SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unitedmarsupials

What's wrong with my boiler?

doofus
2 years ago

Our Peerless Purefire boiler is about 11 years old. Last November it got serious service and worked great all winter.

In April, when the heating season ended, we started having strange problems with hot water (DHW): some times it was barely lukewarm... Not always, but some times.

When it happens, the boiler's controller knows, the water is barely warm -- on its status screen, the temperature is shown as about 85°F -- but, despite my cranking the DHW-temperature setting all the way up to 195°F, does not do anything about it! The boiler status is "Standby" -- it is not even trying to reach the requested 195°F!

The HVAC company, who serviced it 11 months ago, have tried several times to figure it out, and have now officially given up. Without an error code, they say, they cannot call the manufacturer. They now want to replace the boiler, ha-ha...

Leaving their conflict of interest aside, what can possibly be wrong with the equipment? My suspicion is, during the maintenance, some logical setting got reset, which didn't have an effect during winter -- because the system is configured to use the heating water to warm up DHW ("heat dump")...

What can I do? It'd be a shame to throw out the machine over a logical misconfiguration, if that's, what it is... Quite expensive too...

Comments (20)