SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shibby3030

Home has old chipped paint in exterior and interior of home. Lead+

shibby3030
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there-

I'm shopping for a home and there is an old home from the 1950s that is in disrepair. All the exterior wood trim areas of the home are old and all the chipped paint and will definitely need to be removed and repainted.

All the windows are old single panel windows and much of the window sills have all chipped and peeling paint.

I took a sample of this paint chip and using the 3M Lead detector, it came up positive for lead.

This is kinda concerning for me cause the entire home has chipping and worn paint in all the wood trim areas inside and outside.

Do I even consider pursuing this home specifically in terms of the lead paint? Generally I am not concerned about lead paint in older homes that have been maintained well and not have allowed the paint to chip off everywhere.

Because this home was left to allow so much of the paint to chip and deteriorate everywhere, can the whole home be considered a lead hazard at this point?

I have a 6 yr old and 4 yr old kid.

What are the potential costs to properly remediate this home for lead? I would plan on replace all the windows to double panel windows, but I don't know what trims of wood need to be entirely replaced, or just carefully resanded or shaved, and repainted.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus