SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

Roses and pumpkins and deer

My property is divided into two parts by a fence. I garden on both sides of the fence but I dont put any alfalfa tea or fish emulsion on the road side of the fence because I don’t want to attract the deer. In all honesty that area has the best sun exposure and no tree roots so I don’t think those plants really need additional help.

I do use Milorganite everywhere as i read the smell helps to discourage critters. We are apparently on some deer/elk migratory pattern and they tend to go through yards and dry creekbeds vs roads to travel in our neighborhood.

So far the deer, elk and bunnies have all left the roses I have growing on the other side of the fence alone.

The kids would REALLY like pumpkins but they don’t like it on my side of the fence.

My question is this…Do you think if I add pumpkins on the others side of the fence it will draw the attention of the critters?

Since I can’t see what’s going on over there easily it is very important to me that I don’t attract their attention. On my side of the fence I have fishing line, spray and the dogs as deterrents. None of which always work but they do ok.

On the other side of the fence they are on their own.

Do you think the smell of pumpkins would be ebough to raise their curiosity or do you think the roses and fruit trees planted over there would have already done so?

I’ve tried growing pumpkins on my side of the fence but there isn’t enough sun

Comments (15)

Sponsored