SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Eucalyptus outdoor furniture

Lars
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We bought a eucalyptus outdoor bistro table for our patio, partly because I could not find a table the right size in teak or acacia, but I have always been leery of eucalyptus furniture, ever since one of our trips to Catalina, during which we took a bus tour of the island, and the tour guide told us a story about the eucalyptus trees in California, many of which are on Catalina. He said that some Australian swindlers convinced some investors in California to buy eucalyptus trees or seedlings from them, and the swindlers told the buyers that the trees would grow quickly and could then be used in construction and for building furniture. The guide then told us that after the buyers bought and grew the trees, they discovered that the wood was worthless for construction (due to splitting), and so they exclaimed to the Australians: "You clipped us!" Hence the name "eucalyptus" for the trees.

I don't believe that this is how the tree got its name, but it did make me cautious when considering eucalyptus as a wood.

Here's the table we bought:

Shown with two barstools that came with the house that we painted and reupholstered.

The seats on these barstools swivel, but the footrest is not ergonomic, and the seat is very small.

The table is placed opposite the spa, and so we have a nice view of the pool and spa from this table.

We have teak barstools in L.A. that we really are not using, and so we will bring those back to use with this table the next time we return. We can store these gray barstools beside the house.

The table came with care instructions, which said that we should oil the table with linseed oil. I did not have any linseed oil when I assembled the table, and so I waxed the top instead. The wax made some white streaks that I had to buff out, and I will not put any more wax on this table and will get some linseed oil to finish it instead, when we bring the teak barstools back.

The care instructions also said to protect the table from harsh weather conditions, or else the wood will crack, and our harsh weather occurs in the summer, when it can get extremely hot.

Do you think that linseed oil will help protect the wood from cracking in the summer? I will store the table in the house during the weeks that we are not here, as it is easy to move and easily fits through the patio doors.

Do you have any experience with eucalyptus furniture, especially in extreme heat?

Here's some info comparing eucalyptus with teak.

Comments (19)