SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chad_steinke

increase circulation in addition above garage

Chad S
2 years ago

The house I purchased had an addition put on above the garage which has a bathroom, living area and master bedroom. It’s a split level house.

From the main floor, there are eight stairs up to the addition. Underneath the stairs is the the garage. I figured out last year they were not insulated. I will insulate under those.

I think the stairs almost create a block someway preventing air movement.

The addition uses baseboard heat and ductless AC units. The air doesn’t move from main floor to the addition or vs versa. The bathroom has an electric in wall vent looking heater.

Humidity control, heat and air purification and circulation is extremely difficult since there isn’t any exchange up there. I have ceiling fans, I run the fan in the bathroom and even purchased a smaller air purifier.

The furnace and ac are 30 years old and were sized for the house without the addition.

Could I add an air return from the addition to the furnace and add a single duct for new conditioned air/heat?

Any other ideas on how to circulate the air to the addition and remove the existing air?

The bottom level of the split has rooms with vents and poorly spaced air returns, one being in a closet with a through wall vent plate from closet to the room, which doesn’t work….

Bottom floor is used very minimal other than the laundry room. It has a movie room and rec area along with house mechanicals. Other than laundry, the other areas are used maybe five days a month.

Staircase from the front entrance and garage goes down eight stairs and up eight stairs is open. The stairs going to the addition doesn’t have a door and is 15’ from the open staircase.

My electric due to the baseboard heat last year during February was over $600.00.

There is insulation under the addition with drywall covering it in the garage.

Open to ideas…. Also on a budget like everyone else..

Comments (26)