SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_lam32

Thoughts on fridge placement

pkp
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're currently redoing our kitchen and I could use some advice on fridge placement.

Our current planned layout looks like this:

The planned floor plan looks like this:

The planned fridge location is marked by the blue arrow. It's embedded within a pantry area and we're creating a coat closet behind the fridge that opens up on the other side, which is the foyer. To the right of the fridge (our right looking at the floor plan from above) is an L-shaped pantry.

I've been thinking about whether to move the fridge over to the other side of the pantry where the red circle is. If we do that, then we can scrap the coat closet and just make the entire pantry a rectangular pantry that encompasses the current planned fridge location and coat closet location. The coat closet isn't that important to us either way.

Any thoughts on which fridge location would be better?

My thoughts were that if we stay with the current plan, the fridge is more centrally located within the kitchen and next to the kitchen island/closer to the dining extension on the island, which could be convenient when taking things in and out of the fridge. However, our pantry is an L-shape, which to me seems a bit weird and feels like an inefficient use of space.

On the other hand, if we move the fridge to the red circle, we get a larger normal shaped pantry, which I like. However, I'm wary of putting the fridge in the corner of the kitchen like that. Initially I didn't like that idea because I was afraid of blocking the walkway from the dining room and also that area feeling too crowded. But I realized that the amount of walkway blockage is probably relatively similar in both areas and since we're opening up the wall behind the stove, it won't feel as crowded. And I'm not sure whether the fridge in the corner is a good thing (closer to the stove) or a bad thing (less central, not as adjacent to the island, possibly would feel like more walkway blockage). We're also scrapping the bar chairs next to the stove if that matters.

Any thoughts on which choice would be better would be appreciated!

Stick with the current plan (blue arrow)
Move the fridge to the red circle

Comments (7)