SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycaptreno

Need floorplan input for NYC co-op apartment

Randy Tabing
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi! I'd like to get input on the floorplan for a co-op we just purchased in the West Village of New York City. The apt is in a historic building that was retrofitted with primarily loft-like studios in the '80's, with 10' ceilings. Our unit is the combination of 3 studios, 2 side by side and 1 above, connected by an open, internal stairway. Officially, this is a 2 bedroom, 3 bath apt, but due to our requirements, we are OK to make it a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath apt. Here are our requirements:

1. Add washer dryer (likely in former wet area of walk-in closet, near first floor entrance)

2) Add closets to upstairs bedroom and master bedroom

3) Partition off master bedroom (was designated living room in original floor plan) from first floor entrance

a. Consider using glass and iron partition wall, and/or large movable door(s) to create the partition, with opaque glass for privacy

4) Remove bathroom near kitchen; replace with space for small dining table and built-in storage (pantry, etc.)

5) Add powder room near first floor entrance

6) Add additional storage space alongside entry closet

I've included the original floorplan, and a proposed floorplan that the prior owners provided to help them market the apt (it worked!). We are in the process of working with an architect within the next 2 weeks, but I wanted to get some ideas before seeing what the architect has to say about the floorplan.

As with any NYC apt., the biggest challenge is incorporating adequate storage space. The proposed plan adds closets, but in my mind, this is barely adequate. And I also just learned that we won't be able to create the big closet in the loft bedroom, as we need to keep egress for the entrance 2 and the fire escape accessed via the window. That, and the way to partition off the master bedroom, while still maintaining an open, loft-like feel are our major challenges.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments (5)