for respecting the design bones of a house, but if a particular design element is ugly to me (or not optimal for function), I have no qualms about replacing it with something I like that is also compatible with the spirit of the original design.

I am surprised the counter went in before the cabs were refinished. Are you going to take the cabs back to a natural finish, or replicate the color that they were?

• timeless3703
    2 years ago

My advice since you put in the kitchen countertop before you painted the cabinets before you go in any further with this project I don't know what your budget is but I would call in a designer. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is thinking that they have an eye for designing and they don't. So get help get advice set a budget and move forward. Whenever you try to join two people's ideas together doesn't always come out well that's why I desire will help you out a lot. Good luck

• badgergal
    2 years ago

I bought the dresser below at a resale store. The hardware on the right is how it all looked when I bought it. The hardware on the left is how it looks now after I cleaned it by boiling the hardware for a couple minutes in a white vinegar and water solution ( 1 cup each). After boiling it, I removed the hardware and buffed it with #0000 steelwool. Easy Peasy. No chemicals needed.

If you havent already cleaned your knobs you might want to try this method

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

please, no 3x6 white subway tiles. that was never "mcm". there are much better options.

if you want plain and white, do the finger tiles and a simple white quartz countertop

or better yet, do something like this geo design.

please, no 3x6 white subways!

BTW, your orig hardware is brass and it tarnishes. I've polished many of these

take some fine steel wood (000 or 0000) and some liquid BarKeepers friend, squirt it on the steel wool and use some elbow grease. they will shine up like a new penny!

• awm03
    2 years ago

2x2 tile would be period appropriate, and I don't think it's too pricey as far as tile costs go. It comes in all sorts of colors, but I think a matte finish would be nice.

• Juliet
    2 years ago

I think for me the counter pattern just doesn't scream "mid-century" to me. I'm actually thinking you should go dark with the backsplash but I'm not a designer and would need to see a mock-up.

What about tile color pulled from one of the colors in the hallway? Do it in a 4x4 tile?

Or, what about something like this: Ivy Hill @ Wayfair?

Or, what about this wall paper?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

BTW, your orig hardware is brass and it tarnishes. I've polished many of these

take some fine steel wood (000 or 0000) and some liquid BarKeepers friend, squirt it on the steel wool and use some elbow grease to remove the tarnish from the knobs. they will shine up like a new penny!

brasso also works

see the campaign hardware on this vintage 60's chest? it's brass, just like your Atomic cabinet knobs

I did the steel wool and both of those cleaners to make them all shiny again.

(I also painted, but that's another matter!)

I also like the black tiles set in a modern stacked layout.

maybe something like this w/a diff flush mount light

\

one with a gold sputnik style light and a white, 3D backsplash tile.

or try this Makoto tile in more of matte finish in a stacked pattern

or, this clay ridged tile would look amazing w/your elements

here's the white, but they have a gold and black too

https://www.tilebar.com/easton-summit-gold-2x9-clay-tile.html

• User
    2 years ago

I agree with Beth on the tile suggestions, and using barkeepers friend for the hardware.

• Juliet
    2 years ago

Ooh, i think i really like the dark tile mock-ups or the Makoto matte tile, above.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

What about task lighting, at night?

• User
    2 years ago

^^ agreed, under cabinet lighting is essential. I especially love leaving it on and turning off the overheads after I've finished cleanup for the night, for a cozier atmosphere. especially when you can see the kitchen from the living room.

• Sam Pendleton
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I wish I had seen Beth's suggestions before I ordered, they really are lovely. And unfortunately I can't return what I've ordered.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

have you asked? When you posted you didn't mention you already ordered the tile.

you don't have a lot of backsplash. could you resell it?

use it somewhere else?

• Juliet
    2 years ago

Don’t keep us in suspense…what did you decide upon & buy?!!

As Beth suggests if you like something better don't settle, find a way to return or re-sell what you already bought.

• awm03
    2 years ago

Thought you might enjoy this Frank Lloyd Wright house kitchen: similar to your granite, your cabinets, your cabinet knobs.

• User
    2 years ago

SWOON. I would do different countertops and floors, but would keep pretty much everything else in that kitchen!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

area of backsplash is small - so in the distant future you could re-do it -

for now can pick a color from entry and enjoy it.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

In the FLW, the floor is the original Cherokee Red concrete. The countertops were probably Formica but could have been stainless. The granite is not a good look.

Sam Pendleton thanked palimpsest
  • Sam Pendleton
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well it's lucky that you don't live here and I do, because I like the granite. I also, as previously mentioned, don't want a complete MCM recreation, more an inspiration. Should I ever sell this house, MCM is far too niche a style to appeal to the majority in rural Wyoming.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I am talking about the FLW kitchen: granite + brick in a historically significant house. I couldn't care less what you do in your own kitchen, honestly.

• Sam Pendleton
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you SeattleMCM, I think the end result will be pretty similar, just updated. The counters were literallyfalling apart, and the floor is definitely on the chopping block. It continues into our dinning room. The cabinets I'm going to attempt to even out, but maintain close to the original color with gel stain. And definitely keep the hardware. It's too cool not to. I do need to walk that line between MCM inspired and Wyoming buyer friendly. I will post photos when it's all done if it turns out nicely. Otherwise, I'll probably be too embarrassed and you'll never know.

• Sam Pendleton
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it's been helpful. I have urchased everything so I hope to update you if everything turns out well.

• Sam Pendleton
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Then I misunderstood your post. Apologies. I thought you were saying the FLW house counters were likely Formica or stainless and that the granite in my photos wasn't a good look. Regardless, they're in and I hope everything turns out looking nice. It's still much better than what was here previously.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Well, one of the reasons that FLW houses often sit on the market is that they are not museums, most of them, but they are historically significant and people are afraid to own them and make changes to them from the original, because those changes get a lot of scrutiny. In a regular old house not everything has to look original, and you are doing a lot more than most people by preserving the original cabinets and hardware.

• User
    2 years ago

I have to admit I don't love granite. but the one you chose has neutral colors and a slightly more mellow pattern compared to most I've seen. if you're a fan of granite, I think you chose a good one!

would love to see updates. I have a house similar to yours and take great fun in seeing what other people do with theirs. ours has a 90s kitchen with shaker cabinets. they're fine, but I wish it came with the original slab doors like yours!

• HU-379772723
    2 years ago

Wow! It's so wonderful that you are keeping those lovely cabinets. FYI, instead of refinishing, there is an alternative that you can use that gently revives the cabs with the hassle (and cost!!) of full refinishing. I've used this for a number of my client's projects and the results are quite astounding. Once you have the cabs cleaned, Howards makes a product called, "Restore-A-Finish". You can find it online, but the closest brick and mortar locale is most often antique stores who often display it at their entrances. It comes in various tones and is a gentle tinted oil with a solvent that smooths out any scratches or nicks and is sort of like a facelift without the heavy involvement of full refinishing. It is wiped on and rubbed, then any excess wiped off and that literally is it!! You can then go back with a furniture polish if you like. I use their Feed 'N Wax, but there are other wood polishes that also work well. If these were mine (I'm so jealous), I would also install inside hardware upgrades such as slide outs; maybe soft closing Blum hinges etc. But I agree with the others that you can also save the original pulls and knobs hardware too. You know, home renovations always deliver extra costs and going over budget is all too common (Ask me how I know!). But this is one project out of all the others where you can truly save on refinishing costs (that labor isn't cheap) and the Restore-A Finish look will be lovely. You might at least try this approach before going full refinishing and then decide. But the Howard's product will bring them back to mint without all the sanding, stripping, and associated mess. All the best to you on this amazing home.

Sam Pendleton thanked HU-379772723
  • PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    2 years ago

Look to see if you have a Kitchen Tune-up near you. They have a process for deep cleaning and restoring cabinets without sanding and refinishing. They could also install some custom sized roll-out trays in your base cabinets to give you more functional storage and access. We work in kitchens of this vintage all the time.

I love the idea of stacked tiles. Maybe a bit longer/narrower tile than typical subway.

Sam Pendleton thanked Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
  • User
    2 years ago

OMG, no, don't use restor-a-finish! honestly, I wish that was taken off the market. some users may have good results, but others (including me) wind up staining the wood unevenly, warranting a full deep sanding. would 100% not recommend.

first, try wiping them with water and see if that makes them instantly look better. if that works, then you'll have your answer: simple, untinted furniture wax will restore them just fine. but if that doesn't work, those cabinets deserve a proper restoration.

• HU-379772723
    2 years ago

SeattleMCM has a good point and so I should have also mentioned to try out the Restore-A-Finish or ANY product in an inconspicous spot. The issue with uneven staining can happen when either the product is left on too long or, also when the original varnish is worn in some spots vs. others which CAN cause the uneven staining which won't look good at all, so you do want to verify before going all in. Although I'm not familiar with Kitchen Tune Up that Rachel mentioned, that also sounds promising.

• barncatz
    2 years ago

Your knobs are gorgeous - wow!

We have the same granite. The opaque inclusions are beautiful and make working on it really enjoyable. (Side note: I've seen some Cambria quartzes that resemble the look.)

I also use Feed N Wax (I buy it online) regularly. Our back wall is made of reclaimed boards and they looked wonderful after I used it on them. There's probably cleaning steps necessary for your cabinets and I'm no wood pro, but thought I'd second its recommendation.