SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_lmnop

Please help with awkward kitchen layout (1890s home) - Updates!

_lmnop
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Edited to add updates & cabinet renderings.

Thank you again for your ideas and suggestions on my original post (below). We decided to lose the island and are going to build a counter-height table with a large apron that has 4 drawers. This is similar to what we are planning to build:

Losing the island allows us to have a good-sized pantry in the corner. Question: is it better to go with two smaller pantry cabinets side-by-side or one larger pantry? We're considering one 48" pantry instead of two side-by-side 30" pantries so we have a little wall space.

Our plumber has assured us we can either figure out a radiant hydronic system or suggested an electric radiant mat under a wood floor (any experience with either of those? Please let me know!), or we can move the radiator between the two windows in the kitchen.

We are looking for a classic, timeless tone for the kitchen. We are planning to stay here for the rest of our lives, if possible, and don't want to renovate the kitchen again.

We are working with Cabinet Joint on RTA inset wood cabinets in the main kitchen and white cabinets in the skullery. We have white painted cabinets now and I dislike them, so I hope I don't regret that. Kitchen countertops will be soapstone and we're planning to have a soapstone top installed on the table. We'll use butcherblock countertops in the skullery.

A couple of notes about the cabinet rendering: upper cabinets will go up to the ceiling and (except for the over-fridge cab) will be the same depth as the cabinet above the microwave. I think we'll need to lose the lazy susan in the corner because there is likely not enough space for a reasonable opening so we may end up with a blind corner cabinet. We are in the process of finalizing the measurements and the cabinet design.

Recommendations for medium wood-tone cabinets and paint colors that coordinate with the cabinets, soapstone & brass lights would be helpful. I like the BM Historical paint colors.

We will be looking for under cabinet lighting next. Photos of the lights we bought are below as well.

Thank you for your ideas, thoughts and comments!

Main kitchen area:

Skullery - right side is a pass through to the built-in in the dining room.

Skullery - desk area with hallway to the right.

Lights for above kitchen sink and ceiling light in pantry:

Light for above kitchen table:

Original post:

Thank you again for all the comments, advice and encouragement. I appreciate hearing that a functional kitchen can be achieved even in an old house with a weird layout.

First floor layout (not to scale):

Kitchen with dimensions labeled, but not drawn to scale:

After we measured the space including the closets we realized that we may be able to get an L-shaped kitchen if we lose the current doorway to the bathroom/mudroom, which is a possibility. We would need to create a hallway to the bathroom/mudroom through the scullery/butler's pantry and would lose the countertop that is shown below the chimney in the first floor layout. We planned to take down the chimney anyway.

New L-shaped layout idea:

We are a family of four with two young kids (6 & 7). We cook & eat at home together pretty much every night. Our kitchen is also used for schoolwork & kids art projects, etc. and is definitely the heart of our home. I prefer sitting at a kitchen table and don't want to be lined up at an island for eating, but would compromise for an L shaped island for seating. We need 4 seats at the island. We have a basement and are not on a slab. The ceiling height in the main kitchen is 9 ft. and 8 ft in the scullery. We don't know if the wall above the closets is load-bearing, but believe that it is. The wall above the current range is load bearing.

Appliances we're considering:

LG Fridge (narrower to fit into 36" cabinetry) : Dims: 32-3/4" width x 35-1/2" depth x 69-7/8" height

If we need a counter-depth fridge: GE Fridge

Range: Dims: Standard height; 31.5" width and the cooktop goes over the countertop on the R/L sides

Microwave (we've been thinking over-the-range, but may be able to accommodate one on an upper shelf. We don't want below the counter or a drawer.)

Dishwasher: Bosch something or other. Standard size

Sink: double bowl undermount. If we have the sink at the island, we would likely use something like this trash pullout under the sink so we can fit a seat at the end of the island. My spouse thinks having the DW and sink in the island will be tight and said he doesn't mind a sink that faces the wall, but I'm not sure about that?? He does most of the cleanup so his words carry weight. Sort of like this one, maybe.

Original post:

We are trying to figure out a new layout for our kitchen renovation in an 1890s awkward kitchen. We'd don't want to do an addition and I would prefer not to open up the kitchen to the living room and dining room. We need to keep the entry to the bathroom/mudroom and the entrance to the right of the closets. The three windows are 60" tall and 18" off the floor and we'd like to keep them as they're original.

The image shows our current layout. The main kitchen area is about 13'x13' and the butler's pantry is 8'x7' or so. Our first thought was to move the appliances into butler's pantry with the fridge, dw, & sink on one wall and the range next to pass through on the opposite wall. We would then extend the countertop from the sink to the right with a long peninsula extending into the main kitchen area. Our next thought was to have the dw & sink more or less where they are with the same peninsula extending to the right, range next to the pass through, and build in the fridge where it is with a pantry to the right (we'd need to lose the radiator in the corner). I'd love to use the big area for the main kitchen and keep the butler's pantry separate, if that is possible, but there are just so many openings! Your suggestions are appreciated & please let me know if additional photos would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!