SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_622259397

Does it hurt to leave a surge protector on with nothing plugged in?

No Name
2 years ago

I bought 2 surge protectors. I made sure they were UL rated and had a "protected" light that goes out when the surge protector reaches the end of its life. 1 I will have plugged in with the TV, wifi and DVD player. This one I'll leave on 24/7 because I'll leave those 3 devices plugged in all the time. The wifi will run constantly and I'll turn the DVD player and TV off with the remote. I'm not worried about this one, the one I'm worried about is the one on my nightstand. I put screws into my nightstand and affixed the surge protector to it by the indents in the back for the screw heads (I did this also for the one that the TV will use) plugged it into the wall, and turned it on. When I went to bed I plugged my tablet and cellphone in and went to bed. When I woke up, I unhooked the devices and unplugged both chargers from the surge protector. I then debated that since nothing is plugged into the surge protector, if I should turn it on or off. I decided to just leave it on, so that the next night I could just plug the cellphone in and not have to fool with the switch. The indicator lights don't bother me at night, I can sleep with the main lights on. My only worry is leaving it on all day long with nothing plugged into it. Sometimes If I don't use my phone any during the day I'll just skip plugging it in at night, so it'll be on day and night, with nothing plugged into it. I'm not worried about the other one being on all the time because at least something is plugged into, but I'm worried about this one being left on with nothing plugged into it.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!