SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

Kitchen floor in our new (to us) home--replace or work around?

tvq1
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are moving in to our new home this November--we are excited, nervous and overwhelmed! We have budgeted for several upgrades and design changes, the major changes being in the kitchen. All appliances will be replaced with stainless steel appliances, the counterops will be replaced with granite, and the backsplash will be replaced with a different tile. We have not chosen the counters or backsplash yet. The cabinets will stay, and I'm not interested in painting them white, I like the warmth of the wood. Of course, the walls will be repainted-color to be determined.

My question is: What to do about the tile floors? They have a very slight yellowish cast which changes depending on the light. This yellowish cast always seems to be the "sticking point" when I'm looking at counters, etc. The last picture is most representative of the color. I really don't know if I should just bite the bullet and replace them now, or work around it and learn to live with it. This tile is also in the entry, laundry room and 3 bathrooms.

The floors in the rest of the house are a "hand scraped" hickory wood, not laminate. I really like the wood floors, but I don't want wood in the kitchen or entry areas.

If I replace the tile I was considering a larger format creamy white porcelain tile. Ideas? Suggestions? Opinions?

EDITED TO ADD: The furniture/decor is NOT ours, these pics are from the listing!

Suggestions on counters and backsplash would be wonderful also! Here is a kitchen with a counter and backsplash that I really like, and I think would be pretty with our current cabinets:

Comments (16)