SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_906016448

Building a Home on My Lot

Eric
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Looking to build 2500 sq ft. house in TX Hill Country on my acreage lot.

I want quality, but I don't need luxury. Houzz "cost slider" seems to present a false dichotomy of low price vs. quality. I don't think they are opposites. For example if you were buying a car in 1990, you could get low price and quality by buying a Toyota, but it wouldn't be "luxury."

I first sought out "custom home builders" but as I suspected they present themselves as "luxury" builders. Cost for house of the size I want is too high. I don't need marble from Mount Olympus, or anything architecturally difficult.

On the other hand, David Weekley will build on your lot, and for a smaller house like I mention, probably for around $175/sq ft - but I am concerned about reading that they have classes to teach their employees how to not pay contractors. I want happy contractors, and jobs done right.

Something in the $225-$250/sq ft. might be workable for me, if I can get good quality, but how would I go about finding such a builder? I searched for "semi-custom" in houzz but the results weren't meaningful.

Comments (18)